21' Holiday Rebuild

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope, as @Moserkr indicated just unnecessary coverage.

Proper prep and painting would help with protecting the aluminum. Self etching primer will be needed prior to applying any paint. You will be able to find many threads on Iboats where people have painted the hulls

Every restoration comes with some elbow grease. lol Why do you not like the hydro turf? I hadn't seen that before and looks interesting to use in that location. I will have to take a look for some minor improvements for our boat.

SHSU
The hydro turf was great and will be putting more back it but it sucks to remove. My dog and myself like to get in the boat through the SW when swimming and it made it completely non skid. It’s like the off brand of sea deck. Still pricey but very nice. I put it across the entire bow as well. I’ll get a picture next time I work on the boat

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Been looking at a bunch of stuff like the hydro turf. All off brand but never heard of that stuff. Trying to do my boat with the fake teak look including the floors, gunwales and bow. You can seriously climb in and stand on your splash well??? Thats impressive. Havent beefed mine up but id be scared to stand on it as it was installed previously lol. Looking forward to the progress! Learning lots as I go and finally learned to start book marking posts that i need to remember lol.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the SW beefed up and holes patched. I still have a couple more holes to patch. Not super thrilled about the rivets everywhere but I will probably recover with hydro turf after paint. F59B06EE-2A71-40EC-BFC6-7B7927F38004.jpeg2887ACB6-B6F4-4293-BC32-1B699A8E7279.jpeg

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's OK @benfish909 ...we know you're addicted to Rivets & 5200!
Yeah I have issues. Not really sure how many I have bone through but I would say about 500+ rivets. I had a large box in the garage but bought a bag of 100 from grainger so I didn’t have to cut down the length. The bag of 100 was gone in the blink of an eye and with my bad math I’m thinking upwards of 500 and counting

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
You can seriously climb in and stand on your splash well??? Thats impressive. Havent beefed mine up but id be scared to stand on it as it was installed previously lol.
That was the same concern I had with the original design as well. Hence the custom SW. Have no concern with the SW now.

@benfish909
Where did you source your hydro turf? Also, guessing with how hard it has been to remove no issues with fuel or oil eating away at it?

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That was the same concern I had with the original design as well. Hence the custom SW. Have no concern with the SW now.

@benfish909
Where did you source your hydro turf? Also, guessing with how hard it has been to remove no issues with fuel or oil eating away at it?

SHSU
Yeah I shouldn’t have any issues with the SW flexing anymore. We have a hook ladder that goes over the gunwale but never really liked it.

The hydro turf I got on amazon. I can’t remember the brand but went with the cheapest price per sq ft I could find. Sea deck is one of the most common brands but I got some off brand type stuff. It comes with 3m tape already on the underside. No issues with gas or anything damaging it except the dog trying to climb in the boat. I have heard it can get hard after several years in the sun but haven’t had any issues yet and part of the boat had some for about 3 years. We use the boat all year if Lake Erie doesn’t freeze or we can break ice at the ramp to get out. I really like having it on the bow and some side steps on the gunwale for getting in and out of the boat.

SHSU

Admiral and I have been really happy with the Nautolex, but I am always looking for the "Next" thing... Playing with putting it into the splashwell for when I move around back there for various reasons, but not sure how fish blood and such would fare. Thinking it may be a fish smelling magnet that wont go away when we are just using it for a fun lake day and no fishing.

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Admiral and I have been really happy with the Nautolex, but I am always looking for the "Next" thing... Playing with putting it into the splashwell for when I move around back there for various reasons, but not sure how fish blood and such would fare. Thinking it may be a fish smelling magnet that wont go away when we are just using it for a fun lake day and no fishing.

SHSU
The stuff I used didn’t really hold any smell and cleans up well. It’s like the stuff that goes on the floor area of a jet ski. I’m still not sold on it lasting forever but it’s super nice for deadening sound and vibration. Super slip resistant even when soaking wet. My admiral really likes it bc she won’t slip.
I think this is what I used 3F17E157-34C0-46C5-A13F-3C562EC65EE3.png

Moserkr

PO had the “hydroturf” in my boat prior to me tearing it out. Only removed it due to the color and now ive learned that certain colors fade - lime green is one of them. Super comfy to walk on barefoot, not slippery when wet, doesnt absorb water. As @benfish909 said its jetski material. Did not absorb fish smell either haha. Looks like we are getting the same type of stuff benfish but im getting mine in brown with black lines. Im convinced all of them are made in the same factory overseas whether seadek or hydroturf or jinganysy lol.

