2 quick questions about deck patch

Re: 2 quick questions about deck patch

Since I got all the materials figured out, let me ask you a question about preparing the old deck. I have already made the plywood patch, I then used it to trace the hole to cut in the deck and cut it. Should I sand or grind around the patch to get down to the old fiberglass, maybe like 6-8 inches all around the hole or will the resin adhere ok to the gelcoat. It has been sanded and wiped down with acetone.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics so we can see exactly what you're working with

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have cut a hole in the deck and am ready to put the patch in. I read all the info I needed, but can't seem to find that thread again. So I just have 2 quick questions maybe someone can just answer for me. First, one I have the patch plywood cut to fit, I thought I read somewhere to cover the whole piece and sides in epoxy or resin, without the catalyst. Is that true? Next, the patch is about 3 ft x 6 ft (I am also covering and sealing in the gas tank storage compartment in the floor), how many layers of glass should be used and should I use mat or cloth? Thanks!

Pics would really help out here .. Year/Make/Model ..

A 3'X6' hole in the deck is not a Patch..its basically replacing the whole sole of some boats..

Would you please tell us Exactly what your working with.

YD.

I posted these pics in a another thread a couple weeks ago to get ideas, so if you have seen them before that's why. Also the patch is closer to 2 ft x 6 ft, but not a rectangle, it is oddly shaped and I will post a pic the actual hole I have cut when I get home either tonight or tomorrow, but these pics should give you the general idea. I also have cut a new cover for what I call a "chaseway" not sure what the hell it is called on a boat, it is where the controls, wires, and steering run to the motor, etc. I have no idea what to do with this thing, wrap in in glass or if there is anyway to just coat it with something and then paint it, wrapping it seems insane. The boat is a 1976 20 Foot Aquasport CC.

DSC_0167-1.jpg

The patch is going to cover that compartment, about 6 inches to the right side of it forward of the chaseway, and almost to the bow step up. The cover for that hole is shot, I still have it for the template. The floor is solid except on the right side where the console was, about a 6 inch by 2 foot strip was rotted, and there was a soft just forward of the right corner from a the anchor being dropped on it. There was no rot anywhere else. The bilge and foam was bone dry all the way to the haul. I also plan on adding an extra piece of ply to the bottom where that compartment is to add some strength an rigidity since there will be a seat bolted there. It doesn't look like that now, the hole is cut and almost the entire deck has been sanded flat. All holes and cracks have been grinded and filled with a fiberglass polyester resin jelly I got at West Marine.

DSC_0229.jpg

This is the piece I cut for the chaseway. It fits perfectly with about a little over an 1/8" all around for whatever I have to do to make it right.

DSC_0159-2.jpg

This is the boat before I got it tore apart. The console was garbage so I trashed it and bought a new one. The teak also trash, but it was saved, and used as a template. I got clear pine, stained it, then used an entire can of marine lacquer so it should survive for a few years. I can't afford teak or the upkeep.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Should I sand or grind around the patch to get down to the old fiberglass, maybe like 6-8 inches all around the hole or will the resin adhere ok to the gelcoat. It has been sanded and wiped down with acetone.

Yes you should grind/sand to fiberglass. Glassing over gelcoat is not a good idea.

OH..Cool boat too .. me likes :) .

YD.

Do you have any advice about wrapping/painting the piece I cut to cover the cables, wires, etc?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Fill any voids in the surface and or edges with wood filler. Then You should pre coat the wood with resin+hardener. It will take about 30 to 45 mins for it to start to tack up and cure. Precut a piece of CSM to fit the piece you are cutting with about a 1" overlap. roll on some more resin on one side and lay the glass. Don't use too much resin just enuf to wet out the mat. Take care to not get and air bubbles in the surface. In 30 -45 mins when it tacks up flip it over on some plastic and do the other side the same way. When it sets up trim the edges flush. Now tear some strips of 2" wide glass pieces. By tearing it it becomes more flexible and makes it easier to wrap around the edges of the plywood. Wet out the edges and wrap them with the torn strips of glass and wet it out taking care not to get air bubbles. Then as YD says sand the edges of the existing glass all around. Fill the gap between the plug piece you made and the existing edges with Thickened resin (Resin, Cabosil and Chopped Glass fibers mixed to the consistency of Peanut butter.) Sand everything smooth then lay another layer of CSM over the entire area extending about 3-4" out onto the existing glass. Then use some 6oz Glass Cloth to cover everthing and finish it off. You're done. You can gelcoat or paint.

