1st boat suggestions-Eastern shore, Md.?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1st boat suggestions-Eastern shore, Md.?

The wood vs wood-free (or "new" as seabuddy calls it) topic has been done many times here and on all the other sites. I would add one other perspective: A well made boat with wood is very much a hands-on effort. No problem for low volume custom builders with skilled workers. The wood-free designs are more engineering intensive. If carefully designed and their build processes followed to the letter, good results with less labor. So a wood-free approach is attractive to high volume builders. Both appoaches can get good results, but the Zen is different.

Kelly

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I got some CDs for various manufacturers explaining their construction process. Others outline it on their web sites. Now I understand a little more about what they were trying or not trying to tell me.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The most hilarious thing I've run into with manufacturers explaining their construction is when they try to skirt around fiberglass chop. Of course the very word "chop" has become a red flag to many shoppers, even though most builders still use some here and there. So to avoid contaminating their copy with the dreaded "chop" word, one builder calls this "fiberglass schedule". Not kidding ...

Kelly

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Chop mat" rather than "chopper gun spray" is usually more uniform as a skin coat. Uniform flexes evenly when the boat works. If its an even flex, the fatigue is spread out over a larger area and the boat has no hard spots that might be forced to take too much of a load.

mattttt25

Commander

The wood argument doesn't work for me. Sure, if I was buying a 20' ski boat to be used in the rivers, I'd look for composite with no wood. But wood is used because it is strong, and many manufacturers have perfected the art of laying up a wood hull and glassing it right. You won't find a big offshore fishboat without wood. My Grady is a 1994 hull. Lots of wood, lots of hand laid glass. No flex anywhere. Grady, along with others do it right.

One other manufacturer that hasn't been mentioned is Parker. I am certain you've seen plenty around the Bay, they are as popular as Grady is with the fish guys. While I don't like the look of them personally, they are a great brand and many offer an enclosed pilot house. I was just out on my buddy's 25' yesterday. Low 50s, running all over the Bay and we were toasty. Also one of the mos stable platforms out there, with a very wide beam.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

330%20Coastal_run.jpg

That sould fit bill, outstanding customer service, nicely appointed,it would take that chop posted above quite nicely, and provide enough room for almost any adventure your up to aside from any large crossing's...

WellCraft Coastal 330........:cool:

mattttt25

Commander

I'm actually looking at the 33 Coastals along with the 31 Tiara and Pursuit, but I think he mentioned trying to stay a little smaller. But agree, the Coastal is another good option, even the 29 w/ outboards.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I am thinking a little smaller especially to start with. I can imagine arriving at the Oxford docks around 2 on a weekend afternoon with my 330 Coastal (having owned it for 2 days) and trying to back into a tight spot down wind. You do not want to be the boat owner next to me with only one pile separating us(at least not until I find an on the water training course for beginners)! But as an addition to my learning curve, I now know about Wellcraft boats. Thanks.

Last edited:

jarata

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Please just buy a boat

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Shoot, if you just want to expand the list, you could also throw Albemarle, Carolina Classic, Four Winns, Holby Pilot, MJM, Pearson, Robalo, and Scout on there ....

<with apologies to jarata>

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes, I am thinking a little smaller especially to start with. I can imagine arriving at the Oxford docks around 2 on a weekend afternoon with my 330 Coastal (having owned it for 2 days) and trying to back into a tight spot down wind. You do not want to be the boat owner next to me with only one pile separating us(at least not until I find an on the water training course for beginners)! But as an addition to my learning curve, I now know about Wellcraft boats. Thanks.

I am in the automotive ind and not the marine. I have just a little Wellcraft and had some Warranty issue's....They took care of me like one would expect from a Lexus dealer....i will not forget that for a long time.

By the way i think if you demo a Wellcraft in a hard chop, most of this adventure will be very easy you.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try a boat equipped with a bow thruster.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Tried that with the Hinckley. Certainly makes docking easier. The cost differential makes it possible to consider taking lots of instruction and enjoying the fun of learning how to handle a variety of boats.

My curiosity in pursuing the suggestions many of you have contributed appears to be wearing on some. Thanks for taking the time to help educate a novice.

skargo

Banned

So what did you end up getting?