One issue with it though is gasoline. My old rusty tank leaked on it and it warped/bubbled up 6” instantly. Stapled it back down and it looked fine but did not have a good reaction to gas.

Attachments

• 5C2777FD-B741-4F9E-9C81-81C9FC0CCDEA.jpeg
    5C2777FD-B741-4F9E-9C81-81C9FC0CCDEA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got some paint on the transom akin and wood and the sides under the SW. should have prepped the entire SW but got impatient and wanted to see how the paint looked rolled. It’s not great but looks better in person than the pictures. I’m happy with it so I guess that’s what matters.
On a side note. Does anyone have any ideas for anchor storage. Thinking about trying to mount it somewhere to the side walls like in the picture below. (I know that the picture is a locker box but I hope you get the idea) 53DCD034-AC78-4FBA-AB93-C4C0986661D7.jpeg53DCD034-AC78-4FBA-AB93-C4C0986661D7.jpeg61907918-A4E3-4B96-B0B5-9AB02C559006.jpegB0734635-C704-4206-9A75-3D9B0B86E931.png

SHSU

Paint looks good. Hopefully over time the not priming with self etching doesn't cause an issue, but if it does you know how to replace it.

I tried to get showroom finish when I first started, but am happy I settled for the look you have. We have a lot of scratches I didn't account for and they "hide" better in a non gloss mirror finish.

As for the anchor locker, I didn't have room for one on my 16ft. That being said I use something like a double sized milk crate. Allows me to add and pull the anchor if I don't need it on the boat when we are out and playing on the lake. That being said, I would love to have the room for something like you posted. One day..... lol

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Paint looks good. Hopefully over time the not priming with self etching doesn't cause an issue, but if it does you know how to replace it.

I tried to get showroom finish when I first started, but am happy I settled for the look you have. We have a lot of scratches I didn't account for and they "hide" better in a non gloss mirror finish.

As for the anchor locker, I didn't have room for one on my 16ft. That being said I use something like a double sized milk crate. Allows me to add and pull the anchor if I don't need it on the boat when we are out and playing on the lake. That being said, I would love to have the room for something like you posted. One day..... lol

SHSU
The picture of the anchor was some boat for sale not mine. I am trying to think of some that would keep the anchor out of way. I keep it in one of those plastic beverage crates. The kind that the distributor uses for 24 packs. I did prime with self etching premier the other day but didn’t take any pictures.

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On days where you are just removing old glue and paint does it ever feel like you got nothing accomplished. Days like these feel like such a waste of time but I know they are required. Been cleaning up under the bow and it’s just cramped and miserable

Moserkr

I know how ya feel. And Im hoping the scratches from the nylox brush dont require me to smooth them out before i paint!! Otherwise its just more time wasted lol. Baby steps, will be worth it in the end!

SHSU

On days where you are just removing old glue and paint does it ever feel like you got nothing accomplished. Days like these feel like such a waste of time but I know they are required. Been cleaning up under the bow and it’s just cramped and miserable

Yep, been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt...

lol

When you are out on the water, you will enjoy the labor of your efforts. I had many times I thought about walking away from the project. Just didn't seem to be making progress for a long time. Things start to seem to move quickly once you start putting it back together.

SHSU

benfish909

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got to a good milestone. All of the gluvit and coat it is applied and cured. Stringers are installed. Transom is all drilled and ready to bolt together. Need to add cross braces to tie in the strings but want to get foam in first.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get the transom bolted up and get the SW ready to install. The 1/4” plate is ready but not in the picture. The knee brace also needs bolted but stuck it together for the picture
77F56824-2F94-4B3E-B16A-71DD000AC43D.jpeg303CF02C-C8C9-4CE9-BF95-8E5D4C4A15C0.jpeg1EC6ACD4-4B7E-4BEA-9E31-462C9A0C37E9.jpeg

SHSU

Very nice!

Putting things back in is a MAJOR milestone. Soon you will be flying with flooring and such.

SHSU