2006 Q7i Prop recommendations...and anything else that may help

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a 2006 Tahoe Q7i 5.0 mercruiser bravo 1...and am looking for a new prop. I'm not looking for someone to scientifically tell me which prop to get, if I was I'd post this in the prop section. I'm looking for Q7i owners...or Q6 owners...with Stainless steel props to throw out there recommendations. I have an aluminum 3 blade 19 pitch dinged up blade that came with the boat. I'm contemplating something like a highfive blade...or maybe a 4 blade. Looking for what others have done and their thoughts.

Also looking for any other upgrades that significantly help this boat perform. The Smart Tabs are already on my list of things to order. Anything else? Anything with the engine I can easily add to for performance?

Thanks for any and all help. This forum has already been a wealth of knowledge!!

Since these posts are no fun without pictures...here is a pic of my Q7i.

DSC_0736.jpg

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2006 Q7i Prop recommendations...and anything else that may help

I have a 3 blade michigan wheel apollo xhs that works well for me its a 17 pitch but my alpha one is a 1.47 ratio. It is vented and pulls watertoys very easily. The Smart tabs are a great addition get them on before you try to dial in your prop selection.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 3 blade Mercury Enertia 20p made of X7 alloy which is claimed 30% stronger than normal stainless props and so far it is an excellent prop...I had my Q7i up to an indicated 59 mph trimmed up. Here is the video on it: (videos are better than pics!)

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

I realized I was wrong on the stern drive...it's the Alpha 1 with a 1.47 ratio. Doing a bit of research it looks like I could have a 17p on this thing. I really need to find a place that will allow me to test a few props.

I installed my Smart Tabs, 60lbs, and man what a difference! Completely eliminated the wandering at slow speeds...which I still don't understand. Also the boat comes up on plane at a much lower speed. For 100 bucks and an hour of my time to install...it's well worth it. Now onto that prop!

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

Also...can anyone tell me how I can find out what RPM's i'm running at if the stock gauge isn't working? At WOT my rpm gauge said 3100 rpm's at about 56 mph. Should I just replace it? or is there another way?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just replace it...checkout greatlakesskipper for stock guage.

otherwise their are hourmeter/rpm tools that you can attach to a spark plug i believe.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with PrinceValium...Get the Merc Enertia. It has a longer hub and will enhance your ride with the trim tabs. You won't be disappointed.

Jez774

Cadet

I realized I was wrong on the stern drive...it's the Alpha 1 with a 1.47 ratio. Doing a bit of research it looks like I could have a 17p on this thing. I really need to find a place that will allow me to test a few props.

I installed my Smart Tabs, 60lbs, and man what a difference! Completely eliminated the wandering at slow speeds...which I still don't understand. Also the boat comes up on plane at a much lower speed. For 100 bucks and an hour of my time to install...it's well worth it. Now onto that prop!
Hey mate, got any photos of how your smart tabs are fitted?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hey mate, got any photos of how your smart tabs are fitted?
Saintv hasnt been here in nearly 6yrs, not like to get or answer your question, hence the 90day inactivity rule.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.