1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

Good to hear. This is a great project that I'd like to see reach the "completed" phase.

KP,

I just read through your thread. Very nice work indeed. This is a great thread showing the use composites. Please grind through the last bits here KP. You will be so glad you did. Keep the pics coming.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am almost done. I am just putting things back together now. Nothing too exciting. It's like figuring out a puzzle. I do wish there was more room b/t the engine and transom. It is a real PIA connecting the raw inlet water hose, steering, trim sender wires, etc. Not a lot or room back there. I post a pic soon

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here are some PICs. I now have the stern drive together. Just a few more things to hook up. The seats will have to be bolted into the floor. Because the Nida core is basically hollow (just honey combs) I'll have to do the "potting thing". That's where you basically cave out the center where the bolt is going to go, fill with epoxy, and then drill and tap the hole. It sounds like a major PIA. I will let you know how it goies.

View attachment 143513boat washed on driveway.jpg

Attachments

• engine in boat after restore.jpg
    engine in boat after restore.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sterndrive on after restore.jpg
    sterndrive on after restore.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Could you not use some type of toggle bolt type deal for the seats?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I might be able to use a toggle bolt. The problem is that the composites big weak point is it's compression strength. That's why you don't see Nida Core used in the transom. As soon as you tighten the transon plate it would crush the honeycomb center. I am not sure if the toggle bolt would do the same thing. I have a sample piece I could try it on. With the amount of strenght required for the seat, I don't think it will work.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK...it's done. I took it on the water a couple of times already. Here are some pics. There were times I thought I would never get this thing back together. I couldn't let it beat me though, and I did not want to be that guy who has to sell his project unfinished. It's hard to call this one a victory after considering the time and money, but maybe your coments will help. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• beached off of siesta key beach.jpg
    beached off of siesta key beach.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat off of siesta key beach.jpg
    boat off of siesta key beach.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Anyone who kept up with this thread certainly learned a ton as did you of course. Boat looks great on the water. I'm very jealous of your boating area there!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks you have been with me from the begining. It is a nice area. I am thinking about checking out Cayo Costa this weekend. It is a little state park accessible by boat only a couple of miles off of Bocca Grande island. Stay in touch, maybe I can show you around the area some day. My in laws are in NJ, so maybe we will look you up also.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My aunt and uncle are in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. They let us use their condo for our honeymoon ten years ago. We thought it was a beautiful area for sure.

KP,

Great job. This was a very infoamtive thread and you did a great job! Take pride and enjoy. WOW, I wish the Chesepeake looked like that!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We lived in Colorado for 10 years. The mountains were nice and we even got to spend some time in the Rocky Mountains. The summers however were short and we missed the beach. Now we have the beautiful white sandy beaches but no mountains. I think the old people that live here have it figured out. They migrate north when it's hot and humid and spend the winters down here. By the way, I am itching for another project, but don't tell my wife she would kill me. I'd like to do a 24 to 30 foot center console. This time I'd do all coosa board. I'd stick with the urethane paint. Who knows...we will see.

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

... It's hard to call this one a victory after considering the time and money, but maybe your coments will help. Thanks to all.

KP, This is a victory to be sure!!! Look what you did - although discouraged, you drove it to completion. How much did you know about boat building before you started... probably jack. The human spirit is amazing. Celebrate your accomplishment!

Job well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

KP WOW good to see you have hit the water, again very fine job.

I see you talking about the snow birds from up here all my relatives and my father actually do this. A couple of them own condos in different areas . i actually did the trip some years ago for the kids to see and enjoy the attractions. I am getting at the stage in life to almost start doing the migration thing. I am knocking on the door of 50 in another couple years and am just not ready yet....give me 5 more and maybe I can do it. I probably will never do the the attraction thing again but would love to enjoy the weather.

Actually alot of people up here are doing arizona now as it is alot less humid for arthritic people ...Seems alot of people have that these days

Anyhow getting back to your restore. Thanks for all the great info and I hope everything stands up the way you planned. Keep us informed because I am like you if I get this done I might have to get another one to do...

I like that colour blue..and was my colour schemes too

Man I cant wait to get back on the waters....I was laying back in the rv last weekend watching all them boats rip up the head pond and my wife looked at me....she never had to say anything there is nothing like being on the water.

Get out and Enjoy her....hehehehe I mean the boat

Cheers

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outback,

I wish I was as close to you are in starting my retirement. Age wise I am not far off, but unless my wife wants to support me I am afraid it's going to be many years before I can think about retiring. I may even have to tack on an extra year because of this boat project. I heard a lot of snowbirds migrate to Az. Not a lot of vegitation there and no ocean. Lake Havasu is awsome however.

By the way I love the paint. It does not seem to fade one bit. I remember when I hade the Gelcoat before, it always seemed a little dull after taking the boat out of coulpe of times. I always felt like I had to wax, or polish it every so often. Not with this paint. After a quick rinse down, it looks like I just got done spraying it.

I'd like to again thank everyone for their support and interest in this project.

parrisw

Ensign

OK...it's done. I took it on the water a couple of times already. Here are some pics. There were times I thought I would never get this thing back together. I couldn't let it beat me though, and I did not want to be that guy who has to sell his project unfinished. It's hard to call this one a victory after considering the time and money, but maybe your coments will help. Thanks to all.

Wow that's an amazing looking lake!!!!!!!! Nice boat too!!