66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

BD, thanks for the link. As it stands right now. The LL is running (and starting) like a top. We spent last weekend welding:eek:an additional bracket on the carb, installed the 25' choke cable and at the lake Monday we had no issues. Of course, I'm still only running 31 mph at 3900 rpms @ WOT so I still need to go down to possibly a 15 pitch prop to get to the recommended 44-4800 rpms and I'm still adjusting idle a little but I think we now have a sound running machine.

So this winter, I think all I need is a bigger fuel tank:D

Back to the Mariner for the next couple of weeks.

North Beach

Commander

THE SAGA CONTINUES.......​

Thought I'd throw in a small update on the Liquid Limo here.

I went to the lake after almost two months of inactivity to load her up and bring her home for winterizing. I knew there was a small oil leak of some sort on the recently installed motor so I threw a 5 quart jug of Mobile One in the truck and my daughter took the day off and off to the lake we go.

About 30 miles from the lake the sunshine converted to rain and things got interesting. We arrived to find a dead battery and the motor COMPLETELY empty of oil. So I hooked up the ole charge pack I keep in the boat and dumped in 5 qts of oil and finally got her running-all in the pouring rain!!!!

So I get the boat home and it looks as if the drain plug in the oil pan is leaking. I drained all the oil, switched the compresion gasket and started filling with oil and now it's draining out way faster than before??? Looks like I'm going to have the awesomely fun job of removing the danged oil pan while the motor is still in the boat. I'm not looking forward to that.

So move on to the draining the water and flushing with antifreeze. I chose to use the recommended method of unhooking the hoses and filling the block/exhaust manifold and outdrive with antifreeze and then draining it all out. I'm not comfortable with the pumping it in with the ears method. All this went off without a hitch.

Next comes draining and refilling the gear lube in the outdrive. When I checked the upper gearcase fluid I found milk! Not good! So I decided to yank the outdrive so we can tear it down and get it right. When I pulled the drive line out I also found a good amount of water and a broken gasket there but no long term damage so I'm figuring this was a recent occurance.

More to come!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh man, I knew EZ would be taking all that in, rats!

Wow NB what a drag buddy! Seems like you just cant get a fair shake on that power plant for the LL. Stinks man! At least you have plenty of time to get it all figured before spring partner.:)

Cheers!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

NB you won't be sorry on your method of winterizing the block I have been doing it that way for 8 years now and have not been surprised with issues in the spring from winterization the only time I was was when I tried sucking it up through the O/D PLUS THE a/f helps protect the internal cavities against corrosion. Good luck on removing that oil pan without removing the engine (not advisable).

North Beach

Commander

Yeah it's all learning experience for me.

And E. My buddy with the OB has had his share of OB only related problems this year also.

Like I said in an earlier post, you guys with the small appendages are far better suited for those OB's and all the miniature parts:p:p

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Wow NB!!! What a saga!!!!.....What a Boat!!!!!......Now, you need one more thing to make the LL complete.........How about a 1"/1-1/2" wide Black Boot Stripe between the Green(?) Bottom and White sides???? This with the new Black rub rail and Black side spear would REALLY make that paint job POP!!!!
One other comment...Noticed in a couple of places you mentioned a "10 person capacity" for your hull........Usually hull capacity is listed as number of pounds total( includes hull weight, motor, gear, persons, fuel, etc....) Or do you have a cap. plate that reads 10 persons @ 150# each for a total capacity of 1500#???(or similar?)
Would love to know the actual weight of your completed boat with all the resin, extra ply and new solid wood accesories???
Can't wait to see whats NEXT!!!!
Regards....Jim

North Beach

Commander

Here ya go Jim.

SunchiefTag3.jpg

I really don't think we've changed the overall weight much. My wood deminsions went back pretty much the same as what we removed. The only difference being the deletion of the vinyl covering everything. We did go back with a tad more resin in the deck so I'd say overall it's a wash. Heck, even the 110 HP and the 130 HP are the same block, so I'd say we're pretty close to the 1700 pounds listed in the brochure.

And sorry, but I'm not a big fan of stripes!

