2004 Grand Cherokee stalling/shutting down

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hi all!! Had this since new 04 GC 4.0 6 cyl 4x4 ,has 130k miles.Started stalling or shutting off while driving at any speed.Always seems to restart right away until yesterday.It eventually restarted after 5-10 mins but kept shutting down.Anyone have similar?? I know there are many Jeepsters here.Read where a crankshaft position sensor could be culprit.. anyone have similar??Thanks Charlie

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My Cherokee with the 4.0 was doing almost the same thing. Codes pointed to the CPS and has been running like a champ ever since I replaced it. Are you getting a check light?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
GA , did you use Mopar part or aftermarket?? I prefer to pay some extra to buy a quality part but Mopar parts are waaaaay overpriced.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
try posting up at Jeep Forum but we had the stalling with out '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0. Tried cleaning all grounds, same thing with crank position sensor, tried a few more things and it turned out to be the engine PCM. Apparently the solder joints in them eventually break. So try everything else first then if nothing solves it replace the PCM...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
sounds good thanks!!
I go back and forth between the 2 older jeeps we have, the '98 which I bought originally for my wife, she didn't like it, so I drove it about 10 years, then got a hankerin' for a Hemi, bought the '07 Grand with 5.7 Hemi, that satisfied my urge for power, then passed the '98 to my son when he was 18, when he was in college needed something newer, so he got a new '17 Wrangler, so the old '98 became my second vehicle, after the '07. Love that Hemi though, plan on getting a newer one in the near future. Pulls the boat like the Super Chief.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Yep I have some Jeeps too. 4 Grand Cherokees to be exact.Never thought I would have 4 of any same thing in the driveway.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
07 Grand, '98 4.0, '07 5.7

Attachments

• Grabber AT 2 on Jeep WK.jpg
    Grabber AT 2 on Jeep WK.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1
  • WK cold air intake.jpg
    WK cold air intake.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 1

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Had the CPS (crank position sensor) changed out and problem solved.It is in a rediculous place and needs 2 persons to do it,It is accessed from the drivers side floor up by the heater vent.You can buy a CPS anywhere from $12 to a Mopar $140.For a simple install sensor I would buy a couple cheapies and try it.For this pita spend the money and only do it once.Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On the 4.0 six that is in a tough spot, right up on top of the bell housing. You're far better off with the Mopar sensor. On the older models like ours it can be reached with a combination of extensions and u joints. Glad that fixed it cheaper than the ECM which was about $600 if I recall.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
There is an easier access point to the side of the gas pedal from inside the vehicle.Saves a lot of time after removing some console and interior panels.CPS at auto parts store $20-$50 ,Mopar part $140.Got the mopar.No such things as a cheap repair anymore.I should have tried to do it myself

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Interesting I didn’t know that! Not sure if it’s the same on our older ‘98 but will have to remember that.

matt167

Captain
Most engines, the crank sensor can be dead and the engine still run because it can use the cam sensor as a reference, albiet limp mode.. But the Jeeps/ most early EFI mopar's will not fire ignition without a crank signal

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
On my 99 Grand Cherokee, I bought it for the same issue. 4.7 liter. Changed the crank sensor twice, the cam sensor once. Still would stall randomly. One day I was frustrated, I raised it up and followed the wires slowly along the harness for the crank sensor, think like pulling each wire with two fingers like a rubber band. Came to a spot that stretched, insulation was intact but pulled a tad harder and by golly the wire was broken inside the insulation. It would make contact randomly and work till it didn't want to anymore. Got a new plug and spliced it in with heat sharing butt connecters, running perfect for the last two years.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
All good since the CPS changeout.Back to running great.Now i have a P0135 code which looks to be an o2 sensor.Funny same thing happened last year same month and light went off by itself...until now.very strange

bigdee

Commander
A real PIA to change. Don't remove the paper sticker on the face of the sensor, it is a spacer to get proper clearance from flywheel.