Boat Shuts Off when shifted into reverse

vigil2448

Seaman Apprentice
Okay my boat in my sig. will shut off each time I shift into reverse. local boat mechanic told me it's the prob the shifter cable on the motor that's binding somewhere, said $300 bucks for parts and labor. well is it a big job if I do it myself, is it pretty technical??

glennwolf

Seaman
Re: Boat Shuts Off when shifted into reverse

Have you ever removed the drive yourself before? If you can do this then it is simple.

Bifflefan

Commander

That sounds like a possibility.
A sticking shift cable could cause the shift interrupt to engage when shifting to reverse.
As for a big job, it depends if it the upper or lower cable, upper is not to bad to swap, the lower will require the removal of the drive. and then you have to learn how to adjust it once the new one is installed.
For the lower the cost sounds reasonable if you have the money, then you have a warranty also. If you do it yourself,,,,, well the only warranty you have is you.

vigil2448

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I've lowered the lover portion of the drive unit. But the larger one I'm sure I can do it, but I might have him replace it so I have a warranty, plus he has 13 yrs of experience over me.