Trip to Keys

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are planning a trip from Pascagoula, MS to the Keys. Will leave MS and head down the intercoastal waterway most of the time. Since Katrina can anyone tell us what to look out for as far as gas availability, storm debris, and best way to go.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Trip to Keys

What size boat are you in???

Why the intra-coastal the whole way? Gonna be really slow-going through all the no-wake zones!

There is a good book called The Hungry Boater's Guide to Florida's West Coast. It has lots of places to stop for food and fuel as well as some waterside hotels and the likes.​

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 26' Searay Sundancer, and we had decided not to try a straight shot to keys. I thought the intercoastal waterway was not all a no wake zone. We just wanted to stop every evening after traveling all day. So we would make a west coast trip to keys. We could skirt the coast further out if needed. Thanks for the info on the book.
Thanks,

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Do remember one thing - when you pass Marco Island there will be no fuel stops until Key West. ( I prefer to call it Key Wasted ). You could make the cut into Marathon but it would add 30 to 40 miles to your trip. Another alternate route would be to hit Ft. Myer's and cut across the state through the waterway. That would put you in Ft. Pierce and the cruise south will have marina's everywhere. BUT - it will add two days onto your travel time. Plus you would need to call the locks and verify that they are operating. Pretty much a pain in the ***** truthfully. But an alternative and a very beautiful ride if you're not in a hurry.

studlymandingo

Commander

Do remember one thing - when you pass Marco Island there will be no fuel stops until Key West.

There is a place in Everglades City where you can refuel if necessary.

I would highly recommend running the Gulf during the day, and planning for your stops on the IC as you need fuel and rest, or for some point of interest along the way.​

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice.

So, you can cut across the state, I was not aware of that. Do you enter the canal at Ft. Myers and ends at ???? on east coast?

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been looking at the Okeechobee waterway on internet. Are there places to tie up and refuel, eat, and other functions needed or do you stay in the canal until you reach lake Okeechobee? It looks beautiful.

We are just going to take our time and not get in a hurry. We plan on leaving Pascagoula, MS and stop at Gulf Shores, Ala. and then to Destin and then to Panama City, and then to Tampa and then to Ft.Myers and across or head for the keys. Any suggestions on what to look for as far as issues? Thanks again.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Crossing through Fl. via the Okeechobee Waterway is a most beautiful ride - however with the Big "O" being so low there will be several locks that might not be operational. I know as of yesterday that Ortona is down and has no plans on opening for a bit ( whatever that means ). It's a crap shot at this time. Here's a good link to browse :http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/sfoo/index.html

studlymandingo

Commander

Okeechobee is going to add some time to the trip; if it's all about the trip and not the destination, then look more into it. Most people do shoot from Ft Meyers/ Naples area straight to Key West.​

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I contacted the canal management and they are down until July 22 for inspections and such.

Thanks for all the input.