9 Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: 9 Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

Another one that is on its way out that is a bit more controversial is negotiated 'job security' ;)(....bit of a tie in there to the postal workers:D)
BP:):cool:

Job security has been replaced by "at will employment". If I don't like the color of that flannel shirt you're wearing on any given day, down the road you go!:eek: That is, of course, unless you're a union man.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thats how I got paid for this mornings job.

btw, auger worked good at 19' 6" feet in the well, to bad wet gravel does'nt like to stick to it very good.

So I take it "that guy" got you some contracts. Very cool, Robby!!:D

waterinthefuel

Commander

I am not sure what costs you are talking about. A digital signature is free. PDF print drivers are available for free as shareware. The training is free. Ask anyone under 21 to train you.:D At home, I use a cheap HP print/scan /copier I paid $75 for at Wal-Mart. On the road, I use a "wan" scanner I bought on line for $79.

Digital signatures are not legal signatures. That is what is keeping the fax machine around; there is no universally accepted signature than a fax. If you fax me a document and I sign it and fax it back, it is a legally binding document. Right now, you cannot do that legally with a computer or any other device.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Digital signatures are not legal signatures. That is what is keeping the fax machine around; there is no universally accepted signature than a fax. If you fax me a document and I sign it and fax it back, it is a legally binding document. Right now, you cannot do that legally with a computer or any other device.

Look up digital signatures.
They are indeed legally binding and used in all sorts of venues.
There is a digital tracking and verification aspect to their use that requires purpose-built software and systems....at a cost.
Many providers out there, it's a fairly big business.

All of this can be done directly on-line/on screen... real time.

If you need more explanation than that, someone else will have to weigh in because that's the extent of my BOK on it. :)

mscher

Lieutenant

Music - This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply self-destructing. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalogue items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies."

I disagree with this completely.

There is TONS of music being created and distributed, today.

It's just not "innovative" because it's no longer our generation's music.

If "catalog sales" of older music is higher, it's because we are buying old 13 song music albums, whereas youth of today will download 1 song from i-tunes.

Record companies are losing controls of music distribution, which may be a good thing. Artists find audiences for their music through social media, etc.

Artist live tours, rake in hundreds of millions of dollars, even today.

We are just "fuddy duddies' when it come to the music of today. ;)

Music will not go away.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Look up digital signatures.
They are indeed legally binding and used in all sorts of venues.
There is a digital tracking and verification aspect to their use that requires purpose-built software and systems....at a cost.
Many providers out there, it's a fairly big business.

All of this can be done directly on-line/on screen... real time.

If you need more explanation than that, someone else will have to weigh in because that's the extent of my BOK on it. :)

Ok well let me slightly correct myself.....fax is the only legally binding way of getting a signature remotely that anyone actually owns.

Is that better?

halfmoa

Ensign

I would say currency is all but going to disappear too. I've been shocked at how many businsses refuse to take cash in the last few years.

Wait....... No. No, wait.... I..... I don't.... What? What???? Cash? They don't take cash? What? Are we talking weirdo at the street fair selling glass art or grocery store? Elaborate for me if you would. There's still a large, though shrinking, amount of businesses in my neck of the woods that look at a plastic card and laugh. Shrinking by the day though.

There are several places around here that give you a 3% discount when you pay cash....sorta the same idea really. Talk to a small business owner about the rates they're charged. When I go to a store and they ask, "Debit or credit?" I say, "Whatever is cheaper for the store," and 97% of the time I get eyes rolling. The other 3% I get the store owner who says, "Thanks, I appreciate that,"

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Ok well let me slightly correct myself.....fax is the only legally binding way of getting a signature remotely that anyone actually owns.

Is that better?

Not really. You still are not correct.
What I meant by "Look up digital signatures" was that you should....ummmm...look up "digital signatures'.
If you won't do that, look up the Federal E-SIGN Act of 2000.

I believe that the terms electronic signature and digital signature are equivalent, but could be wrong.

A thumbnail:

About E-Signatures (Electronic Signatures)

Thousands of leading corporations use electronic signatures to get contracts signed faster and close more business. While agreements have been “inked” electronically as far back as the dawn of the telegraph, the modern era was ushered in when Bill Clinton signed the Federal E-SIGN Act into law on October 1, 2000. The E-SIGN Act makes online electronic signatures in a commercial transaction equivalent to a written signature. EchoSign is fully compliant with the Federal E-SIGN Act, which is a safe harbor that “trumps” or “pre-empts” state law by design, and also pre-empts any state laws on electronic signatures that existed before or after the E-SIGN Act. All 50 states are required to comply with the Federal E-SIGN Act of 2000.

southkogs

Staff member

Job security has been replaced by "at will employment". If I don't like the color of that flannel shirt you're wearing on any given day, down the road you go!:eek:...
Having moved to a "right to work" state; I think it actually works a little better than many would think. Nissan and Ingram are pretty interesting studies 'round here.

