transom and floor replacement

erikgreen

Captain
Re: transom and floor replacement

From my point of view that's a really nice gelcoat spray job.

I don't think anyone has ever gotten it to lay out flat and glossy after spraying, everyone just plans on getting an orange peel finish and then sanding after.

With regard to spray guns, I think you're brave to try this without a gelcoat specific gun. I know I wouldn't try spraying more than a tiny amount without using a dedicated dump gun - the kind that has a large paper cup on back so you can discard any gel that kicks too fast.

Sand away, and post pics! This'll be inspirational :)

Erik

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

The reason I didnt use the dumpgun was out of ignorance. I dint know it would kick so quickly and I didnt know the dumpguns were made for that purpose. I knew there would be orange peel but this is about 1/8"deep. Oh well just more sanding. My garage is turning yellow from dust. I will try to post pics every night of my progress. I am now using 180 paper to knock down the texture which is the hard part. After that it is easy top sand out scratches.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Pic's, pic's, pic's.
Hey SKIBUM1M,
Glad to hear you are making progress will be looking forward to the pic's.
Bob

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Hey skibum I was looking through your post (again) and was wondering if you used only resin on your deck? Did you apply any csm or cloth to it?
Thanks,
boatflipper

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I used cloth strips on all the seams about 2 inches wide and 2 layers of cloth to tab it in around the edges.
Pics from tonight coming soon.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

[Tonight was pretty productive. I got half the planing surface sanded with 180, 240, and 400grit. My arms about to fall off but here are the pics.
DSC00530.jpg

This is with it wet. looks purty dont she.
DSC00531.jpg

Another wet
IMG]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/skibum1m/DSC00532.jpg[/IMG]
dry
DSC00533.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

A good before and after shot
DSC00535.jpg

At an angle it looks real shiney
Hopefully I can get the other side done tomorrow night. Then a day on each gunwhale and another night or 2 with the finer grits and I canbuff it out then flip it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
That is really coming along great. I can't wait to see it all shinny.:D:D
Great Job.
Bob

P.S.I may have to re-gelcoat mine after seeing yours. :p

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bob it is a ton of work if you do. I am expecting at least 60 hours of sanding. And spraying it was one of the most stressful things I have ever done because the clock is ticking the whole time. But I have the time so for me it will be well worth it If my test area is any indication.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob it is a ton of work if you do. I am expecting at least 60 hours of sanding. And spraying it was one of the most stressful things I have ever done because the clock is ticking the whole time. But I have the time so for me it will be well worth it If my test area is any indication.

It looks terrific. I just started priming my boat and the work involved is unbelievable. I wish I had the patience to do as much prep as you. The PO spraypainted over everything on my boat! Agh! The more I sand the more stickers that he spraypainted over I find and am scraping them off. I am looking into a filler primer to conceal ridges so I do not have to spend so much time getting it down to bare aluminum using the wire wheel.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that looks amazing. I guess with gel coat, if you can get it the heck on there semi-evenly, you can really fix it up with proper sanding. Great work.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great skibum! I'm really interested in seeing exactly how you buff it out. Keep on sanding!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Way to go skibum! Finally made the scary plunge. I'm glad it went on well enough. Not sure if it will help at this late stage, but I found wet sanding to save a ton of paper and sand much faster. If you can setup a garden sprayer with some slightly soapy water, you can get one hand on the sprayer and the other on the sander. Be prepared, though, as it does speed things up a lot. I don't want to get blamed if you sand through thinking it is the same as dry sanding ;)

Either way, great shine on that prelim sanding. If I ever get a boat without chines I'll seriously considering gelcoat. Do you think the orange peel you got would be enough for grit on a deck?

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

looking real good! So what you have about 60 hours yet? Or 60 hours for all the sanding total?
Keep up the good work.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I spent $40 on sandpaper today and it is coming along much faster now. I just used 180 on the da and sanded the other half of the planing surface in an hour. Tonight I will do 240 da then 320 da then 400 dry, 400 wet, 600 wet, 800 wet, then 1200 wet. Then buff corse with wool and fine with foam pad. I know its a ton of work but I will stay on it till 3 am if I need to. Ill be real happy if I can get the whole planing surface buffed out tonight. If I had another person I could have this thing done in 2 days. Micks, I figure 60 hours total for the hull. The cap will be another story because there is alot of areas I cant use the da in so it will be alot more hand sanding but luckily less area to cover. My da keeps slowing down, spitting chunks of ice out of it, then speeding up again. I am going to have to warm the garage up a bit tonight

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I heard one of the best quotes on this site, "Use sandpaper like its free"

Sadly, its not free :(

Looks great man!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
Thanks for the info. I believe you when you say it's a lot of work and time but if your results come out as good as I think it will. It will be absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see the end result.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with you about sandpaper. Use it like its free but it is far from it. Bob, I want to see it finished more than anyone because it will mean I dont have to sand anymore. The da is really making quick work of it. I use a new sheet over what I have done to get the fine pits out, then as the paper starts to wear out I move to the fresh areas. It seems to stretch the paper a bit further. As soon as I can get the kids in bed I will go out and start sanding. Last night I was cleaning yellow out of every oriface in my body.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking Great! Your DA is spitting ice? you are dedicated:D Boy she's gonna look good though.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I have good news my wagner still works after alot of cleaning and scraping. The bad news is I sanded thru the gelcoat in a couple spots so I had to respray those areas. I got lazy and tried to da over the keel instead of hand sanding it. While I was spraying anyway I sprayed an area that you could see thru the gelcoat to see lines from the filler under it. Oh well poop hapens. The areas I resprayed came out much smoother. When the gelcoat kicked in the gun I should have just stopped and I would have had alot less sanding. I guess all the goals for tonight are now goals for tomorrow night.