I thought you said to use 2 layers of csm, 1 layer of 1708, and then another layer of csm? Also I am not glassing in the wires, I am leaving them accessible, so I will need to be able to remove the piece.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I was talking about the Large Piece. The 1708 is needed for strength. If you re-read my post I did use two layers of CSM just not the 1708. The small piece for your wire run does not require that much strength. Are you hinging this piece? How are you planning on preventing water from getting in to the cavity? Why do you want/need to have access?

chriscraft254

Commander

Nice old Aqua! Never seen a chase like that before for the wiring. You could just drop in a piece of 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe and then glass that area in. Then just fish the wires through the pipe to the the engines/stern. Thats the way most center consoles were done. The bigger the pipe the better.

If you go that route make sure you glass in both ends real well so water doesn't get around the pipes edge and rott something underneath.

If your staying coarse, it may be easier to recore the old peice/cover than make a new one.

I was just going to drop it in place like the old one. I thought it would be good to have access to the wires and stuff. Right now it drains to the back and then out, so no water would ever get under the deck, the bottom is sealed. I will try to get you some better pictures of it tomorrow morning. The old piece is gone so I made a new one. I figured I could either wrap it or just resin it up real good and then just paint it. If it rots out in a couple years, so be it I ll just make a new one, it only took an hour. Using pvc seems like water might get trapped in there. Like I said I will get some pics in the morning so you can see what I mean.

As you can see from this picture the chase runs right to the back. I suppose I could just glass it in after running the wires and such, but I don't know how to keep the water out of there. And if I need to access those cables or something I have to tear up the deck.

DSC_0236.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If all you want to do is make a removable cover then just coat the plywood with resin like I said, then when it tacks up re coat it and lay a lyer of CSM and wet it in. When that tacks wet it down and lay som 6oz cloth and wet it in. Let it cure and sand it down. Paint it with Valspar Paint with Hardener and call it good. It'll last for years.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

As you can see from this picture the chase runs right to the back. I suppose I could just glass it in after running the wires and such, but I don't know how to keep the water out of there. And if I need to access those cables or something I have to tear up the deck.

DSC_0236.jpg

This is one cool tooled deck :) ..

Yes .. um.. NO do NOT glass that 'chase' closed !

You need to figure a way to just secure a cover for it ( Now I know what your talking about ).

I guess you need to figure out if that channel has been damaged before you cover it up. Glass repair as needed before a corner fails and breach the deck ( custom channels have been known to fail after the concept of the boat goes to production ).

I can think of a few ways to cap this channel .. one would be Starboard ( expensive but you might be able to find scraps ).

Next would be Well fitted MG ply that has been prepped with epoxy and coated with a 2 part 'thane' ( like Awl Grip ).

Silicone your 'lids' ( without fasteners ) so you can access them if you need to.

Im still thinking about how I would do it.. gimme some time.. these are just off the top of my head :) .

Do NOT glass it !

YD.

I already cut the plywood, you can see it in the pics on the first page. What I am thinking of doing is coating it in resin like normal and then wrapping it with 1.5 oz CSM, putting the seem down. Then either rolling it or spraying it with the gelcoat I have for the deck. What do you think about that? The chase is solid, I jump up and down on it. There are a couple small screw holes in it that I have to patch, but that's it. If not glass, maybe just resin and gelcoat?

On the underside of the plywood piece is wax used or not since there will be no cloth going on it I assume it should totally cure?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I already cut the plywood, you can see it in the pics on the first page. What I am thinking of doing is coating it in resin like normal and then wrapping it with 1.5 oz CSM, putting the seem down. Then either rolling it or spraying it with the gelcoat I have for the deck. What do you think about that? The chase is solid, I jump up and down on it. There are a couple small screw holes in it that I have to patch, but that's it.

As long as the wood still fits in the channel then you should be fine with this.

On the underside of the plywood piece is wax used or not since there will be no cloth going on it I assume it should totally cure?

If you have wax then yea..

YD.

The resin and glass is on the underside of the patch and wrapped the sides. Letting completely cure over night and putting it in place in the morning. It seems like it took quite a bit of resin to wet the mat. Also I think I may have gotten one little spot of air bubbles I was unable to get out, it dried a little lighter than the rest. Since this is the underside does this little area matter? Hopefully I did it right. First time ever doing anything with fiberglass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you use CSM on the underside or just resin. You must use mat if you are using poly resin. If epoxy then none is needed. Just want to make sure that when you said you don't need cloth on the underside that we are talking about the same thing.