1st boat suggestions-Eastern shore, Md.?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1st boat suggestions-Eastern shore, Md.?

go rent a couple of different type boats and get the feel of them,, then you will be armed properly to make a decision. center console, cuddy, express. or atleast get a test drive on each. if you buy used get a survey, and don't load up the guest until you are sure it is a reliable boat.

nothing worse than having a load, and it won't start,

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

tashadaddy
Started looking into rentals for the reasons you suggest. Assume I would start with a 20ft and work up, but as someone new to boating, wouldn't the marinas be reluctant to rent to me (I will have completed 16 hours of Power Squadron courses,but I have no practical experience)?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they usually go over everything with you, as to where the controls are. that's the chance they take, and why they charge so much. in the Fl Keys, anyone over 18 can rent a boat.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont believe most people get it right the first time. I didnt. Suggest before you make a big investment, buy a used boat and get a feel of things. FRED

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

tashadaddy
Started looking into rentals for the reasons you suggest. Assume I would start with a 20ft and work up, but as someone new to boating, wouldn't the marinas be reluctant to rent to me (I will have completed 16 hours of Power Squadron courses,but I have no practical experience)?

As long as you've completed the boating saftey course and you have your certificate in hand your good to go in Maryland. The bigger problem is finding a rental in the land of the lawyers.

I checked out the South River Marina which is that only place that I know that rents anything larger than a skiff and came up with this.

Powerboats
Boat Size 1/2 Day 1 Day
Wellcraft 21' 400 700
Monark 21' 450 800
Wahoo 26' *700 *1200

* Captained Only - Captain fee included in price shown

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Dingbat
I saw that site also. looked straight forward except for price ,but after a call they seem to be ready to discuss price if one is interested in more than a few hours. Going to look at a few boats this weekend. The cold rain predicted should help in negotiations.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you get to sea trial a few boats, make this one of them. A 298 or 318 Monterey. Again, twin engined boat. Big head for the Admiral.

One of the top performing hulls of its size around. It really shines after you try a couple of others and then get this one out on the bay.

Again, lots of entertaining/cruising space.

Do not forget to count the seats that are well protected if you set up all the canvas. I even sometimes sit from position to position in the cockpit to get the seating count for a given boat. If you want to entertain/cruise three couples, many boats will fill your needs. If you want to entertain/cruise 10 full size folks, few will.

Glad to see you posting back. I love this post's feeling.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Again, thanks for all your good advice.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

298 Monterey boats are very much around as a used boat, if you want to go used.

However, there are deals on new, but leftover 2005 and 2006 models of boats that come with a warranty for 2 -4 - 6 years and are priced cheaper than a nice, used boat when you figure your monthly payments.

Used boats asking prices have not come down yet, like leftover, new boat prices have.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

I am getting lots of emails and phone calls about new boat discounts so you are on top of the market. But there are also some individual sellers of used boats that do not want them for the winter and they seem to be very interested in dealing, now.
Have found a few Montereys relatively close to Eastern Shore but more Cobalts. 2 engines vs.1 but they both seem to get positive reviews. The Montereys also seem to have less draft, which I am advised may be relevant in certain parts of the rivers feeding the Chesapeake.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most boat builders sites will list the draft of a boat's draft (drive down) with both a single set-up and a twin engine set-up. if the hull has a deeper vee, the draft of the two set-ups are within inches of each other.

Now, if you go with a flatter bottom shape vee, the draft will be less.

If you go with an extremely light boat, the draft will be less.

Both will not ride as well, in most cases, on the Chop of the Chesapeake Bay.

Take a ride and see this for yourself.

There is a pecking order within boat brands. Some make it very complex. I do not. Think Chevy, think, Buick, think Caddy. Or pick three offshore brands of cars. In the last five years or so, all brands have marched up somewhat which may confuse the order but there is an order.

Most dealers will try to spin their brand to be alittle bit better, but nail them by asking the question if their brand is at the Cobalt level or Grady White level if its a fish boat style. Most will be honest and answer yes or no, with a long explaination. May I suggest that some of that is salesmanship.

One thing, if you intend to finance your boat, dealers sometimes do have finance programs on their leftovers that make the monthly payments lower versus used. They are in the trade, it stands to reason that they will know how to get the best finance deal if it means a sale that otherwise would go to a private party. If you are a cash buyer, the private party may very well be the low cost deal.

I do not know if you like warranties, but new comes with one, used does not and is you try to get one on a used boat and motor, most will be from an insurance company that has some extra limitations that a new boat and motor would not.