There is TONS of music being created and distributed, today. It's just not "innovative" because it's no longer our generation's music ... Record companies are losing controls of music distribution, which may be a good thing. Artists find audiences for their music through social media, etc ... Music will not go away.
I mostly agree. Music won't go away. The business has flipped completely over (and the same is starting to happen to the movie industry). It's too easy to record and sell music from your own basement now, and the large companies aren't necessary any longer. The creativity of modern musicians is on the slide though. Too much of the music is covers of stuff done in the past. We're not getting any good new stuff ... and it ain't just 'cause we're old fuddies ;)

Wait....... No. No, wait.... I..... I don't.... What? What???? Cash? They don't take cash? What? Are we talking weirdo at the street fair selling glass art or grocery store? Elaborate for me if you would. There's still a large, though shrinking, amount of businesses in my neck of the woods that look at a plastic card and laugh. Shrinking by the day though.
I switched to mostly cash a few years ago and survive pretty well. I have not run into a situation where I can't use cash except at hotels and rental cars. You do get some funny looks on larger purchases though.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

This cash thing. I've never heard of anyone or any business refusing to take cash. At least not around here. Cash is still king! Now where did I bury those mason jars?????:confused:

emoney

Commander

More than likely the "business don't accept cash" thing is relating to those with the "No bills over $50.00 Accepted" signs that a lot of gas-n-go type stores have adopted for security reasons. Cash is still considered an absolute necessity and one of the first things on the list for the "bad day's a'coming" situations.

I'm shocked that they didn't put "Banks" on that list, meaning the physical locations. With the new technology that banks are using in their ATM's now, I honestly don't remember the last time I was physically inside my bank. I have my paycheck electronically deposited, any other monies that I deposit, checks or cash, is done so through the ATM, and I get my cash the same way (or I get "cash back" from a retailer). Banks are the driving force behind wanting people/customers to go "electronic" in their transactions because they can make even MORE money with less real estate costs, payroll, utilities, etc. etc. I'm convinced that while I may not live to see it (I'm 47) my kids will live in a world that there are no more "local bank branches". The ATM has replaced the "Phone Booth".

Speaking of Phone Booths, can anyone remember WHEN they took them all away? I know I can't. It's like they were on every corner and at every store/shopping center one day and the next...."pooof" they're gone?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

^^^^^^
Payphones started to disapear mid/late 90's when cell coverage became readly available (street corners)
I think you can still find them in areas with lots of congestion, airports, shopping centers, hotel/motel. But I bet you will not find very many on the corner anymore.

(I think there is a federal mandate (up here) to have X amount available in an area with X amount population)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How about a "church key"? Anybody remember what one of those was used for? When was the last time you used one?

waterinthefuel

Commander

Not really. You still are not correct.
What I meant by "Look up digital signatures" was that you should....ummmm...look up "digital signatures'.
If you won't do that, look up the Federal E-SIGN Act of 2000.

I believe that the terms electronic signature and digital signature are equivalent, but could be wrong.

A thumbnail:

About E-Signatures (Electronic Signatures)

Thousands of leading corporations use electronic signatures to get contracts signed faster and close more business. While agreements have been ?inked? electronically as far back as the dawn of the telegraph, the modern era was ushered in when Bill Clinton signed the Federal E-SIGN Act into law on October 1, 2000. The E-SIGN Act makes online electronic signatures in a commercial transaction equivalent to a written signature. EchoSign is fully compliant with the Federal E-SIGN Act, which is a safe harbor that ?trumps? or ?pre-empts? state law by design, and also pre-empts any state laws on electronic signatures that existed before or after the E-SIGN Act. All 50 states are required to comply with the Federal E-SIGN Act of 2000.

Dude, you're talking about like when you e-sign insurance documents from a business. That's one thing, and only large businesses have that. I've spoken to lawyers and they have told me the reason that fax machines are still around are because they are the only method of remote signature that is accepted in the legal profession. I'm not going to argue with them or you.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

How about a "church key"? Anybody remember what one of those was used for? When was the last time you used one?

Still got a few kicking around.
Some of the micro brewerys/ small brewerys bottles still need an opener.

(Bic lighter for us smokers though works good!!)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Still got a few kicking around.
Some of the micro brewerys/ small brewerys bottles still need an opener.

(Bic lighter for us smokers though works good!!)

I should've specified to open a can... way back when, the bottle opener was just "fluff" on the church key. They were made to open cans that didn't have "pop tops".

That reminds of an old song... that was "covered" by one of them young hippy types:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-zduI7zcE

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

boating on lake mead,nevada maybe too. hate to say it but its possible,maybe we will have only the river left to run on.