Dirt_Farmer
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter- Joined
- May 2, 2011
- Messages
- 109
Howdy all, new poster but have been reading the restorations posts for the last few weeks. I've been trying to search for some answers, but am not finding what I'm looking for.
I just came into possession (free) of a 78 18' starcraft SS, OMC 120 I/O. Hull looks to be in good shape, with bad paint,and the interior is rotted away. I've read most of the opinions on the stringer drive so I wont get into that yet.
First question:
The resto's I've read seem that very few are happy with their paint, so I'm wondering about stripping and leaving the bottom naked and just use some auto paint for a stripe above the water and topside. The boat will only be freshwater only and at most left in the water a few days while camping. Anyone have opinions or suggestions for a naked boat?
Second question:
I have been thinking about rebuilding the deck with composite (house) decking material, its a little expensive, but I wouldn't have to coat or put any cover (vinyl/ carpet) on it. I would even gap it 1/8"-1/4" so the water would run right through. Is the wooden deck structural enough that this would be a problem? What I've found is 1" thick but that should only affect the consoles since everything else needs replaced. Any other opinions or problems this would cause?
I'm sure I'll have more questions if I tackle this restore, but this gives me a place to start my plans. Also a big Thank You for all the restorers that document their rebuilds and make this look so easy
Thanks again, Jeff
I just came into possession (free) of a 78 18' starcraft SS, OMC 120 I/O. Hull looks to be in good shape, with bad paint,and the interior is rotted away. I've read most of the opinions on the stringer drive so I wont get into that yet.
First question:
The resto's I've read seem that very few are happy with their paint, so I'm wondering about stripping and leaving the bottom naked and just use some auto paint for a stripe above the water and topside. The boat will only be freshwater only and at most left in the water a few days while camping. Anyone have opinions or suggestions for a naked boat?
Second question:
I have been thinking about rebuilding the deck with composite (house) decking material, its a little expensive, but I wouldn't have to coat or put any cover (vinyl/ carpet) on it. I would even gap it 1/8"-1/4" so the water would run right through. Is the wooden deck structural enough that this would be a problem? What I've found is 1" thick but that should only affect the consoles since everything else needs replaced. Any other opinions or problems this would cause?
I'm sure I'll have more questions if I tackle this restore, but this gives me a place to start my plans. Also a big Thank You for all the restorers that document their rebuilds and make this look so easy
Thanks again, Jeff