Cheap Fish finders

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was looking at some of the cheap fish finders.
Humingbirds and Eagles. For about 89-99 bucks.

I don't have a lot of gear, Nor do i really know how to look at a lake or river and get the fish.. Its more of, "that looks like a good spot"

So I thought a fish finder with depth could help me find some good spots. Plus without a trolling motor, I dont get to close to places I think fish would be.

Is it worth spending the 100 bucks on an entry level fish finder?
I dont want anything fancy. Just mainly depth and temp.

Another question How big of a beam should I go with?

patneblett

Recruit
Re: Cheap Fish finders

When I first started fishing from a boat, I also thought a depth finder was the first thing I needed. I bought one. It is not really much good if you can't control the boat. I recommend a trolling motor first, then depth finder if money is tight.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point.

Some here that have read my posts, I am on a "Boat Budget". Meaning my wife wont let me spend every dollar I have on my boat and fishing. So I have a budget I stick with.

I was thinking of a trolling motor.

I can buy those for about 100 bucks. But I would need another battery. I would hate to drain my main battery and not be able to start my motor.. But I could always take the battery out of my truck...

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All admirals please read this post. So u can learn about the guys stuff, and the hard choices we have to make :)

I like the idea of getting the trolling motor too, but u have to power it. And if u cant get into the areas where the fish are it does not make sense having an instrument to tell u there exact location.

if you take the battery out of your truck use, it as the starting battery only, as using the truck battery for the trolling motor would deep cycle it and reduce its life.

if either of your batteries could fit the truck or the boat, chose the better one and use it as the starting battery for the truck and the boat, when the other one fails, which it will if u use it a lot for the trolling motor, switch it into the truck and reach home with a dead battery. now expect the problem with not being able to start when you get home. This way when you buy the new battery for the "truck" u buy a good deep cycle battery for the boat and switch them out, this way u continue using that battery for the truck, and as the starting battery for the boat, and have a proper deep cycle for the trolling motor. Hopefully all the admirals stopped reading by now. I hope u followed the trick in this. The wife would complain less about buying a new battery for the truck, and if u use a deep cycle for a couple starts of the truck till u get the chance to swap them out it would be ok.
now u did not get this from me ;-)

Now be smart with it though, save a little out of some other pleasure to make it a smaller spend, so that you dont actually mess up another part of the family budget, for your enjoyment.

No Fuss :D