64 Edinboro custom learn somthing new every day

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 64 Edinboro custom learn somthing new every day

wow...what a beautiful boat. sp-I have a couple questions about your paint job/gel coat. you gave me some good feedback on my most recent thread/restore(14' Larivee). I hope to update that thread's progress in next day or two, but after looking at your thread here, found similarities in hull design. The lapstrake look, although fiberglass, is almost identical to my Larivee. I'm a while off on outer hull, but am I to understand you painted it, not gelcoat? And if so, how did you prep? Hard to sand the lapstrake look. I am pretty solid when it comes to demo, glassing, transoms, stringers, etc but not real confident on gelcoating(spraying or otherwise. I know I can do it, though with guidance. What are my options when I get to outer hull? Yours looks awesomely shiny & new. Not sure if spraying gelcoat is way to go, because sanding back out to high gloss could be difficult because of lapstrake design. Do I have a choice with paints? Sorry to sound dumb. We can move this discussion to my thread if you see fit. Again, jealous of your work.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for dropping in friderday ! I went the inexpensive route with my paint I used valspar Tractor Implement oil based enamel with the enamel hardener additive mixed in from the Tractor Supply Store . If you plan on keeping the boat trailered It works fine it,s just not made to sit in the water for weeks at a time . As long as the gell coat is not cracked badly you should be able to just sand it with some 100 grit to prep the old gell . For touching up small holes and dings 3m premium marine filler is good stuff . I used bondo resin jelly for faring some larger area's . The best thing to use is micro balloons mixed with resin and my next project that's what I plan on using . Stay away from any filler the contains talc . Especially below the water line ..
Woodonglass is the man to turn to for all your painting info . He has helped me with many problems paint/glass related . I know for a fact that my boat would have never turned out so well without his help and guidance .
This is my thread in the MFG forum if you go to the other one that is linked to the restoration forum it has info documented in more and better detail .. :)
Let us know how we can help !
Later SP,,

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Got the emblems from Mark42 all painted up and installed .

I think they turned out pretty good .. :) I'm getting close to ready to order some smart tabs . And maybe one day I will deal with my rubrail inserts . :facepalm:
Hope everyone is getting good use out of your boats this Fall ! :fish2:

Last edited:

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice

sphelps, I haven't checked in on this thread in a couple of months, but I wanted to say that you are doing a fantastic job on your boat! It looks gorgeous and seeing your ladder/swim platform made me realize that is something that I'd like to add to my Westfield. Do you have any suggestions in terms of a brand or model? Thanks!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for dropping in Igt ! I highly recommend installing a swim ladder of some sort . It makes a world of difference getting in the boat . My wife said it was the best thing we added to the boat .. The one I have I had to cut to fit from a full transom type that was given to me by a fellow iboater GT ! It turned out nice I think ..There are many types out there that would work . I would recommend one with multiple steps that extends down past the bottom some . Just makes it easier to climb and I think the dogs could probably get the hang of using it also .. Here are some that iboats carry ..swim ladder - iboats

kfa4303

Banned

schweeeet :) How's the Etec treating you?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

No complaints ! Ya don't touch the warm up lever . Bump the key and go !

kfa4303

Banned

All I want for christmas is my two front teeth........and an etec :) The boat looks amazing. The weather has been so nice around here lately, I'm going to try to hit the water again soon.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

It did come out great! thanks for sharing. Brings back many happy memories of time spent with my family on our old Edinboro.:)

MFG.jpg

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice

I highly recommend installing a swim ladder of some sort . It makes a world of difference getting in the boat . My wife said it was the best thing we added to the boat .. The one I have I had to cut to fit from a full transom type that was given to me by a fellow iboater GT ! It turned out nice I think ..There are many types out there that would work . I would recommend one with multiple steps that extends down past the bottom some . ]
Thanks for the info. I have been looking a bit online for a swim platform and I was wondering if one with more steps would be better. If I could teach my dog to use it too, then I'd really be set. :)

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info. I have been looking a bit online for a swim platform and I was wondering if one with more steps would be better. If I could teach my dog to use it too, then I'd really be set. :)

The more steps you have the easier it is to get in and out. I've also seen a ramp for pets were the end is submerged for them to get started on. It was something like this one but a bit cheaper.

Paws Aboard Dog Boat Ladder

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Finally installed the rubrail .. I used black rope instead of ordering the ridged vinyl inserts . At less than half the cost .. :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thought I would update . Built some wood accent features . Extra large clove box and bulkhead for radio .
Cup holders .
Wood seat back supports , refurbished paddles and rod holders , and rear speaker panels under the gunwhales .

kfa4303

Banned

Wowza Phelps! I looooove all the bright work. It really sets off the blue nicely. What kind of wood is it, oak?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

The seat brackets and cup holders are cypress . The rod holders are oak . The paddles ,well I don't know . I stole them out of my son in laws boat . ;)

Reelbigfish

Recruit
Hi all, my boss threw a 12 foot boat in this deal we had going. I used the boat one time out on a local lake to catch some nice 14' kokes , which he also got me addicted to catching. He ended up buying the little boat back because it was to much for me to repair. I wanted a boat even worse now. So on Cragslist Portland Oregon I found this MFG Edinboro Custom boat motor and trailer for 300.00 It`s going to need the transom fixed one of these days there is a little rot where a kicker mount was attached then removed. The guy invested a new starter and water pump in the 50 hp Merc, but the copper tube needed a thicker rubber boot to seal it so it would pump water to the block. So, a little tinkering I have the motor running great. The seats had been relocated but the mounts were corroded off so they needed to be re secured. I don`t know what year it is or anything about it really, just that it`s a cool boat and the deck seems rock solid. I would love to find the emblems that were once on it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hi Rbf ! Welcome aboard !
Nice MFG ! What year is she ? 65 maybe ?