25hp 3cylinder starting in reverse

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. Most of the time when I start it it's in reverse. If I shift it into forward then it will shift back into neutral np. Not a big deal I just want to make sure something isn't about to go on it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lower unit , gear repairs are very expensive.----Explain what model you have and if water pump work was done !

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I was looking at the shifter today too see If I could see anything loose under the hood . Everything looks good. But sometimes when shifting into reverse I would have to move the prop with my foot before it fully engaged. As soon as it started to turn it would shift all the way back. Does anyone know what this means?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple-----Propeller must be turning when trying to shift this and many other motors.-----Allows clutch dog and gears to engage.-----Look at some pictures of these parts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I learned back in 1968 that prop must be turned while shifting most motors.-----I think you still need to adjust the shift rod to correct the shift issue described in post #1 in my opinion.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Get the correct Service Manual for your Engine.

So when you shut the Engine off, is it in Neutral, Forward, then somehow it shifts, by itself into Reverse, before you restart it?

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes lots of times it is. The shifter looks like it's in neutral but it's not. Then put it in forward and it shifts into neutral np.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I could go out and look at a few and do some measuring.----Not going to do it as am comfortable in my chair.---Start by removing the black plastic screens.------State whether shift goes UP for forward or DOWN for forward.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could go out and look at a few and do some measuring.----Not going to do it as am comfortable in my chair.---Start by removing the black plastic screens.------State whether shift goes UP for forward or DOWN for forward.
Ok I will go do that right now

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do EXACTLY what I say.------Mark the lower shift rod and upper shift rod.----Disconnect shift rods making sure the 2 shift rods do not turn.--------Remove lower unit.-----Try to screw the lower shift rod into the lower unit.----If it turns , state how many turns it took to bottom it out.