74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
It seems to me that the flotation cannot be adheard to the inside boat bottom due to the fact that the water(rain or what have you) needs to be able to freely travel from the sides and bow to the stern and bilge pumps... I am still removeing sand and crap from the channel braces(Ribs) that has released and moved to the center and now cloggs the drainage channels from bow to stern... if you know what I meen...??? seen here

64osby

Admiral
Most tinners here prefer to put sheet foam in. It allows any water to make is way to the bilge.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to put in an hour or so stripping tommorrow... I have recieved the brown and white clay, 2 lbs each... I also have 4 of the buffing wheels, a rake, and a side grinder... that should be a blast with one arm... the damn thing is killing me today... what a drag... well its ten oclock here... I have to rise at 4:30 am tommorrow.. so I will bid you all adou... thank you all very much for your support with this project... I am beginning to feel like a family member... You know... that one child that brings all the DRAMA to the party... all my best... BillyBoy...(55 years ago thats what all the girls called me) OHHH the memories...

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think Dozer did use some sort of spray in foam on 1 of his builds, don't recall which one though.

IIRC, it was priced similarly to pour in, and came as a complete setup (foam, gun, hose and etc). If he doesn't post a reply, PM him and ask about it if you're interested

dozerII

Admiral
I use a product called Tiger Foam. It was real expensive and would I use it again Nope. Sheet foam allows for drainage between the pieces, which is very hard to do with spray foam

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you BWR1953... tell me... is that sheet foam wrapped with something... Looks like a great Idea to me... I can make a package to fill one bay(start in the rear) the sheet on the bottom will be 4 inches short of center of the boat lengthwise for the water to travel... tape them together so they will stay in place and wrap them with something... when that package begins to not fit, redesign and continue on... I just realised how important this forum is to me... I have been getting worried that when it comes time to put this boat back together I will not remember what it is that I have to do... But now I realize that we have archived the whole job rite here... Huge help taking a load off my mind... all my best... Bill

BWR1953

Admiral
Thank you BWR1953... tell me... is that sheet foam wrapped with something... Looks like a great Idea to me... I can make a package to fill one bay(start in the rear) the sheet on the bottom will be 4 inches short of center of the boat lengthwise for the water to travel... tape them together so they will stay in place and wrap them with something... when that package begins to not fit, redesign and continue on... I just realised how important this forum is to me... I have been getting worried that when it comes time to put this boat back together I will not remember what it is that I have to do... But now I realize that we have archived the whole job rite here... Huge help taking a load off my mind... all my best... Bill
Yes, the blue colored foam is actually pink foam wrapped in High Density PolyEthelene trash bags. HDPE is gasoline proof. I glued all the wedges together and wrapped them with aluminum duct tape to act as a clamp while the glue set up. At that point they were all foam blocks. The blocks in the HDPE bags were wrapped with the duct tape on the outside as well in order to completely seal the bags. Gas proof and waterproof. I left a 4" gap on either side of the center stringer to allow water to flow freely.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Absolutely Stunning lines... I am in love all over again... remember the downed Oak... nearly ready for the fire pit...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The stripper worked Flawlessly... I am realy liking the "naked look"... Those of you who have gone with the bare aluminum please help me along... once I buff it out with the Brown and then white clay how do I finish??? Tell me Fella's... isn't she gorgeous... I am in love... all over again...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can not stop looking at her... here in Maine we have a very long tradition of Lobster fishing, the Old lobster boats have an incredible line and look about them... All the new boats, although they are not made of wood, still carry the tradition of the old lobster boat look and line... and are the most popular with the new lobster fisherman, many who are 5th and beyond generation lobster fisherman...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need the help of this forum to move forward with confadence... Please... tell me your thoughts, and experiences... all my best... Bill

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man I hate paint stripping, always seem to have 2 coats to chew through. She looks good naked, but I'm a paint guy so I can't say great. :lol:

So are both sides done and are you stripping the bottom too?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I watched a video of a guy polishing a big rig gas tank yesterday. If i were to do it, id watch a few videos on youtube, make sure i had all the right tools and stuff then go out with a few beers and give it a shot. Boat looks good!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
The stripper worked Flawlessly... I am realy liking the "naked look"... Those of you who have gone with the bare aluminum please help me along... once I buff it out with the Brown and then white clay how do I finish??? Tell me Fella's... isn't she gorgeous... I am in love... all over again...

She's a beauty there Bill!! The look of bare aluminum seems to be really catching on! ...and you get it....the lines on the old starcrafts are what its all about...and really turn heads when we get them all spiffed up! :thumb:

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
You guys are great... Many thanks to all of you... To Mr. Waterman... I really planned to paint her white... But seeing her naked has really turned me on... I will strip the bottom, but am not sure if i will leave it bare...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
To gone fishing... I have looked at some video's where they buff and polish boats and also truck fuel tanks and other parts like wheels and so on...... It is not so clear what is done to protect that naked look... It is apparent though that they just leave the truck stuff bare and do nothing to preserve the shine... But I recall reading a story of a 40 or more year old aluminum tug boat used in the ocean and all they did was wax it every year... I will continue to study this... When you purchase aluminum wheels like these on my truck, they have some sort of sealer or clear coat covering them...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
looking at this boat I feel that the red on the bottom is enhancing the naked look on the side panel... Does anyone concur...