Again, test all of this for yourself.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Is there some source for the pecking order of boats that you mention? Without intending to offend anyone, I sense that Bayliner may be closer to your Chevy and Hinckley may be closer to the Rolls Royce. But how does one know about those in the middle? For example, with no knowledge but trying to learn from this forum and elsewhere, here is how I would rank what I have seen from lowest to improving quality(and price seems to follow) for a 26-29ft boat--I know some are center console, others are bowriders, or cuddy cabins, and some may be equal to each other, but this is just my novice impression:

Bayliner
SeaRay
Formula
Chapparal
Boston Whaler
Grady White
Monterey
Cobalt
Chris Craft
Regulator
Pursuit
Hinckley

All thoughts and corrections welcomed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a decent used boat just to get your feet wet. Then with a little experience you can make a good decision on what style of boat best suits your life style.

People get this idea that they want to buy a boat but have little or no practical experience on the local waters and they either end up getting something that isn?t suitable and or practical for what they want to do.

A lot also come to realize how much work and expense it requires to maintain a boat in a saltwater environment and end up selling for pennies on the dollar a couple of years later.

My present boat I bought from my dentist. He purchased a home in St. Michael?s and had to have a boat. Being the type of guys that he is, he went out and bought a loaded Grady and put a little over 50 hours on it the first 2 years before he tired of the experience.

To make a long story short, he offered it to me for what he owed on it at the time which was roughly half the price of new. Needless to say, I accepted his offer on the spot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The problem with your list is that each has a specialty and some of them are not know for their saltwater boats. While Chapparal and Colbalt and a few others on that list may make good freshwater boats I certainly wouldn't consider them for a saltwater application. That's not their specialty.

If I wanted a CC it would be a Contender, no doubt. If I wanted an Express or W/A it would be a Grady, an Interpid or possbily a Pursuit.

For the money that Hinckley is asking there are a lot of more seaworthy boats on the market in that price range. Then again, what do you want.

I personally wouldn't consider anything on that list below a Trophy but that's just me.

Bayliner
SeaRay
Formula
Chapparal
Monterey
Cobalt
Chris Craft
Trophy
Boston Whaler
Pursuit
Grady White
Interpid
Regulator
Contender
Hinckley

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Everyone should have their own listing as we all "filter" what we research.

Yours is fine, mine might vary alittle from your but you are not far enough off to worry about it.

Get some rides. Most do not and therefore do not know how much difference there really is between various boats and models within one brand. Not all Cobalts have Cobalt's best running hull. Only one model does, and then there is a pecking order down from there. On average they are better than most.

In another boat line, the 298 Monterey is, IMO, their best running hull and is far above others in that size/style that one would lump in when considering that size/type boat.

Buy new or used based on what you like. IMO, the boat you buy should blow your hair back. Its a love affair. Do not buy a boat until you are in love.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Dingbat brought up some VERY good points. Brand rankings usually trigger bloodbaths. But since Dingbat was brave enuff to make the first cannonball into the pool, I will follow ...

Bayliner
(err, conspicuous gap)
Chaparral, Monterey, Sea Ray (very little difference)
Chris-Craft (mostly for flash and finish)
(anudder gap)
Cobalt, Formula
Boston Whaler, Grady-White (mostly wut dingbat said on fresh vs saltwater)
Hinckley (again, that flash and finish thing)
Pursuit, Regulator

Back to the bunker,
Kelly

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all. I thought my "list" might generate some response and good advice , which it did. Also added a few new manufacturers which is helpful.
Need to find that "dentist" who is tired of his toy!

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One ot the things that a list does not address is how one weights tech stuff versus craftmanship, versus, warranty, versus ride.

Very late model Chris Crafts are very extremely finished to a spit shine and use a very good grade of materials, but they use rather older style construction methods and then smother that with re-work on top of re-work to get that finish.

Cobalt pays the dealer or boat yard their retail price for any warranty work, many others on the list do not. So, those discounted warranty coverage labor rates may effect how much and how soon a boat warranty repair job will get done.

Grady White uses the older style construction methods but over-sizes everything figerglass and metal, and I mean all of it. I always get the feeling that they would be hard to bend or break, but some do not like the older style construction methods.

So, each person's mind will "value" these things differently and then such lists re-rank the brands.

dmccorki

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,Seabuddy. Wonderful information that can only be gathered thru experience and, even then, may not be known to most buyers.

In another life I used to restore pre war (WWII) cars. There were lots of panels where knowledgeable folks would share opinions and information.
The internet is now my "panel" for boats but it was sure a lot easier to get a group in a room and ask a lot of questions, especially for one who does not know the older boat construction methods from the newer techniques. By the time I finish reading the latest edition of Chapman, I should have even more questions!

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about a short lesson? Not definitive, but a start.

Boat hull structure.

Boats were first wood.

Then boats were wood covered with Fiberglass or Fiberglass but with wood stringers, engine beds, and bulkheads.

Now some boats do not use wood at all in their skin or their hull structure.

Grady uses wood in its structure and is proud of it. Gives a different "feel" or "flex" as the boat goes over the waves, they say (and its true).
So I call that "old", in simple terms.

A company that I visited was Bryant Boats. They do not use wood at all. I saw it for myself. I call that "new", in simple terms.