21' Holiday Rebuild

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man it is really looking like a battleship!

Looking good!

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man it is really looking like a battleship!

Looking good!

SHSU
Thank you. The bolts at the top of the transom will be cut shorter because they will be exposed. The 1” holes for the SW drain tubes were not fun. Didn’t go too overboard with the 5200. Nice thin layer between original transom skin and new 1/4” plate. Ran out of acetone so didn’t get all the 5200 cleaned up

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone considered painting the foam to help against water intrusion. I make decoys that are painted foam. I could glue the pieces together to make a few large blocks then paint each block before installing. Would this be a total waste of time and money.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Has anyone considered painting the foam to help against water intrusion. I make decoys that are painted foam. I could glue the pieces together to make a few large blocks then paint each block before installing. Would this be a total waste of time and money.
The rigid foam board cells are closed and won't pass water to become soggy. Guys have weighted down chunks in a bucket of water to test this and they weighed the same after months submerged. I'd have to say it's a waste. Different reason you paint decoys, not sure many would come into a flock of pink or blue ducks. :unsure: 😃

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rigid foam board cells are closed and won't pass water to become soggy. Guys have weighted down chunks in a bucket of water to test this and they weighed the same after months submerged. I'd have to say it's a waste. Different reason you paint decoys, not sure many would come into a flock of pink or blue ducks. :unsure: 😃
Thanks. Yeah the decoys get a couple coats of glue and walnut shell also.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Make sure you get XPS and not EPS foam board.

SHSU

The heavier the foam the less buoyance it will provide. In this case, don't think there is enough difference in weight other then price.

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the SW all patched up and cleaned. Primed the under side with bare metal primer bc I couldn’t find a pint of self etching primer. I can’t spray paint in the warehouse so stuck with what I can roll on. I hope it works. I also got new transom tie down straps installed but didn’t get pictures. Found some 1/2” stainless U bolt transom eyes on Amazon that are really nice. Was worried bc they looked iffy online but turned out really nice. 2B9D009C-92CB-4B3E-8C6F-D35BEEA0FD69.jpegB0ED126C-2306-450E-BE35-8FB86782E349.jpeg

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the SW drain tubes installed and here are the new tie down hooks (with 1/4” backing plate bc I have to stick with the battleship theme) ABBC6021-EA1F-4B8A-AB7F-AE2EED56BEF8.jpegB42064B3-311E-4973-A36B-4640DC996DC0.jpeg6DFA4CFA-2A12-4EFF-8389-57E9205EEE65.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D5E2363-8AD4-46BE-9B6D-63FAD8A8545D.jpeg
    5D5E2363-8AD4-46BE-9B6D-63FAD8A8545D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a couple coats of paint on the under side of the SW. Looks like crap but it will do. It’s mostly hidden with rod holders, batteries, battery charger and gas tank anyway
6A515699-2429-4820-ADBF-CCC7D8DBE6A8.jpeg

SHSU

Yep, that bracing follows the battleship scene.

LOL

SHSU

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Cant wait!! Haha Wish I was at that point. Looking good! You just test fitting before sealing?

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cant wait!! Haha Wish I was at that point. Looking good! You just test fitting before sealing?
Yeah I have long way to go before install. Need to cut foam, epoxy the wood, and paint the inside of the hull walls.

Tossing around the idea of taking the floor panels to a body shop to have bed liner sprayed after I epoxy. Wasn’t sure if anyone has tried it. Trying to stay away from carpet or vinyl. I have also been thinking about doing gel coat and crushed walnut shells for a non skid but not sure what will work best.
Got the wood cut, just have a small triangle piece to finish up in the bow C5C1529B-B587-495C-92B2-6AAAC55E662B.jpeg

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Yea you are a few steps out haha. Im planning on a hydroturf floor, but my friends who build custom jet boats bed-lined their floors. I dont see why doing your floors like that wouldnt work and would help keep it very clean. I also like that once its on, it wont peel up ever like the other choices might, especially when done by a professional place.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea you are a few steps out haha. Im planning on a hydroturf floor, but my friends who build custom jet boats bed-lined their floors. I dont see why doing your floors like that wouldnt work and would help keep it very clean. I also like that once its on, it wont peel up ever like the other choices might, especially when done by a professional place.
I am just curious how it will stick to the epoxy

SHSU

Tossing around the idea of taking the floor panels to a body shop to have bed liner sprayed after I epoxy. Wasn’t sure if anyone has tried it. Trying to stay away from carpet or vinyl. I have also been thinking about doing gel coat and crushed walnut shells for a non skid but not sure what will work best.

There are a lot of options for non skid out there. Rustoleum and other companies sell additives you can add to most paints. Also, if you plan on adding the non skid material to the final coat of epoxy that might give you a long lasting non skid that can be repainted over time without worry of spots forming from the paint wearing off if the non slip was mixed in with it.

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There are a lot of options for non skid out there. Rustoleum and other companies sell additives you can add to most paints. Also, if you plan on adding the non skid material to the final coat of epoxy that might give you a long lasting non skid that can be repainted over time without worry of spots forming from the paint wearing off if the non slip was mixed in with it.

SHSU
Oh I never thought about adding it to the epoxy. That would be nice. I just really like the idea of being able to hose the boat after a day of hunting or fishing

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried searching but didn’t see anyone do it but has anyone tried making side panels out of aluminum and just paint to match. Thinking about picking up a 12gauge panel.