90 Spectrum 1950 I/O outboard conversion

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all I am nearing heading to the water to see the end result of my outboard swap to the old Spectrum. I've had the boat for a while and done quite a bit of work to it. I probably should've sold it long ago but I know every inch of it mainly since I've gutted it and built it back up.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...ation project/20150526_152046_zpsrddtsf2k.jpg

My reason for the engine bracket and outboard conversion was simply because parts for the 2.3 OMC outdrive are not as readily available as I would like. Last year was a rough one I lost the upper gear set and after that was taken care of I had a problem with the motor not running out like it should. After several times at the lake and many tours to the parts store I had enough and was set to buy a new boat, but that comes with a payment for new new and a possible previous problem with a used new boat. So here I am. I sold the whole outdrive crank to prop and bought a 93 merc 115hp and built a engine bracket to mount it on.

I've researched the engine bracket quite a bit and decided what i wanted i could've called a manufacturer to build me one, but that's not the way i do things and quite expensive. The transom was brand new 2 years ago so i had no reservations there and really my only concern was the weight difference and placement. To my surprise my weight balance on the trailer is very close to the same. The engine bracket is water tight and displaces about 35 gallons of water. We know cause we filled it up and measured the amount we took out.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...ation project/20190721_154108_zpswovt9ush.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums...ation project/20190721_154125_zpsdguv3h1w.jpg

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the hot ticket for photo uploads here? I have a photobucket account but don't really like it to well. Supermotors is my other choice but kinda old and dated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, I just upload them to the iboats site.
I don't host or store them anywhere else.

For some reason, lots of people have problems uploading them, especially from a phone.
I usually use the "upload attachments" button- third button from the top right corner;
but sometimes use the "share" button - looks like a camera in the top left corner,
or the "image" button - 3rd row from the top and 3rd button from the left.

Hosting them and sharing is different with every hosting site.
Most here have stopped using photobuchet since they held our libraries hostage and made you pay to access or share it.

The boat looks good, and should scoot along well with that motor.

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Roscoe I'm gonna give resizing a whirl in the phone. Looks like it works to a certain degree.

Attachments

• photo317760.jpg
    photo317760.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not real sure I like having everything coming it out the transom together like this. I'm thinking maybe fuel and shift lines on the other side. I'm not real keen on making another hole in the boat, but at least it's above the percieved water line I snapped some pictures of the bracing for the transom. I may still add a support at the back to put the weight of the transom on the frame rails. It seems pretty solid though. The motor tucks up nicely to beach the boat but it comes in contact with the now useless tow eye if tiltled to far. I'm just about ready to go to the water now still have to get the steering wheel made to fit the new steering gear.

Attachments

• photo317760.jpg
    photo317760.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • photo317764.jpg
    photo317764.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • photo317765.jpg
    photo317765.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • photo317766.jpg
    photo317766.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

chevymaher

Commander
What is the hot ticket for photo uploads here? I have a photobucket account but don't really like it to well. Supermotors is my other choice but kinda old and dated.

Post image works well if you want a storage site.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would definitely not feel comfortable leaving that hole remaining.

The constant push and release pressure of the bracket with the motor thrust along with some deflection would have me worrying about that rear sealant leaking earlier than expected.

If that seal fails badly, you will not have much time to fix it before the boat is flooded/swamped.

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
I understand what your saying but that hole was there with the outdrive and the boat only almost sunk once. Mainly due to the rotted transom which cracked a thru-hull fitting. The inside support should keep the push pull to a minimum. The bilge pumps are automatic, the bracket is buoyant, and all the flotation foam has been updated so we're gonna take our chances. The boat only needs to work for me for another year before I can line up for a new boat, but if it works good I may just buy a new outboard and keep it a while longer.

This will make your boat no good

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got her floated today. No leaks, engine ran fine. I'm going to have to drop the motor down 1st 1 inch. The closer I got to 40mph the more the prop was wanting to blow out even with trim in. I'm very pleased today. I even got it to float a couple inches higher in the water.

Attachments

• photo318076.jpg
    photo318076.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • photo318077.jpg
    photo318077.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today we took the boat back to the lake after dropping the motor 1.5" or 2 holes down. She ran perfect I can run all the way out full plane and not blow out the prop. Top speed appears to be 37mph on gps. There are no issues with handling and it can make a hard turns with no issues. I think I could bring the motor up 1 hole but I don't know I'd it would gain any real speed advantage. The prop is a 19 pitch 3 blade turbo prop. I can't give specifics on engine RPM until next time out don't have the new tach yet.

https://youtu.be/cWAN7hvovLQ

https://youtu.be/6gIIsduXdnU

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you ever just buy a boat because it was just too good of a deal to pass on?

Attachments

• photo319249.jpg
    photo319249.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0