80s Johnson 110hp does going into gear

Saabu

Cadet
if i recall from when i'd pulled the air intake off many years ago, the key choke closes the butterflies and shoots in more gas. i've seen the mechanism work its magic so am quite familiar with it.
my point is that he said he's having trouble starting his motor. IF he's lifting the fast idle lever AND priming/choking it, that COULD BE the problem.
My suggestion is to do ONE or the Other, not both. once its 'caught' then raise the idle lever to help it warm up faster.
the 1/3 gallon was an exaggeration.
Using that technique i just cold-started my 40 year old 140hp Johnson with very little drama and environmental damage.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But this gentleman has a motor with an electric primer valve !!!----It does not have choke flappers.------Need to review your starting technique !

MotorMan101

Seaman
I am now completely confused...I normally pull up the lever push key in and out three times then in and turn to start...once motor is running even I lower level and shift into gear ...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You raise the lever.-----Turn key to on.------Push key in and hold it in.---Turn to crank it over while key is pushed in.--------Pushing key in and out does nothing !

MotorMan101

Seaman
Oh 😱 that makes more sense...Also I found that one of the spark plug wires was broken on the side where it connects to the coil... I'm unsure how long that has been the case... You could have possibly happened when I was moving or putting on the hood but I kind of doubt it as I was very careful... More likely I think it might have been touching just enough to spark and then finally popped out when I took the plug out to check it...

Attachments

• IMG_20230706_194900354.jpg
    IMG_20230706_194900354.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1