66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Rest:D

Seriously, we're gonna rebuild the motor and outdrive that we're taking out of old blue for a sometime in the future swap into the LL. also I've got guages and the custom switch panel to swap out. and if we do swap the motor, I'm gonna re-do the transom just because we'd have 80%of it done when we swap out the motor.

And we still have the Pocket Rocket ro restore.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Rest:D

Seriously, we're gonna rebuild the motor and outdrive that we're taking out of old blue for a sometime in the future swap into the LL. also I've got guages and the custom switch panel to swap out. and if we do swap the motor, I'm gonna re-do the transom just because we'd have 80%of it done when we swap out the motor.

And we still have the Pocket Rocket ro restore.

Ah, I just said a prayer for you.. May the resto gods be with you..

Got heat in the Boat-tel yet?

North Beach

Commander

SS, first things first. My concrete guys are coming by tomorrow to start planning for the slab and ramp. then we'll start working on heat/ac.

I leave next friday for my Wyoming elk hunt so I'm pretty much focused on that right now.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NB she looks real good....I bet you feel much better now that she runs smooth.
Very nice job. Very classy.
Tom

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Kev, that was nice.. My boats theme song is George Strait's River of Love. I've gotta name my boat.

SCHRECK

Seaman

NB that is a great slideshow of the LL and Kev you did a nice job putting it together. You make me drool talking a bout elk hunting, havent done that since i moveed to ontario from Saskatchewan. well great job and good luck. You should be there for the calling season. Peter

North Beach

Commander

WOW Kev!! I don't know what to say. That is an awesome slide show ya done up there.

Thank You.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

WOW Kev!! I don't know what to say. That is an awesome slide show ya done up there.

Thank You.

My pleasure NB buddy..
I think you can copy it to your pic site as well...

The music was fairly limited...tried to put something in there I thought you'd enjoy..

I didnt think techno-pop rave was fitting..lol;)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Nice slideshow Kev!

Wow that alum hull looks like it cuts the water fin in the videos North Beach...thanks for posing the video
should be a long lasting addition to your family fun! Congrats
Good luck Elk hunting........may the Elk walk into your bullets!

Vegas

Okiebo

Seaman

Nice job NB! I was wandering what kind of settings you haf om your compressor when you walnut blasted your rivets? What grit did you use? I have a 2 stage 5 hp set at 100psi it will flow at 18.8cfm. My shells are 20/40 medium basically, and I am not evenn budging th35 year old paint. I might need a smaller nozzle to keep pressure high? I have also tried 2 differant chemical strippers and the old paint is slow with that as well! Thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice job NB! I was wandering what kind of settings you haf om your compressor when you walnut blasted your rivets? What grit did you use? I have a 2 stage 5 hp set at 100psi it will flow at 18.8cfm. My shells are 20/40 medium basically, and I am not evenn budging th35 year old paint. I might need a smaller nozzle to keep pressure high? I have also tried 2 differant chemical strippers and the old paint is slow with that as well! Thanks

Hey Okiebo...if the paint is adhering that well you may want to just leave it...scuff with a wire brush...prime...paint and you're good:D (roll and tip)

Don't work too hard now;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Okie I agree with HA although I would use a random orbit Sander to scuff with before painting :D. I say if the paints in decent shape on the boat now dont kill yourself trying to remove it . The only reason I killed myself getting it off my boat was it had been repainted and the repaint was peeling and flaking bad if it had been good I would have scuffed and Rolled like CheapboatKev. Do you have a pressure pot for blasting with that will help also running a higher [pressure will help that 2 stage should run 150-175PSI easy my single stage will run at 135PSI all day long.

Rick

Okiebo

Seaman

I have already removed one layer of paint that was easy coming off, not the original paint. The original has shrunk and cracked in a lot of spots. The bottom has also all came off and barely any coating to protect the aluminum. I figured I would go with the orbital sander next, scuff it up and remove all other loose paint then prime, filler then topcoat. Do you all recomend a filler/ undercoat? I want a smooth finish, not a look he painted over cracked paint look. I have a gallon of pettit Zspar semigloss I was going to roll on for topcoat.

