352 fords att coupedeville

93bronco

Ensign
yea my 1st car was a 70 nova ss 350 4sp 411-what a waste, next was a 69 roadrunner 383 4sp 411, killer car. got stolen and found it junk yard stripped the guy i got it from stole it back & sripped it. next was a 69 merc cyclone gt 351w 3sp 325. now that was my start into fords. cant tell you how many gtos i kicked with that car. iwas in good with a corvette specialty shop (70s) and back the we called them 3/4 race cams, the small block fords werent very popular then, but these chevy guys hooked this car up for me, heads , cam, intake, headers and clutch $300. try that today it aint happening. i was 18 and a manager at a car wash, that was alot of money. but to have a chevy shop do that was so cool. the car sounded awsome. but i learned fast and rebuilt a 71 351cj 4bolt main for the car that was even better. but my real car came in the 69 merc cyclone 428 cj big 2:32 1st gear toploader<had the smaller 2:78 also> with te staggered rear 3.50 traclock, 2 wks later got a 69 cyclone gt 390 4sp 3.25 open. body was kinda shot, so stripped it for the 428 car. i puuled the 428 and installed the 390 in its place so i could rebuild it. had it punched 30 over, 510/536 290/300 cam dynamics cam with 427 lowriser heads and dual 4bl, accell dual point, hooker headers, thrush mufflers, ram clutch. these kids these days think the vibration from the stereo is cool. we didnt need stereos when had the vibes from the motor and used that to keep it tuned. there is nothing like that feeling. i found the 406 6pk by accident in a 67 fairlane 390gt car. it had been transplanted at one time they didnt know when i bought it. the most overlooled car at that time was the 7liter galaxies <428> and then there was the 410. these were great motors and still are. dove was the only ones at that time who was maing alum. parts but hey you could go the the ford dealer and get what you wanted to. i sold my 69 390 gt cougar in 97. i miss the days of bench pressing a c6 by myself and putting in ,oh yes it can be done by one person. rebiulding engines in the kitchen even did one in a 2 story appt. took 4 of us to carry that thing down. having the wife man the hoist on xmas eve outside while its snowing. loved that woman best assistant wrench i ever had. give me a FE any day, i just need to beat you to the grocery store and im happy. my passion for fords is 0ver 25yrs now and wont drive anything else. did put a 460 in a 86 crownvic <old cop car> at 40 something got tired of the tickets. never got pulled over in that thing. now i drive a 93 eb full size bronco and a 87 ranger xcab. want a 78/79 bronco w bb but couldnt find the one i wanted, still looking. the last good motor i did was for my buddies 68 mustang 302. great motor, screamed. to many electronics these days it sux and the days of 35c amoco high test/ $75 780 holley carbs are gone but us old gear head rednecks will live on. atleast til the beer kills us.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 352 fords att coupedeville

2K BOAT, just to let you know that you are not the only ford nut around, I have one of the old 427 BB Fords still in a crate just waiting for the right car to come along to set it down in. :D

DB.Beachum

Seaman Apprentice

Both you guys need to go to the FE forum,www.feford.com I was wondering how you got an 427 valve to clear the 30 over 4.05 bore

NOSLEEP

Commander

2kboat<br />This is my 26 year with Ford (Dealer)<br />here in Canada. Had lots of them, most notably<br />my 68 mustang notchback. still love that car.

93bronco

Ensign

thats a 390, 428 is 4.13. early 63 427 lowriser heads had 2.02in/1.65ex, late 63-68 427 lr had 2.08in/1.65ex which is the same for a 428. all mr and hr had 2.18in/1.72ex and tunnel port 2.25in/1.72 ex. the early lr heads will also fit a 390 <2.02int/1.55ex> slight notch on exaust side of cylinder might be needed for the .10 difference.<br /> glad to see someone still has an FE waiting.<br /> i thought this is a everything but boats thread to bs while waiting for other questions to be answered. sorry if it affends you.

DB.Beachum

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't offend me,people don't bother me no more,No I miss understood what you were saying about the taking out the 428 to have rebuilt,and the heads were on that the 390 was a part time motor,the 427 are being produced again so they are not that hard to come by,www.genesis427.com<br />they have both aluminum and iron ,I 'm currently waiting on my aluminum block,I'm curently running a cobra Nov'68 block ,.060 over,decked .020 aluminum heads swirl polished stainless valves, stainless steel roller rockers,thickwall hardedenshafts,revised oil system,every quality fastner you can find,c7 rods that i did,blueprinted oil pump,nothing was over looked in this build,what is your e-mail address I would be glad to send some pics ,be careful though it will cause certain parts of a ford persons body to swell

93bronco

Ensign

i bought a 1989 mustang gt new special order when i was in gitmo, cuba, it was over 17k then. had a dealer installed b303 and 3.23 gears. they put a cobra emblem on it above the 5.0, i was like what ever. i put over 103k on that car and never had the clutch or brakes done. went trough some tires now driving back and forth from here to ft walton beach, fla. great car got clocked at 129mph on I-10, almost went to jail. but nothing beats the feel of a stump pulling FE.