Guys I just gotta say that this boat is what, like 46 years old. We're gonna have some small problems along the way till we get it sorted out. Multiply that with the fact that I'm not all that mechanical and you pretty much get what you see here.

I have an 89 Alpha One in really great shape that came with the motor, but I'm not really all that interested in doing the swap. I think I'd rather tweek the Type 1 a and go with it.

And I guess that stupid drain plug problem coulda happened to anyone? I dont even use it, I have a syphon pump that I use to change the oil.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I agree 100% NB...

We ask a LOT of these old girls, it takes some coaxing...besides, if everything was perfect and we didnt have something to do on em...Lord knows what evil things our hands would find to occupy our time!

Hang in there buddy....I think you and I have had a rough go at it on our rigs...You are just BETTER at tackling the issues!

North Beach

Commander

Thanks Kev! You know, I was all ready to swap the outdrive for the Alpha 1 but for the life of me I can't come up with a good enough reason to trash this MC1. It just does a great job pushing the rig.

Just to update. Somewhat of a false alarm. Pulled the OD and took it apart over at the boat shop today. No water in the outdrive. It's good that I took it off since I found a broken gasket around the top of the upper gearcase where it slides into the bell housing assembly causing water to leak into the universal joint bellows. By spring that thing would have been all froze up like KellyC's probably.

So we took the outdrive apart, installed a new impellar since we had it broken down, put it back together, and filled it with new gear oil. Boat shop dude had all the outdrive gaskets in stock but not the oil pan gasket so we ordered that and on Thursday we're pulling the motor, swapping one of my spare oil pans in, and re-installing the outdrive.

Then the only thing left will be fogging the cylinders and she's ready for spring.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

NB, I'm on my fourth and final OB with mine. It was a goldie locks story for sure. It took four to get the one on it that I wanted and way too many $$$. But, it kept me busy and happy which is what this is really all about isn't it;). I only used the boat about 10 times this year and only three of those outings were fishing. All the rest were break/break in runs. I called it good about two months ago and put the boat up for sale. I think I finally reached that balance point between too much, not enough and I'm tired of looking at it.:eek:

Next up, is the Canyon Cruiser. It's already seeing setbacks and I haven't laid the keel yet. I think that's what sets us apart from the norm. We have the drive and determination to push through the setbacks and get the job done.

North Beach

Commander

SS, I guess you're right. I'm also about to switch to the 15 pitch prop to see if that finally ends my not being able to reach the recommended rpms on this rig. I'm starting to see the end of sorting out this boat and the Center Console conversion is beckoning:D

I'll spend the next two months hunting hard and January will be the time to focus on the paint, metal fab, and motor rebuild on that one.

Until then, I'll just keep watching that LL video over and over.

VooDuuChild

Recruit

New here, and so far, I've read this entire thread, and another rebuild (54 pager) all on dial-up.

Anyhow, well done, I hope the 3.0 holds up and the prop/rpm issues get figured. Beautiful machine......I can't wait to get a new to me tinny to play with.

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is an unreal restore. Well done north beach you should be very proud of it

North Beach

Commander

Thanks 57! With all I had going on last year the LL never made it to the lake, This year things will be a little different.....

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great to hear NB. This boat restoration is an inspiration to us all and I love that color you've got on it. Be sure to post lots of pics and possibly even vids of you splashing it.

North Beach

Commander

You do realize there's a video in my signature?

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep I've watched it a few times and a couple of the other ones that are on the youtube page of your boat. I love your boat it looks incredible.

North Beach

Commander

Thanks bud! We're extremely happy with the final product.

North Beach

Commander

Well we finally got her out of storage and are ready to prepare her for some lake time. Not getting this boat wet an entire season has just about driven me crazy but personal crap just got in the way last year.

So now I've filled the tank, added some lead, changed the oil, scrubbed her down and with a small amount of tweeking we should be ready to fire her up this weekend. I have the 15 pitch prop installed and we're trying to hit the lake the week of 8/12 thru 8/18.

I seriously need to move closer to a large body of water......

SMLDOCK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.