74 Starcraft Holiday resto

dozerII

Admiral
I have a variable speed polisher and use it on the slower speeds and found it worked way better than on high, less heat build up in the aluminum and the rouge doesn't seperate from its carrier as bad. It's a really big job no matter how you look at and with a bum shoulder even tougher.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay... so the weather here is extrodinary... perfect day to destoy whats left of my shoulder...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
This looks great in the last photo but there is a real problem... there is no way that I can seal this aluminum looking like this...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
As you can see here there is this white, I do not know what it is... after buffing, the aluminum is very smooth... I can not feel these blemishes, but there they are... I have sanded with 600 grit... I am looking for 1500 grit but have not found it for my 6 inch sticky air sander... I need help...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
as you can see here what I have done is a far cry better than when I began... maybe the 40 year old boat just hates to give up the ghost...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Truley I wish that somebody who has stripped to bare aluminum and sealed that way can tell me of their endevors... http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/FordPsyco/20150927_297_zpsuysbwaji.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
also I can tell you that it is not a good idea to remove anything from the boat hull with a wire wheel or brush due to the fact that it diggs deaper, much deaper into the aluminum than sand paper... I have no pictures but I removed the boat reg #s with a wire brush mounted on my drill and have found that it scarred the aluminum very deep compared to sand paper...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our Pope is leaving the states... Finaly a pope who takes his vow seriously...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The moon is humoungus and very brite... 7:36 EST... 8:11 is supposed to be an eclips that will last 1 hour and 11 minutes... Hope I last that long???

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am very happy that I tackled removing the boat from the trailor and flipping it over... didn't do my shoulder any favors but the buffing was much easier lower to the ground... I would guess between 330 and 350 lbs...

Decker83

Commander
I'm right there with you on the polishing.. I think the 600 grit leaves to many sanding swirls in the aluminum..
I'm using the airway wheels to do the heavy buffing and canton flannel for the high shine..
Do you have a rake to clean the wheel with.. If you don't keep the wheel clean, it will load up with burnt rouge and aluminum..
Polishing looks alot easier than it is to do.. I must have 60+ hours and still don't like how mine looks yet..
Keep at it..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You guys doing all that polishing sure make me glad I'm a paint kinda guy! :lol:

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Decker83... Yes I do have the rake.. I am running brown clay for the first two passes with a soft 8 inch 80 ply buffing wheel after I sanded with 600... after the second pass with the brown clay I can not see or feel and swirls or marks of any kind from sanding... but can see scars from the wire wheel where the numbers were and on the rear transom... I will hit those areas again with the 600...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
does anyone know where to get 1500 grit sand paper for the 6 inch sticky air sander... I will try automotive...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found some 8,10, and 1200 grit at a local auto paint shop... $1.25 per disc... Ouch... seems to be near the going price...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am siked now... I am going to wind the 600 to the boat and then wash, and then the 1000, and wash, and then the brown, and wash, then the white clay, and wash... wish me luck... can anyone suggest a clear coat for the compleation...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Decker83... can you show pics of the airway wheels and canton flannel... and explain them and any info on where to get them... I am a prime member of Amazon...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I am moving forward... here is the transom clad in 20 guage aluminum here is the transom