76 Starcraft SS 22ft

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Watermann
If you do have grease, can it be because I fill my bearing buddies before every trip? I ask because I do have a lot of grease on interior of my tires, but always believed it was because I am a over filling my bearing buddies and it is being pushed through while on the road. Or should I pull mine off again and redo the seals?

SHSU

If the seal is letting grease out then it needs replaced because it's letting water in. Yeah the way the seals get blown out is over filling it through the bearing buddy.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Got my second coat of primer on and first coat of gloss black enamel. Starting to look a lot better. Next up is getting the hardware back on get the bearings replaced and getting the boat back on the trailer.

Looking good!! Like that black look. Now just need some blingged out tires!!

If the seal is letting grease out then it needs replaced because it's letting water in. Yeah the way the seals get blown out is over filling it through the bearing buddy.

See that is why I love this forum,great advise and experience!!! Guess I will be looking to do a seal replacement...

SHSU

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
See that is why I love this forum,great advise and experience!!! Guess I will be looking to do a seal replacement...

SHSU

When I went to Oregon to get the V5 Islander I looked and there was one wheel with some grease on the inside so I pulled the wheel to see how bad it was before the 400 miles drive home. A roller bearing fell out of the cage and the back seal fell out of the hub. It was filled with contaminated grease and rust.

y4mDK9PHq3BKmwHTVXhCZ_87VHuwX1GLyRmMFA7dBNrPVX00e1TVkGfSanYAGuTPEHQah5CYhOXpG1Jj6rAMIWGhlYrAQfHDxNlTJs5OtEgxnlVNayB9_4DxOg8Bw3SMurxk72ouHtipIZGQgq5CbEOL7SCrGNjAuawSCsf3LClO2KzZIH_HoJmk98N0Z5U6f3I1on94yMtqkSU3x85eUnHTA

Mkline85

Seaman
Got the second coat of paint on today and made the new bunks. Just waiting on hardware should be here monday.

Attachments

• photo328016.jpg
    photo328016.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

SHSU

Do the bunks have carpet on them already or you just painting the wood?

SHSU

Mkline85

Seaman
Trailer is almost complete. Getting back to the boat. I've pulled all the old vinyl. There is glue residue left behind if I plan to cover it do I really need to get it all off?

SHSU

Trailer is almost complete. Getting back to the boat. I've pulled all the old vinyl. There is glue residue left behind if I plan to cover it do I really need to get it all off?

Some people get it all. I think it would depend on how hard it was to get off. If it was flacky I would, but if it is a bear to remove, I would just leave it.

SHSU

Mkline85

Seaman
Deck is fitted and sits well, almost time for epoxy. Ill probly get it from us composites. How much do you figure ill need. I don't want to over buy. Figure ill need it for the deck, transom,side panels, and console. I decided to go with coat it for the the seams. Little more cost effective then gluvit. Bonus note I had to order some aluminum at work from speedy metals and discovered I get a pretty hefty discount if I order through a business. That will ease the pocket book when I start beefing up the transom support for the bracket.

Attachments

• photo329285.jpg
    photo329285.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

SHSU

Deck is fitted and sits well, almost time for epoxy. Ill probly get it from us composites. How much do you figure ill need. I don't want to over buy. Figure ill need it for the deck, transom,side panels, and console. I decided to go with coat it for the the seams. Little more cost effective then gluvit. Bonus note I had to order some aluminum at work from speedy metals and discovered I get a pretty hefty discount if I order through a business. That will ease the pocket book when I start beefing up the transom support for the bracket.

Nice work, love the First Officer inspecting the work!!!!

I used a gallon to do my floors and transom. That is at least 3 coats for each. First coat soaks up the most so you will use a lot on that one.

SHSU

Mkline85

Seaman
Last post was back in April. I took the noat to the fabricator. He has had it since then. Had him weld a belly tank for me and the off shore bracket as well as a skin for the exposed transom. He shot me an offer to paint it as well. Here are some pics of his work. Should have it home soon.

Attachments

• photo335797.jpg
    photo335797.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • photo335798.jpg
    photo335798.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • photo335799.jpg
    photo335799.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 9

SHSU

Nice bracket. Noticed he welded and bolted the bracket, any particular reason?

Also, any thought to diamond plate or similar anti skid for the top of it? Guessing it will be slick if anyone steps on it.

SHSU

Mkline85

Seaman
I plan to put hydro turf on it for anti slip he welded it to keep the water out vs just bolt and 5200. I plan to back those bolts out and add another cross support on inside of transom.

Mkline85

Seaman
I'm epoxying the deck today as a wait for the go ahead to pick up the boat. Ive got the first coat on. Do I need to sand between coats.

HypnoCraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm epoxying the deck today as a wait for the go ahead to pick up the boat. Ive got the first coat on. Do I need to sand between coats.

Depends on the specific epoxy, but in general as long as its under 24hrs since the previous coat it should still have open polymer chains that will chemically bond to the surface of the last coat. If the previous coat is rock hard it never hurts to give it a sand. I usually try to put the next coat on when its either just starting to tack or just after its set.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thanks for the response. Its still tacky I will apply second coat in the am.

HypnoCraft is spot-on. Tacky is the perfect time!

No biggie if it does goes longer; you should to remove the amine blush, then sand (so sanding doesn't embed the contamination).

SHSU

Mkline85

What kind of epoxy you using? You going to add any glass?

SHSU

Mkline85

Seaman
I did not add any glass, 3 to 1 epoxy from us composites is what I used. With the heat we have it made the process faster for sure. Ive got 3 coats on the top side and 2 on the bottom side. I also just got some photos from the fabricator they are sand blasting and painting today.

Attachments

• photo336328.jpg
    photo336328.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336329.jpg
    photo336329.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 7
  • photo336330.jpg
    photo336330.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • photo336331.jpg
    photo336331.jpg