Oh and my pot is not pressurized just gravity fed.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Okie a gravity fed pot will drive you bonkers trying to blast with it if you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can pick up a pressure pot for under $100.00 from them usually . To give you an idea of prep and paint I flipped my Jupiter and spent 2 4 hour sessions sanding the bottom removing the peeling flaking layer of paint along with quite a bit of the original . I sandblasted al the bottom rivets with plain old Kiddie Sand from home Depot around $3.00 for a 50 pound bag used 2 bags . I have one coat of ZC on the bottom and 3 coats of Rustoleum aluminum primer aaaaaaaand at least 3 coats of White paint on top of that. I may have doubled the weight of the boat just with paint LOL. I do know North Beach has commented that he didnt go nuts on the very bottom of his boat as it was to hard to get to. I had myself and 3 other people when I flipped mine and it was empty no deck or anything else in her when flipped and it wasnt to bad to flip but mine is only 16' .

Rick

Okiebo

Seaman

Okie a gravity fed pot will drive you bonkers trying to blast with it if you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can pick up a pressure pot for under $100.00 from them usually . To give you an idea of prep and paint I flipped my Jupiter and spent 2 4 hour sessions sanding the bottom removing the peeling flaking layer of paint along with quite a bit of the original . I sandblasted al the bottom rivets with plain old Kiddie Sand from home Depot around $3.00 for a 50 pound bag used 2 bags . I have one coat of ZC on the bottom and 3 coats of Rustoleum aluminum primer aaaaaaaand at least 3 coats of White paint on top of that. I may have doubled the weight of the boat just with paint LOL. I do know North Beach has commented that he didnt go nuts on the very bottom of his boat as it was to hard to get to. I had myself and 3 other people when I flipped mine and it was empty no deck or anything else in her when flipped and it wasnt to bad to flip but mine is only 16' .

Rick
My wife helped me flip it on its top but I flipped it back over by myself the other day. The pot is a snapon brand but I do see what you mean about the flow interuption on the gravity style.

North Beach

Commander

Guys, I've been so busy the last few days, I didn't know someone had resurrected this thread again.

I just used a cheapo gravity feed pot and medium walnut shells with the pressure cranked all the way up. The compressor is a tad on the larger size so that may be your problem. I can say that the paint comes off pretty slow. If you really want to zip it off, the orbital sander does the job.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I used Kiddie sand as I said earlier at 135PSI on the rivets on the bottom of my hull and even as rough as the kiddie sand was ( that stuff stings when it bounces back at ya :D ) it still wasnt istant off with the paint on the rivets . I would do the same if I did it again Walnut shells would be prefered if you are stripping the whole boat but if all your doing is the rivets use the kiddie sand as it is much more agressive . Make sure you wear a good mask so you dont get silicosis from the sand and I highly recomend long sleeves and pants ( fairly thick ) I even became a towel head while I was doing it with a T shirt over my head if I didnt mention it that sand bites when it comes back at ya :D.

Rick

Okiebo

Seaman

Guys, I've been so busy the last few days, I didn't know someone had resurrected this thread again.

I just used a cheapo gravity feed pot and medium walnut shells with the pressure cranked all the way up. The compressor is a tad on the larger size so that may be your problem. I can say that the paint comes off pretty slow. If you really want to zip it off, the orbital sander does the job.

I was going to get to the orbital sanding next week. I am busy all this week and a bass tourny all weekend. I am gonna have to get a a game plan for all my work on it layed out. Deer season is weeks away and I tend to disappear for long amounts of time!

North Beach

Commander

OK folks! Summer's just about to an end here so it's time to pick up where we left off a couple months ago

Let's see. What do we have left.
New guages
Bigger fuel tank (I think we're gonna go bow mount)
Swim steps on the top of the transom
CD Player
The custom switch panel
Switchpanel.jpg

And tuesday we begin converting to electronic ignition.....

I also have some parts that were added at the last minute in an effort to get in the water that will be removed and off to the chromer.

Last but not least-It's trailer time!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.