'93 Monark Pro 1900 DC Rebuild Preparations

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So with the winter months comes the start of my rebuild, but I have a quick question for you veteran builders before I get started. My plan is to replace the floor boards and use vinyl instead of carpet on the floor and lower side rails for easy washdown, recarpet sides and gunnels, and R&R whatever else (foam, transom, etc) I find when knee deep in it. So my first question, of possibly many to come, is what is the best way to remove the rivots currently holding the floor boards and side walls down? I'm guessing drilling them out? My last project was a 12ft alum rebuild so this is a big step up, but when the g/f says "you need a bigger boat" and I can pick this one up for $1700 (sold 12ft for $1500 so only out $200 so far), how can i argue?

When I start the work I will post up some more pics but here's a couple to give an idea of what Im working with
069.jpg

monarkproject004.jpg

monarkproject001.jpg

~RNP

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: '93 Monark Pro 1900 DC Rebuild Preparations

So my first question, of possibly many to come, is what is the best way to remove the rivots currently holding the floor boards and side walls down? I'm guessing drilling them out?

Welcome to Iboats RNP :) ..

I am wondering where all the tinny guys are ;) .

I would think that drilling them rivets would be the best way to remove them. Drill and punch them out.

Pushing this thread up top :D

YD.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Now, YD, you know most of them TinHeads hang out at the super exclusive, luxury lounge over at the SC owner's group forum
yikes.gif

Now that he's on to a SeaNymph Jas & Jig should be swinging thru any time now.....

Drilling out the rivets sounds like a good plan...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Now, YD, you know most of them TinHeads hang out at the super exclusive, luxury lounge over at the SC owner's group forum
yikes.gif

Now that he's on to a SeaNymph Jas & Jig should be swinging thru any time now.....

See now.. I was thinking the same thing before I stood still and though it through.

Im sure we have a luxury lounge over at the " Baby Powder Filled Suit Casual Forum " ( BPFSCF ) that we can get it going strong .. I will bring the Tea :D .

One can only hope :D .

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'll bring the Crumpets!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'll bring the Crumpets!!!

Dude .. you soo said you would bring the Bee.. um .. soda pop next time !

Now if we can get a Mod to throw up a few scones .. It will be munch munch :)

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I thought this was an ENGLISH FORMAL party!!! Now if we're talkin RedNeck Cook Out I will live up to my Promise!!!!:p

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Gonna have to tag along and see how this one goes,..........

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yikes.gif

See, that's where one of my first dilemma began when looking at starting this restoration. While the boat is a '93 Monark, it actually has a SC hull number, so I'm guessing I'm a bit of an orphan here. But wth, its a tinny. Thanks for the conformation on the rivets as that was how I removed the starboard side panel to replace the steering cable but wasnt sure it was the best method. Working this week on clearing some more space in garage to place things and then should get it underway. Gears always spinning in the brain though, the more I read and look at costs the more "alternative" ideas I have. Already scraping the vinyl idea and looking at Tuff Coat or Durabak.

~RNP

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat! Gonna be a lot more comfy than that 12 footer. Good Luck!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Wondering .. where are the tin tins now :) ..

Mini bump..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The DC threw me off in the title, I thought it was a dual console glasser. That windshield configuration is actually a WT (walk thru) and not a DC.

Drilling the blind rivets out is best, start with a 3/16" dia. bit... if that doesn't work move up to a 1/4", but I'll bet they're 3/16" dia.

You can do a complete vinyl install and not have to worry about any wet carpeting, I did mine that way and love it.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ir/97-tracker-pro-deep-v-facelift-509163.html

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The DC threw me off in the title, I thought it was a dual console glasser. That windshield configuration is actually a WT (walk thru) and not a DC.

I used the DC in the title because that actually is the model. Why? Who knows. I like the vinyl job you did on yours and originally that was the idea. I'm weighing the costs between vinyl and Tuff Coat as well as time for each. At 19ft its alot of surface to cover either way.

~RNP

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a fan of carpet,.....

Easier to instal, Cooler in the summer, And not as slippery during snowstorms when winter fishing,....

Of the two options your looking at a good marine vinyl wood be my choice,....It will function well and look much better than sprayed on or painted on coverings,...

My 2 cents,............

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a fan of carpet,.....
And not as slippery during snowstorms when winter fishing,....

Luckily, here in central Kalifonistan thats not much of a problem. LOL! Point taken though, however, I've had carpet previously on a couple different boats and for fishing and cleaning Im just not a fan

~RNP