1996 Stingray 556ZP

BruceShark

Seaman Apprentice
After many delays, work and other home issues. I'm back to the boat. Started removing the engine today and came across two issues I'm not sure what to do with. First I had a bolt snap off trying to take the exhaust off the engine (see pic). Then I realized in all the videos I've watched no one has had power steering on their boat. This boat does have it? I'm not sure how I should drain it/remove it?

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

todhunter

Canoeist
Not sure about the broken bolt - looks really rusty. Maybe try soaking in some penetrant and using a broken bolt extractor? If it's really bad, you may have to carefully drill and tap, or do a thread insert. If it's really really bad, replace the manifold. If you're not confident in your own bolt extraction skills, take the manifold to a competent machine shop and see if they will do the extraction and/or thread repair.

My boat (Mercruiser 350 / Alpha One) does have power steering. I just disconnected a line and drained the old fluid into a can/small bucket.

BruceShark

Seaman Apprentice
@todhunter thanks, I'd found some info that said the same and that's what I ended up doing. I removed from the power steering ram, I probably should have removed the lowest from the reservoir though. My mistake. But it worked and we got the engine out!

Attachments

• IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5