76 magnum trihull full project

CapPhil64

Seaman
I am copying the deck that i cut out of the boat. It was a rebuilt deck so i'm not positive how "factory" did it but I think it will work just fine.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
It was a rebuilt deck so i'm not positive how "factory" did it

That's one of the things I'd be concerned about with your transom too. The vast majority of boat transoms (especially outboard) are 1-1/2" thick, two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together. You stated your transom is 1" thick and two pieces of 1/2" plywood... not a good build nor anything I would want in my boat.

You may want to consider taking the time to look through several of the other tri-hull builds/restos on this forum before moving forward with your project so you can see just how they were put together at the factory and what you'll need for a safe and seaworthy build.

CapPhil64

Seaman
Thanks for all of the shared knowledge on this website! It has motivated me to do all I have done by myself. I have found it incredibly joyful to work on my own boat with my own two hands and accomplish so much.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
PM Sent!

Here's what the typical Tri-Hull deck/floor installation looks like. Deck extends from Port to Starboard and from the Transom all the way to the bow. Typically to within 1/2" of all sides. Fill the gap with PB then tab with resin and glass.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I have never done anything like this before and iboats forums is where i have done almost all of my research. I have found it very un-motivating to listen to how every one of you, except a select few who sound like they actually know what they are talking about, has an opinion about how something I'm doing is wrong. Like i have stated before I am not building a speed boat nor am i taking this vessel to sea. It will be used on a constant level lake. I don't care what you have to say about my transom anymore. If this boat held up with a smaller transom just fine before then why are you so worried about the quality of it for this go around??? AND this isnt your boat so don't tell me what you do or don't want on your boat. Give me factual statements i can use to justify changing something that has already been done.

Hey, I'm just trying to help. Like I said earlier, all my posts are just suggestions.

Since you haven't done anything like this before and you haven't studied how boats are built you don't really know if I'm giving you good advice or bad. If you want to ignore all advice given to you here and build your boat back the way it was built by someone that didn't know what they were doing go right ahead, it is your boat to do with as you please.

I'm sorry if my post offended you, and from now on I'll save my advice for someone else that appreciates it.

Last edited:

CapPhil64

Seaman
No Title

I hit it hard this weekend and got just about all of the big stuff done. Fiberglassed my deck in on all the sides/front/back with the 2 layers 24oz WR. Put .75 oz CSM across the top of the deck to seal it. Laid an exterior "mat" down with some 3M super 77. Stuck like a charm. I couldn't take pictures on my phone because I was covered in resin/silicone/oil in this long haul. I got the cap back on and secured. Have the motor hooked up and running like a champ as well.

Attachments

• photo215354.jpg
    photo215354.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

CapPhil64

Seaman
I'm going to attempt a lower unit oil change before I run this thing on the lake. I am gonna pick up a pump and oil this weekend. Any preferences on brands of either?