'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
More progress today. Started by grinding down all the nubs from my first attempt with the PB, not too bad, just used the DA and some 40 grit to set things right. Vacuumed the hull and gave it a good wiping with acetone. Sorry, no pics of that, as I assume most of you are well acquainted with grinding/sanding and don't want to be reminded of the experience. However, I do have a little trick to share. I was wearing mask and goggles, but since I wasn't grinding, I didn't put on the full Tyvek suit. So after, the arms were slightly itchy. When I was doing my initial grinding, I tried this and it works pretty well. Take a piece of masking tape, and stick it on where the itch is, and then pull it off. Simple, yet effective. The tape will stick to the fibers stuck in your pores, and pull them out when removed. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this, but there it is.

So, back to the boat, I set my stringer assembly in place and re-installed my guides and clamped the stringers to the guides. I was using some 1/4 inch square pegs for spacers.

My PB bag with the tip cut off.

Got the bow section done with the first batch. After it kicked, I removed the front guide

But then Murphy showed up....

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So the first batch of PB was perfect and things were going smoooooth. So I mixed up the second batch of PB and got the stern section all filled in and filleted, and I must say, it was looking good! Took off my mask and gloves and went to the house for a brief break while the PB kicked. Came back out about 45 minutes later and............the PB was still soft:eek::censored:!!!! I thought back through my mixing process, I poured the resin, added the chopped fibers, let them sit for a few min. Then I grabbed the drill with the mixer and started stirring the stuff, It is at this point that I add my MEKP, and then I add the cabosil. Well, I added the cabosil, but I forgot to add the MEKP!! :facepalm: :doh:

^^^Those are nice looking fillets aren't they? ^^^Let me just say at this point, digging out PB from under your stringers is not, I repeat, NOT a really good time. I felt kinda stupid, but what could I do, except dig it out and mix more.

I did however, manage to finish the bedding process, but due to the loss of time RE-doing, I didn't get to tabbing as I had intended.

She is ready for some tabbing, and then floor!!! Hope everyone has a :censored:Murphy free week!!!

zool

Captain
Looks great NM, youre doing her proud.....and don't worry, I think Murphy lives in my yard, and im gonna shoot him one day for all of us ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, something really should be done about that Murphy guy ... Did you reuse the pb or make a new batch ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm taking bets that He NEVER forgets to add MEKP again!!!! Any takers????:eek:

Something2do

Seaman
I forgot the catalyst on one of my big PB applications as well. Man, you won't do that again. I think it must be a right of passage to do a project like this. Just be glad it didn't cost you any glass. Great project with great pictures and detail. Your work is very impressive.

djm3801

Seaman
YOU MADE A MISTAKE? LOL... beyond perfect so far and kudos for sharing the error. Work top rate.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Forgot the MEKP.....been there, done that. :rolleyes::frusty: I'm thinking everyone does it once, but hopefully only once. :D

Great progress!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks great NM, youre doing her proud.....and don't worry, I think Murphy lives in my yard, and im gonna shoot him one day for all of us ;)

Shooting at Murphy? What do you think the odds are of a misfire?

Yeah, something really should be done about that Murphy guy ... Did you reuse the pb or make a new batch ?

I reused the PB. Lots harder to mix good with all the cabosil added though.

I'm taking bets that He NEVER forgets to add MEKP again!!!! Any takers????:eek:

Well Wood, If I do forget again, you will probably hear me yell all the way down in Oke land!:eek:

I forgot the catalyst on one of my big PB applications as well. Man, you won't do that again. I think it must be a right of passage to do a project like this. Just be glad it didn't cost you any glass. Great project with great pictures and detail. Your work is very impressive.

Thanks Something, I had that very same thought, at least I didn't waste any glass! That would have really sucked! Are there any other rites of passage with a boat rebuild? I'm in the "grind a hole in your hull" club, and now the "forgot the MEKP" club. Lets hope I don't become a member of the "forget your drain plug" club.:rolleyes:

YOU MADE A MISTAKE? LOL... beyond perfect so far and kudos for sharing the error. Work top rate.

