66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

E, it?s not Murphy, it?s stupidity!!

Clark, I still have the whole boat. My old tub doesn?t have the plug and play harness like the newer stuff has, so I have to direct wire everything.

Kev, we are really going to go with the GM injected 4 banger this winter. I?m not crazy comfortable with this power package either. Something about pushed out freeze plugs make me question how well a motor has been cared for.

J, you?ll get all the help you need from these folks. And if you?re new here, I?d just like to say we all really like kev. We just figure since he?s in bikini weather about 10 months a year, he should catch a bunch of grief from his friends as often as possible!

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

WOW...that is pretty much what I did - only not that major surgery - more like outpatient....

I got the major pieces and then headed off to Ed the boat guy who was GOLD! - He had all the stuff and I was his nurse as he operated....well you know what I mean.

Good luck!!!!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

NB..I just have to state for the record it is NEVER bikini weather for me personally...LOL

I'm a one piece swim suit kinda guy...:D

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Hey - Tell me if those cool old guages work with the new engine!

Mine wouldn't meld.

North Beach

Commander

So we did the shakeout run on Thursday. Everything went pretty good. We took another prop since I figured we may have prop issues since we went from the 110 HP to the 140 hp. My 21 prop would only get us to 4000 rpms and 31 mph and the 19 prop got us to 4000 rpms and 33 mph. I like the small increase in speed but we?re still not making the recommended 4400 to 4800 rpms needed with this motor so it looks like I?m gonna have to do a couple more prop fishing days to figure this out. I?m thinking maybe a 17????

All of my old school guages still work and the MC1 performed flawlessly. So the old wive's tale about the 3.0 not working with the old Type 1 a, b, c is just not true!!!!

Anyhow, the motor performed well. We burned pretty much a full 12 gal tank and the only problem we had was at mid point, she started sputtering like she was fuel starved at WOT. Drop her down to idle and fire into it and everything was ok for a little while and it would happen again. By the time we were finishing up, the problem was just about gone so we?re thinking maybe we got a little trash in the carb.

So this evening, my brother came over and we took the carb apart, cleaned everything up and put it back together. We did find a little junk in the in line screen at the carb inlet and some gunk in the fitting to the drain line back to the fuel pump but nothing major. I?m thinking maybe we were picking up a little water from condensation or from towing the boat home on Wed with the cover off in a monsoon. Or we just had a little trash in the carb. Either way, tomorrow morning we?re off to Smith Mountain Lake for two weeks and the boat was running fine on the muffs this evening.

Here's a vid of us firing her up for the first time since we did the swap. Man that motor sounds good!!!!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/HillbillyBowyer/Liquid%20Limo/?action=view&current=HPIM2264.mp4

And here's another in gear and running a little harder.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/HillbillyBowyer/Liquid%20Limo/?action=view&current=HPIM2266.mp4

ONE DAY TILL THE TWO WEEK LAKE VACATION............ :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NB..I just have to state for the record it is NEVER bikini weather for me personally...LOL

I'm a one piece swim suit kinda guy...:D

OMG that's a going to lead to NIGHTMARE's for the fellow Starcraft people :eek:

NB I had a 15 pitch on a 3 liter which ran fine for skiing and cruising....... I hate prop swapping.

North Beach

Commander

Yeah Bob, I'm just looking to get it within the recommended range and leave it there.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds just like my boat in the driveway - Good Luck with the VACA!

I'll try my gauges once more.

I have a 35-37 mph with a 15x19 prop at 3800-4000 revs...seven people, dog, lunch, full tank of gas. That wasn't WOT yet...

2 weeks....gonna be nice

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey North Beach! I thought you were MIA .... good to see you're still posting!

wow the vids are cool.....love the Betsy ross flag! the new engine looks like shes running strong! thats awsome!

I just realized how far forward the captains position is on the Liquid limo....way fwd..... It is like a train....lol....5 ft in frt...5000 ft of boat behind! :p

glad you're enjoying your summer!

ps did you ever get that little glaspar project g3 going? we sold ours....no time for that project:mad:

North Beach

Commander

Vegas, still got the G3 pocket rocket and once I finish the center console project, the plan is to restore it:)

Just back from two weeks at the lake folks and I'm lovin life!!!!!!

After talking to a couple of folks about the sputtering after the boat ran for a while I decided to swap out the coil. THAT FIXED IT! I guess when the coil warmed up it started failing.

I'm now having a little trouble getting the motor to fire up first thing each day and every once in a while (mostly at busy docks when everyone is oggling the restored boat). But after swapping the coil and some on the water carb adjustments, she ran like a top for two weeks. I beleive the starting problem is due to not having the electronic choke hooked up.

We tubed. We ski'd. We fished. and my wife and I spent many sunsets setting in the boat in the middle of the lake just soaking it up. We had a blast.

While fishing in my buddy's Grady White I came accross a guy in a 67 Jupiter missing the windshield and we spoke breifly about his restore. The boat looked pretty good.

And everywhere we went folks wanted to know all about the boat. It really was kinda weird having to stop and answer all the questions every time we stopped for gas or went to a dockside restaurant.

I have a really nice Liquid Limo video for you folks but I won't be able to post it until tomorrow.

Gotta go and put some more swimmer's ear drops in my ears:(

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like a fun vacation NB, glad you got the I/O squared away.

Fishing on your buddy's Grady White eh...what you didn't want to make a mess of the showroom Sunchief:D

Sounds like you can get back to work on the Mariner now:)

North Beach

Commander

OK here's some more video my daughter's boyfriend Chris shot on his iphone. The smile on my daughter's face pretty much makes all the effort worthwhile.

The Grady White belongs to our family friend who has been a huge help in both the restore and running chase boat on all the shakeout runs. Thanks a bunch Tarney!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOO34zeE_Vg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

North Beach! well you lived up to your name the last few weeks! lol

Yes she sure did smile alot! great tunes relaxing!

wow that Iphone video was surprisingly awsome!

looks like a trip to remember for a long while...glad you had a good time with your family !! :D

thanks for sharing....

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great video NB! Looks like you all had a good time and I know the little one will never forget getting to "drive" the boat. I still remember driving our old Dorsett when I was his age.

Darren

North Beach

Commander

Great video NB! Looks like you all had a good time and I know the little one will never forget getting to "drive" the boat. I still remember driving our old Dorsett when I was his age.

Darren

HaHA, that was just before we blew the hole in the block, so he thought he Broke It:D

North Beach

Commander

So we've figured out the whole not starting thing. I now have the choke put back together and I just received the new manual choke cable from some folks out in Kali. We'll be installing it this weekend and Monday is another test run.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I found a DIY fuel injection system. Cheap and tunable with a laptop.

Installation on a carb car;
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirt-carb-to-efi-part1-nova.htm

Megasquirt site;
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

The most I'll do to my boat is to put an electric choke carb on it. The old stuff is actually pretty reliable, including the points ignition. By stuff I mean points ignition and the carb. It does require more preventative maintenance though. Cool factor for fuel injection aside, I don't think it's more reliable.

I rebuilt my carb in under an hour, and it was pretty easy. It's only a 2 jet though. It runs like a champ too. Quadrajets are way more involved, I hate them. Holleys I love, easy to tune in. IMHO

My next classic truck I'll go with the MS fuel injection, my boat I'm going to leave stock.

Good luck NB.

Status
Not open for further replies.