93bronco

Ensign

i took a mellings high volume pump and put a high pressure 427 spring in it and at start up it was over 80psi, warm 50 to 60. i use only castrol 20w50. used to use penzol til after a 390 rebuild i developed a rear intake leak and was amazed how fast it gooped up <old quaker state>.<br />sounds outstanding. are you building a kit car, or boat motor. one of the kits has always been my dream <exwife took that away><br />the advances they have had in the past 10 yrs has been great but so are the prices.<br />had a chance back in 83 to see a tbolt with a 427 cammer. i about fell over when he fired that thing up. for yrs i tried to buy this 67 427 cougar here and he finally sold it for 4k but not to me. i would have paid more.

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, the ones that got away...<br />Way back when [74?] I was in high school, and a friend told me about this race car that somebody he knew had in his garage. Drove over, opened the door and damned if it wasn't a Funny Car! 69 or 70 Mustang, glass body, tube chassis and all. Drivetrain? Nothing less than a cammer and a top loader! Coulda bought the thing for $5000 . But hell, I was 17 and 5 grand might as well have been 5 million. But I got to sit in it, and let the old imagination fly! :D :D :D

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, 50 cent a gallon gas is gone, but so is working for 2 bucks an hour. Gas is really no more expensive than it was then. It's just a haze of nostalgia that makes you think differently. Age plays tricks with you.<br />So, You all know what FE stands for? That's how I seperate the real Ford fans. And if they do know, then I ask them about the MEL family - 383, 430, 462. :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Howdy Blue Oval Fans and fellow motor heads... I'm a Chevy guy but must confess to owning a few Fords (Trucks with 351-M's) in my past...<br /><br />FE = Ford-Edsel...<br /><br />MEL = Mercury-Edsel-Linclon... <br /><br /> P.S. Coupe. you forgot the MEL-410 or aka E-475... :p :D

93bronco

Ensign

sorry guys the FE only stands for ford engine. the other common mistake was ford engineering. MEL is rite. the 1st FE was a 332 in 1958.

DB.Beachum

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry but it stands for Ford Edsel,we had this discussion on the FE Forum and MR.E.Ford JR Cleared it up,it was named after his father,other sugguestions Ford Econoline, Ford Engine,I liked Fricken Expensive (to build)

D

DJ

OK, I'll play.<br /><br />What did the designation "FT" (Hint: 330-360-390 cid.) stand for?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I'm guessing FT=Ford Truck, since they were used in large trucks....

D

DJ

Here's some more trivia.<br /><br />What are the liter displacements of the following engine families?<br /><br />1. Intech (hint-V-8)<br /><br />2. Duratech (hint-V-6)<br /><br />3. Vulcan (hint-V-6)<br /><br />Bonus. What is the big difference between a Vulcan and a Duratech?

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FE was for Ford-Edsel, as the 332 & 352 were used in the smaller [cheaper] Ford based Edsel's, the Ranger and Pacer series. The bigger models, the Citation and Corsair's used the same engines as the Mercury's that they shared a platform with. <br /><br />Although there was a later 410 FE found in Mercury's in the mid 60's, for the engines that are referred to as E-410 or E-475 in the 50's, those are actually the torque ratings, not the displacements.<br /><br />As far as the FT's go, there are also permutations like the 391, 389, 361, and 359. Fords could be very confusing! :eek:

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ever seen a 430 in marine use? I had to track down a gasket set for a guy a couple of years back who had a pair in an old woody cruiser.<br /><br />And then there's 351's - 3 of them. :eek: <br /><br />Ford Fan test #2: What are the 335 and 385 engine series? :p <br /><br />And, for something completly different, how many guys, when you hear about some old boat with a Graymarine 327 in it think it's a Chev engine? Cuz it's not! :confused:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The Intech V8's are 4.6L, 5.0L, and 5.4L...<br />The Intech V6 is 4.0...<br /><br />The Duratech V6's are 2.5L, and 3.0L...<br /><br />The Vulcan is 3.0L<br /><br />Duratech is a dual overhead cam, Vulcan is a single cam pushrod OHV....<br /><br /> :cool: