44 mph 14 foot tin boat

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
dont know if ya have seen this. i wish it was mine...
dino

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 44 mph 14 foot tin boat

44 MPH with a 20 HP on a 14 FT tin boat....my arse. Would believe 44 KPH....

Happy Boating

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with Sea Rider, not a chance. You might mid to high 20's mph with that 20hp, but not even close to mid 40's.

Still a cool video none the less

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Did you note the picture of the motor? It surely is not a through hub exhaust. It has a high performance prop possibly even a surface drive.Note the growling at no wake speed,full rooster tail at wot.The lower end is surely modified and I don't think it is stock under the hood.
I believe the speed. What I find amazing is it is rock steady at speed.
Where is Chinewalker when we need him?

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Scoots pretty good but small boats on the water can be deceiving. Same as large boats look slower than they are.

kfa4303

Banned

I could believe 34 mph, but 44 mph seems a little fishy. There are guys down here in FL with $50k flats rigs with composite hulls that can't get those numbers. If he's really getting those speeds he needs to contact Etec ASAP so they can sponsor him. Although, you can hear it has certainly been modified with a new prop, jackplate etc...the stability is also quite impressive.

reelfishin

Captain

I'm inclined to believe that its a case of a 35hp intake and carb on a 20hp motor or a 20hp cover on a 30 or 35hp motor.
With a light driver and an empty aluminum boat, at 30 or 35hp at the prop 44mph sounds more attainable, although I'd have to see it on a GPS to be convinced that it's hitting a true 44 mph.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That guy surely confused MPH to KPH. Have a 420 rib with a 2 stroke 18 HP Tohatsu, total weigh (Rib/Engine/Driver) is 250 Kg, at wot is reaching 5800 from max stated 5800 wot rpm factory stated for that engine, max speed on a flat no wind rowing track is near 22 MPH. How can a heavier set up with a 20 HP achieve 44 MPH, nuts. Those speeds are achievable with 40/50 horses, not 20. A 20 is a 20.

Happy Boating

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. It definitely sounds like it's running like a little demon, but you can only mod a 20hp so much. If he really is getting these numbers, he needs to start a business and start making millions.

For the record 44 kph = 27.34 mph, which sounds a bit more likely. Still very impressive stability though. Wonder how it handles in the turns? I would think it would slip and/or blow out quickly.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

He says he is running a Ron Hill over the hub 18" cleaver prop and a 5" jack plate
From the look of the spray it must be surface piercing (surface drive)
This really allows the motor to rev yet still push.
If we calculate useing a 19" pitch(allowing for cup) 43 with a 19" pitch,2.15 ratio 10% slip= 5700 rpm
Sure sounds doable. 5700 isn't a stretch for a 91 20 hp with that type setup.
Keep in mind if he adds 2 people to the boat it probably would struggle mightily to get on plane. with that setup.
Also note the boat is stripped bare of gear and only a 3 gallon tank.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

I'm wondering if this is one filmed with a GoPro camcorder cause I think my boat goes faster than possible . I want one with time temp GPC coordinates and speed in both KPH and MPH on tool bar . We should invest in this Co. when IPO is done buy a bunch and rent out cause fast is disputable , unbelievable . Im putting 4 Loco event recorders and if I get spares Im going to have to borrow .

He says he is running a Ron Hill over the hub 18" cleaver prop and a 5" jack plate
From the look of the spray it must be surface piercing (surface drive)
This really allows the motor to rev yet still push.
If we calculate useing a 19" pitch(allowing for cup) 43 with a 19" pitch,2.15 ratio 10% slip= 5700 rpm
Sure sounds doable. 5700 isn't a stretch for a 91 20 hp with that type setup.
Keep in mind if he adds 2 people to the boat it probably would struggle mightily to get on plane. with that setup.
Also note the boat is stripped bare of gear and only a 3 gallon tank.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I for one believe it! Remember: It is only a 14 foot tin boat, probably only weighs 200 pounds or so. Look at the rooster tail. Look at how the boat is light on the water and dancing. Look at how fast the land in the background is passing. In the side shot look at how little of the hull is in the water--only about 1-1 1/2 feet. Also notice how he slows for relatively small wakes.

Having two small boats that go at least that fast, It certainly looks to me like the boat is moving along crisply.

dkonrai

i like the part where he is screaming by the camera. looks like a mini hydro racer. i have had quite a few tinny's and not one was close to that fast or stable. yes he slows for the smallest of waves but there is a definate cool factor there.
dino

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've run 18hp on a 12-foot tinny and was touching on 30mph, and that was with a 1952 Mercury KG7. I've run a 30hp Johnson in racing trim with a high performance prop on a racing utility hull and it only did 38mph. My Dad set a worlds record in 1966 in 36-class, running a 35hp West Bend on a 13-foot racing utility hull at 46mph with optimum set-up, prop, and MORE cubes than this guy with his 20. There is NO WAY he's running that fast in a 14-foot tinny with only a 20. Something's either fishy or he's mixing his measurements as noted above.

Even the GT Pro racing class, using similar 31.8 cube Johnrudes, on high performance tunnel hulls and they're only getting into the 45-50mph range.
https://social.apba-racing.com/discussion/164/sportman-class-gt-pro-from-region-8/p1

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Chinewalker knows his stuff. If he's anywhere close to that speed there is something nasty going on under the hood.

dkonrai

I've run 18hp on a 12-foot tinny and was touching on 30mph, and that was with a 1952 Mercury KG7. I've run a 30hp Johnson in racing trim with a high performance prop on a racing utility hull and it only did 38mph. My Dad set a worlds record in 1966 in 36-class, running a 35hp West Bend on a 13-foot racing utility hull at 46mph with optimum set-up, prop, and MORE cubes than this guy with his 20. There is NO WAY he's running that fast in a 14-foot tinny with only a 20. Something's either fishy or he's mixing his measurements as noted above.

Even the GT Pro racing class, using similar 31.8 cube Johnrudes, on high performance tunnel hulls and they're only getting into the 45-50mph range.
https://social.apba-racing.com/discussion/164/sportman-class-gt-pro-from-region-8/p1

so how fast do you think he is going? looks faster than 30 fer sure. as for the 20? yeah cant really tell, and the guy didnt comment on what is under the hood. could be a 35 power head on a old two piece lower? still pretty impressive to say the least. :)
dino

kfa4303

Banned

yeah, I think he might be kissing 30mph, which is still pretty awesome on an old tin hull. If he really is getting 44 mph, I don't see how he could be using a true 20hp motor. If it seems to good to be true it probably is :/

Willyclay

Captain

I'll defer to the experts but it sure looks like a thru-hub exhaust to my old geezer eyeballs.