2 quick questions about deck patch

Re: 2 quick questions about deck patch

Yea I used 1.5 oz csm on the underside. It's cured and dry. Tomorrow it goes it. It just seems like I used an obscene amount of resin for the piece and I had a little trouble getting all the air bubbles out, I have one small area about a 2 inch square that looks like it dried lighter, like maybe air is under there. I have no intentions of cutting it out since it's underneath and it will never get seen, just need to make sure it doesn't happen on the top side of the piece.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah air bubbles are an issue. They allow water to penetrate the resin and get to the wood and the resin will crack. You need to try and find a glass roller.

chriscraft254

Commander

Hey man, obviously there is a difference of opinion here on what your doing. But here is a few things to think about. The channel was made for the wiring and control cables. If this worked well it would be on most center consoles but it is not.

If you lay a glued up pvc pipe, like 6 inch or minamum 4 inch, You can plumb it in the channel you have now and bring the plumbing 90 degreed up under the console. If you do that you would leave atleast a 2 inch flange so water doesn't get into the pipe and then fiberglass around it to the deck so you get no water intrusion around it.

At the stern, same idea, plump it so it exits where you want the control cables to go. Then just make sure everything is sealed.

The access you have now, may seem like a great idea, but there is really no reason for access to those wires or cables when it is going to be a pita to keep it sealed properly to the deck. maintenance is all I am saying.

The pvc pipes would be easy to fish things through because it is round pipe and will naturally fish the lines through when properly installed. Its done this way on almost all center console boats.

The advantage of this is, you could then foam in the pipe or just glass it in so it doean't move, lay the decking piece in that you have already made and then glass it all in to the existing deck around that area. Then you have a smooth deck all the way across that requires little maintenance and no caulking.

If you ever have an issue with a wire or cable, you simply pull them out and re-fish them through the pipe.

To each there own, but I would want as smooth a deck as possible. Good luck with the rest of your project. Keep us posted with pics of your project, your going to have a nice boat there.

It's not deep enough for pvc, once the cover is made it will be maintenance free. The water will never leak into the hull it is sealed. I get what you are saying, but it would be a lot more work to glass that run in since it runs right down the side of the boat. Thanks for the input, but I think I am just gonna do it like it was meant to be done.

Patch is in, going to start painting on Thursday. What is the process for gel coat on old gel coat? A friend of my neighbor tried telling me yesterday that I had to sand down to bare glass everywhere before painting. I am telling you right now, that isn't happening, I don't have 6 months and $200 to spend on sand paper. I don't really think the guy has an idea what he's talking about. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Short nap...3/8" or smaller? Any ideas how to get a non skid finish on the deck? I read that rerolling the gel after it gets tacky works?

I plan on rolling on 2 coats on the sides and gunwales and 3 on the deck. After the first coat I should be able to see any imperfections I missed, if I am not adding wax until the final coat, would I able to fill or sand those before the final coat? There's not way to see every single little gouge, hole, etc, etc with bare fiberglass, resin, and/or filler.