Thanks djm, If that is the only mistake I make on this rebuild, then I will feel pretty good about things.

Forgot the MEKP.....been there, done that. :rolleyes::frusty: I'm thinking everyone does it once, but hopefully only once. :D

Great progress!

Thanks Mikeopsycho, I do think I will remember from now on!

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, Mr. Clampett...them was compliments...across the board!! You just do amazingly beautiful work. This thread will join the few that will be referenced for top-notch work for future iboat builders. I also like the fact that we all feel comfortable enough to admit our short-comings. It is very liberating to be able to laugh at ourselves, even put it out there for others to get a chuckle, but feel free from judgment, isn't it? Makes us forget our mess ups when others can relate. I never forgot to add MEKP, but I DID forget that I HAD added it once and added double dose. In this Florida heat, after about one song on the radio, my spoon got stuck in the yogurt cup I was using. Didn't take me long to realize I had already added it. Added that sample to the future hockey pucks of South Florida club! Keep on truckin', man. Your work continues to leave me in awe!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, Mr. Clampett...them was compliments...across the board!! You just do amazingly beautiful work. This thread will join the few that will be referenced for top-notch work for future iboat builders. I also like the fact that we all feel comfortable enough to admit our short-comings. It is very liberating to be able to laugh at ourselves, even put it out there for others to get a chuckle, but feel free from judgment, isn't it? Makes us forget our mess ups when others can relate. I never forgot to add MEKP, but I DID forget that I HAD added it once and added double dose. In this Florida heat, after about one song on the radio, my spoon got stuck in the yogurt cup I was using. Didn't take me long to realize I had already added it. Added that sample to the future hockey pucks of South Florida club! Keep on truckin', man. Your work continues to leave me in awe!

Ha! At least I could still use mine, of course, you could bring those hockey pucks up to Minnesota in Jan or Feb and get some use out of them...:rolleyes: I learned long ago that the only way to preserve your sanity is to learn to laugh at yourself.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey NM I've used so much tape on my arms I don't have much hair left on them - smooth as a baby's butt. Whenever I can I use the multi-purpose oscillating tool to fix nibs. It cuts and sands at the same time and doesn't throw much dust or clog up. Try it you might like it.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey NM I've used so much tape on my arms I don't have much hair left on them - smooth as a baby's butt. Whenever I can I use the multi-purpose oscillating tool to fix nibs. It cuts and sands at the same time and doesn't throw much dust or clog up. Try it you might like it.

I have often thought about getting one of those, just never have. I guess I have a "need" for it now!!;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Top notch work and a good save on the clamp failure... I personally would've used a more aggressive clamping method on a transom that large, but what you did worked for you and you got a good job out of it.

I thoroughly expect to see you just through a hogshead of real fire one day soon (compliment);)

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Top notch work and a good save on the clamp failure... I personally would've used a more aggressive clamping method on a transom that large, but what you did worked for you and you got a good job out of it.

I thoroughly expect to see you just through a hogshead of real fire one day soon (compliment);)

Thanks jig, the clamps gave just enough to give a nice squish all around. I have to confess, I'm not familiar with the expression, so I will take your word for it!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ahhh, The Beatles are slightly before my time, and were never my favorite band, but I get it now! I thought that maybe it was some southern ism that us northern folk hadn't heard of.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Made some progress again tonight. Got all the 1708 cut for tabbing the stringers as well as the CSM for covering the bottom side of the deck. The hull on my boat was not ever very thick, and after I got done grinding it down, it was reeeaaallllyyy thin, (in a several spots I actually got down to gel coat). I decided that I wanted to put at least two layers of 1708 over the hull, so I made the tabs for the stringers large enough to do it all at once. I'm thinking that should stiffen up the hull to a point where I don't feel like I might break it if I step too hard.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
That'll eat some resin!... but you can't gain thickness without throwing the material to it, and the 1708 is designed for rapid buildup.

Looks good.

Last edited: