1997 Sea Ray 175

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1997 Sea Ray 175

Ok, time to take the engine out:

1. Outdrive off - check (U-joint could've looked better, may have to change that -- I had some salt water get pretty high, by my standards, into the bilge and I'm wondering if water can get into the bellow from the interior -- another story for another day - lets just say that even at idle speed, rocks don't mix well with fiberglass). I was pleased that the outdrive came off easily though.

2. unplug the big plug (wiring harness), take off the upper shift cable, lower shift cable, throttle cable, take off the 2 wires coming in from the transom assembly (tilt trim meter?? Like that was gonna work on my 1987 - haha), battery cables, 2 big bolts in back, 2 bolts in front, exhaust pipe, and fuel line. Don't know if I left anything out, but it is ready.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 2

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh, I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but due to my not trusting the cable puller, comealong, I kept a rope tied from the chain on the engine to the 2x6 on the hoist and periodically adjusted it. I felt that it could give some support in case the cable puller broke. May have been a false sense of security and I'm glad I didn't have to find out!

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, these photos will bring me up to date. I left the engine in the project boat. Next, take the transom assembly from the donor boat. We will see how that goes, but bolts look pretty bad. They haven't been touched since 1987 and have been exposed to salt water.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 5

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Following along, I've got a 95 175 Sport, good luck.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Searayb - how do you like it? Do you know what size prop you use on it? How is your performance? How does it take waves?

I have a 14.5x19 on my outdrive now, it is pretty chewed up, so if I replace it, I could go with a prop more suited for this boat. I've liked the 19 pitch though, it seems like a good, all around, do everything prop. I wonder if the 175 would do better with a 21 pitch though.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

unfortunately the windshields are made for each hull. while many are similar, I have not found that one made for a particular boat fits another. Although you may get lucky. you may want to check with Taylor Made as they are the original manufacturers of the SeaRay windows.

Good thought Scott. I'm just hoping that maybe there are a few other Sea Rays that could possibly fit it so that it could broaden my search.

It is crazy how pricey the curved boat windshields are.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was able to make a little bit more progress. I removed the transom plate and gimbal housing from the donor boat. A couple of the nuts and bolts were in really bad shape and I'm going to replace them before the reassembly. Considering that they were from 1987, I was surprised that I was able to get them out.

Question for everyone: The two bottom bolts are the anode bolts. I think they are made of aluminum. If I don't store the boat in the water, do I have to use these same bolts or can I use stainless steel? I may have a couple of them from a previous project, but I wanted to see if I could use something else. My current ones broke during when I was removing them.

Oh, and I found that one of the bolt holes in my exhaust tube (I'm so used to calling it a y-pipe from my V8 boat), had completely rotted away, so I've ordered a used one of those off of ebay. I was surprised to find one for only $35, and from the photos, it is in great condition.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly I had the 14.5x19 on my Ray and it was the optimal for hole shot and a top end of 45mph with the 3.0LX in my 96 but from what I can see everything you have should almost plug and play give or take a few oods and ends. WATCHING!!!!!!!!!!

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use the 14.5x19 in my 1987 boat and the hole shot, cruising rpm/speed, and top end are fine. I don't get 45mph out of it, but it is a heavier boat and I'm sure the hull design isn't as good.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

With the 3.0LX and Alpha1Gen11 set up on my 175 it would almost jump onto plane before I hit full throttle with that prop! I have also been trying to remember the manufacturer of the windshield but I'm 2 a loss.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm wondering how the performance would be with a 21 pitch prop. I bet the hole shot would still be fine, but the fuel efficiency may be a little better at cruising speed. Either way, I'm sure it will be used to tube/ski/wakeboard, so I'm going to stick with the 19 pitch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

for skiing and wakeboarding you may need to get down to a 17 or a 15 pitch.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

That was the only size I used on my Ray anything else gave to many rpm or just wasn't performing to my liking. I could yank my 200lb son out of the water on ski's with not even a flintch of load on the powertrain and would make tubers yell slow down ( except my daughter). I also think you'll like the hull's performance but the only thing I disliked about the rig was it was carpeted something I wanted to change but unfortunately never happened before I sold it. I loved that rig!

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the cockpit, I see how they have all of that carpet over the fiberglass. The fiberglass is pretty slick, so I understand the reasoning, but I don't like carpet either (unless it is snap in). So, I'm not going to put carpet in. I'm likely going to go with a sundeck type of design, so between the sundeck and the ski locker, there really shouldn't be that much exposed "slick" fiberglass. I'm thinking of putting a non-skid of some sort on it as opposed to carpet though. We will see. That is a long way away. I'm first going to do the mechanicals and then worry about the cosmetics.

Oh, I found that I had 2 extra anode bolts for the transom assembly, so I don't have to buy new ones. I think I have everything to put the transom assembly in now.

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Marc, I have a 14.5 x 19 Solas Rubex, works great for tubing, wake boarding and cruising with 6 adults on board. Performance is great, as far as waves go it gets a little rough when there's a lot of bigger boats on the water, nothing you wouldn't expect for a 17.5 ft boat. Looks like you're well on your way with rebuild, thanks for the update.

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Mark, for what it's worth you could try Sea Ray Product support for a windshield. It may be a shot in the dark due to the age of the boat. Denise Scalf
Sea Ray Boats
Product Support
865.971.6250 (phone)
865.971.6479 (fax)
denise.scalf@searay.com

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Marc, if you need a template for the dash panel pm me your address I'll send you a cardboard template so you can cut a new one. I replaced mine this past fall.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Which dash panel? The upper part (like the beige part that is like an actual dashboard) or the lower part (the plastic black part that houses the instruments). I was actually able to find a used instrument panel, so I'm good there.

I will try that for the windshield.

Thank you!