3.0 MPI distributor? Specs needed

matt167

Captain
I need a distributor with locked timing to run fuel injection on an old 153 that I’m putting in my rat rod ( 1970 Mercruiser 2.5 )
First will the 3.0L MPI distributor fit? And second. What kind of trigger does it use? Hall effect or optical?… the reason is I may go down the turbocharging rabbit hole as a manifold is cheaper than a header flange to build headers, and way cheaper than a built set of headers

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I need a distributor with locked timing to run fuel injection on an old 153 that I’m putting in my rat rod ( 1970 Mercruiser 2.5 )
First will the 3.0L MPI distributor fit? And second. What kind of trigger does it use? Hall effect or optical?… the reason is I may go down the turbocharging rabbit hole as a manifold is cheaper than a header flange to build headers, and way cheaper than a built set of headers
Looks like the 3.0 mpi uses a delco est which cannot function without the module which will advance it… you could lock it in base mode my always supplying 12 v to i think the white wire with the timing shunt… then set your intial and only timing..

you could use any of the delco style kits out there and lock it in base mode to do what you want.

matt167

Captain
So they don’t use a mechanical advance? The chip does it all?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, the Delco EST is all electronic.

Give Tom at stovebolt a shout. He does HEI dizzys for the 2.5/3.0 and the 196/330/250/296 inliners.

tom@12bolt.com

You can also run an MSD 6014 and a trigger wheel

matt167

Captain
I emailed Tom to see what he can do…
Looks like the EST could work, but it would need to be run with an external module, removing the internal and 3D printing a grommet insert vs the original module. I’m not 100% sure if the Sniper can control a distributor directly

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I emailed Tom to see what he can do…
Looks like the EST could work, but it would need to be run with an external module, removing the internal and 3D printing a grommet insert vs the original module. I’m not 100% sure if the Sniper can control a distributor directly
You would not need to change anything on the EST to work. You just need to lock it in base mode. This is done to lock out the advance built into the module for setting initial timing with a timing light. If you leave it in base mode there will be no advance from the module, which is what I thought you wanted?

Or are u looking for the sniper to control it?

Yes the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) all advance is done in the module. This is essentially how the Merc thunderbolt works except the EST has the module inside the distributor. I think the advantage with the EST (there are some knock offs) is it is an OEM quality ignition and is very robust.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
however with a turbo, the advance curve will be wrong. not to mention light throttle cruising

@matt167 , will reach out to Jerry on stovebolt/inliners as he may have an early 153 dizzy. additionally, there are some alternatives to the MSD boxes.

matt167

Captain
Ideally I want the sniper to control the advance. The sniper can operate a magnetic pickup on its own I’m pretty sure
. think that is what they’re ready to run distributors do. Just pass the signal directly to the ECU but ones not available for the 153

If I leave the sniper out of the equation on the ignition side. Than I can use an MSD 6 BTM to pull timing under boost. It’s just not as accurate, and I’ll need a car type distributor for sure. But that will work

matt167

Captain
however with a turbo, the advance curve will be wrong. not to mention light throttle cruising

@matt167 , will reach out to Jerry on stovebolt/inliners as he may have an early 153 dizzy. additionally, there are some alternatives to the MSD boxes.
Thanks. It’s the only part that’s a real hiccup.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
lunch time parts cruising.

matt167

Captain
I saw that distributor. Sent him an offer he declined. There’s actually one listed on Car-part for $50 but no mention of condition

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I know a few salvage yards up in the land of beer and cheese that would have them. however they are pick-your-own and they do not have websites.

rebuild parts for the old dizzys can be had at NAPA. bushings used to be about $6 to rebuild a dizzy. now about $13

new advance pots can be had

Scott Danforth

Staff member
few more posts

Dizzy:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Found this site by spelunking a few dizzy conversion threads

maybe reach out to them if Tom doesnt come thru.

matt167

Captain
I remember hearing about Tom’s years ago. That may be the way to go if nothing pans out.. I do have the original points marine distributor to build a new one from. If that’s the way to go.

Edit. I meant to say Dave’s Small body HEI

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Wonder how hard it would be to add the vac advance to the marine dizzy?

matt167

Captain
Unfortunately the engines still stuck in the boat, which is wrapped for storage

Scott Danforth

Staff member