29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 29' Carter Safari

perfect tool for the job.....a back hoe is cats meow.

congrats on the good core samples. that is a major thing.......dont forget to fill the holes with 5200

oops!

Supreme Mariner

so.....directly across from qualicum? or farther north toward alberni?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

just before Qualicum, and about 12nm south of French Creek.

its just around the other side of Nanoose Bay, where Whiskey Gulf is(but NOT IN Nanoose Bay(common confusion)

im rewiring all the drive systems according to Seloc manual, i was planning to try to mickey mouse the 2 systems together(the old bus system and weird guage wiring, to the cannon plug merc) but im going to make it all 1 system, which will be better in the long run. and since the boat is light up like a christmas tree, its something i can do at night. ive already got all the guages disconnected and 10 wires going from each engine up to the bridge, so its just a game of connect the dots. :) conect up the other end of the cannon plug to the wires at the engine, and connect to the according spot up on the bridge.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....now i know where ya are.....i love the island....but the ferries and the constant chill off the ocean got to me.....i need heat....thats why i moved to kelowna.....

as far as your wiring goes....the seloc manual is ....ok,but...

if you have a question at all...dont be afaraid to nip over to the puter and ask here.......our guys on this site are really really good, the electronics forum and the i/o forums move very fast.......so you could get the answer in just a few minits....

we are all behind you guys rootin for ya......have atter and have fun !

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, we realized doing a full engine swap in one day was optimistic, so today we managed to get the old engines out, and we are probably going to spend a week or 2 getting the boat ready for the new engines. and service the leg housings as well.

we tried with our tractor, and this is as far as they got
n715147349_895067_2022.jpg

You dont see 4 small blocks lined up everyday
We borrowed our neighbours forklift, because the guy with the excavator wasnt availible, we will still use the excavator for the new ones to go in.
n715147349_895070_2935.jpg

Shortly after the engines came out, time for cleaning!
n715147349_895071_3245.jpg

tomorrow i plan to scrub down the hull and make it decent for working in, then i will remove the shrouds and go from there..

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Well, after alot of thinking, we have decided to take the long road and do everything right, going to pull the entire leg housing, and check all the bearings( i have a feeling afew are bad), replace all the gaskets and stuff, and have no question marks at the end.

Boats are never a fast thing to restore are they? LOL

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually, the bilge looked pretty clean for the age. you are correct, do it right the first time, rather than have to redo it. it also saves a lot of money, in the long run.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

not alot to update on this weekend, we have been working on the gimbal housing and trying to loosen it up, cleaned out the bilge, and the wiring on the boat is pretty much done. as soon as we get the gimbal housing cleaned up we will be ready to put the new engines in. Starting to look forward to the fun parts of fixing up and customizing the cabin, hopefully in another week or 2 we will have the engines in and the mechanical aspect out of the way. Once we do something worth pics i will get some more...

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

no, i havent givin up!

some more pics from today. did abit of cleaning
n715147349_961958_5400.jpg

n715147349_961959_5621.jpg

We also sent in the starter motors to get serviced, and the wiring is pretty much complete, the stove works and propane system has no leaks, and the steering is almost done

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

no, i havent givin up!
Knew you haven't given up :) A project of that size takes time, thanks for posting some new pics. BTW I seen the febreeze sitting on the table in an earlier pic, what was the smell like in that cabin :D

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

the cabin wasnt too bad, i was raiding the head with the febreeze:eek:

its better now, but could use some bleach. going to finish off the mechanical before i spent too much time doing cosmetic

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man my hats off to you. The biggest project I did was replacing the floor in my buddies 12 speed boat. I saved him a few bucks and I got to go for a few boat rides it was a win win. Keep up the awesome work. Gosh i'm 15 I better start looking into bigger boats LOL!

Dan

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Man my hats off to you. The biggest project I did was replacing the floor in my buddies 12 speed boat. I saved him a few bucks and I got to go for a few boat rides it was a win win. Keep up the awesome work. Gosh i'm 15 I better start looking into bigger boats LOL!

Dan
yeah, if youve got the property, tools, and a big pocket then go for it. my friend and i both worked full time for the summer, which gave us some funds to get started. you definatly learn alot doing this stuff...

list is getting smaller before its mechanically sound:

install engines
hook up plumbing(cooling)
replace the throttle and shift cables(funds pending)
replace fuel line
Rebuild the helm, new guages(funds pending)
Fix the hydraulic lines for the steering/ service the ram.
repaint the legs
install blowers
install legs

Once thats out of the way then the real fun can begin. got some big plans for the interior:D

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Well, turns out the steering helmets and yokes are far from usable shape, so out they came, after ALOT of hammering, torching, and wd40. Then we pulled one gimbal, the other we worked on for awhile, but the outer ring is like welded on with corrosion and 4 layers of paint. so we will have to work on it for awhile. just placed an order via ebay for a bunch of leg parts including the new helmets and yokes..

n715147349_968686_6690.jpg

n715147349_968687_7056.jpg

n715147349_968688_7417.jpg

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, our funds have run dry for the time being. not going to hold us back though. Still working on getting the second intermedia housing out, also we have decided we are going to run through hull exhaust. So the old yokes had to go. We have also moved the new engines inside for better protection from the elements.
n715147349_996773_9156.jpg

n715147349_996775_9862.jpg

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

starting working on the legs today, stuff we can do well we wait for funds

n715147349_1024464_9994.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yeah, that will occupy a little of your time. keep at it.

captmello

Captain

Wow, pretty cool boat!! When I was 16 I remember dad showing me how to replace the starter on my '76 Datsun 260Z. That was the only car I've ever had that I could change the starter from the topside.:)

You haven't mentioned to much about converting those old Merc into Volvos. Hows that working out? Make sure you don't throw anything away!!!!

Best of luck to you guys.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Code:
You haven't mentioned to much about converting those old Merc into Volvos

Not sure what you mean by this? We are replacing the old crusaiders with some mercruisers, the outdrives are volvo penta 280's, which we arent changing, just servicing..

Status
Not open for further replies.