A couple questions about my old i/o transom

Hey all,

First off, let me say this is a terrific forum and I'm excited to be here. I've been reading here for weeks but I can't seem to find the specifics I'm looking for. I've got an 85 Chris Craft with a GM 3.8 and an 800 Stringer Drive. The transom has gotten soft where the swim ladder hardware let moisture seep in over the years. The deck and stringers are all solid. The engine and drive are in good working condition and I'm not really interested in yanking it all out to repair the transom. Seacast certainly has it's appeal to that end.

My plan is to remove the outdrive and intermediate gear case, cut and remove the rearmost section of the upper cap to expose the top of the transom and going forward with a Seacast repair. The transom has an inner skin and with the intermediate housing out of the way, access shouldn't be an issue.

My question is, once the old wood is removed, how do i seal off the outdrive opening when preparing to pour the Seacast? It seems logical to fabricate a wooden ring to the shape of the opening and pour the Seacast around it, but that's just my inexperienced mind at work. The giant rubber boot makes me think that the transom on a Stringer drive boat doesn't need to be solid as a rock to be safe, but I'd like a good repair that I can handle at home. I like this boat and I'm overall happy with the OMC and 3.8 so it's worth fixing in my opinion. Am I thinking my plan out in the right direction? Any thoughts on properly sealing off that outdrive opening? Do I even need to remove the intermediate housing with all the extra room afforded by the giant rubber boot?

All of your opinions are welcome and thanks in advance!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: A couple questions about my old i/o transom

depends on how far the rot is away from the boot...you wont know till you get in there.

i have not used the seacast method before...so im just guessing.....

but i dont see why your plywood rig wouldnt work. sea cast ...as a liquid...just needs a mould to go into....plug the holes and thats your mould

oops!

Supreme Mariner

btw.....

WELCOME TO I BOATS

cheers
oops

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You could just pour the whole transom by closing the big hole with plywood from the inside and outside.The Seacast you can cut the whole out with a good jigsaw.You have the outer skin as a pattern.
The wooden ring is not a bad idea either.It would save you from wasting the Seacast you would cut out.If you go the ring method duct tape the hole up then put the ring in there.The Seacast takes a good 1 to 2 hours to cook and it will ooze out any holes.
Make sure the transom is braced up good so it can not sag outward,everything is straight and square.
Post some pictures if you have them let us see..:)

Welcome aboard!!

ryn8a

Recruit

The deck and stringers are all solid. The engine and drive are in good working condition and I'm not really interested in yanking it all out to repair the transom. Seacast certainly has it's appeal to that end.

My plan is to remove the outdrive and intermediate gear case, cut and remove the rearmost section of the upper cap to expose the top of the transom and going forward with a Seacast repair. The transom has an inner skin and with the intermediate housing out of the way, access shouldn't be an issue.

All of your opinions are welcome and thanks in advance!

Hi there, I live in Norcross and just bought a 86 sunbird that I want to do seacast on. If we order together, we can save a little. PM me if your interested.

10 FOOT INVADER

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in lawrenceville and would join in a group by of sea cast. Might be able to help each other out using the stuff.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi there VintageBlueOval and welcome !!! this is a great place isnt it !!! Just wanted to say welcome, your in great hands !!!! John