1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

Jack,

I know....I am not using a paint booth. I have been really lucky avoiding dust, dirt and bugs getting in the paint. For one thing the boat is higher off the ground then a car, so you are less likely to kick up dirt. Also, it is so hot right now that the paint flashes in a few minutes, so anythng that lands in the paint after that won't be a problem. I also wet the floor to keep the dust down. With the HVLP or High Efficiency guns you are not blowing as much air around. Hopefully all these things will continue to work in my favor when I paint the cap....maybe tomorrow.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I brushed a couple of areas with the 2K primmer. It seems to cover much heavier then spraying. It all gets sanded off anyway, so I don't know why more people don't brush one primmer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm interested as are probably a number of other tin guys. I have no useful comments though!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love comments weather you guys think they are useful or not....keepen comming. I love going on here daily and checking. I wish I had a camera, then I could do something similiar to Jay, although he would be a tough act to follow. Take Care and thanks. I hope to have the cap painted today.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love comments weather you guys think they are useful or not....keepen comming. I love going on here daily and checking. I wish I had a camera, then I could do something similiar to Jay, although he would be a tough act to follow. Take Care and thanks. I hope to have the cap painted today.

we love pics too!! Lot of watch and learners out there so tell us what how and why you chose do do what you are doing.:D

Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I painted the cap today. It turned out great, super glossy with no contaminants in the paint. I love the new gun. I did get a couple of runs, so I will have to wet sand and paint again on Thursday. I couldn't resist the urge to lay the paint down nice and wet on the first coat. That was a mistake because it ran. This was my first time using this paint, so on Thursday things should go smooth.

Seamorewater,

The reason I choose this paint is mainly price. It's like 75 bucks for 5 sprayable quarts. It is automotive paint, but now days most automotive paint is a Urethane base coat/clear coat. Imron which most people think of as a boat or airplane paint now has several formula which are .....guess what single stage urethane. I am not an expert by any means, but it seems like Urethane paint is Urethane paint, unless someone can tell me different. This Tamco stuff is awsome. It was my fault I got a couple of runs from laying it on too thick. It is not the paints fault. It sprays awsome and has great gloss.

Attachments

• starboard stern painted cap.jpg
    starboard stern painted cap.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bow cap painted.jpg
    bow cap painted.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • rear cap painted.jpg
    rear cap painted.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • port side rear vent painted cap.jpg
    port side rear vent painted cap.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0

tallcanadian

Captain

I gotta say, great job on the boat so far. The paint looks perfect and very glossy. This will be one classy boat for sure. I like the video too. Nice work.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Great Video, you must have done some painting before. I use to spray gelcoat and run chop gun back , years are ticking by every time I mention it , it get's longer. But it was one of my first jobs back in 82. Never had to worry about much as it was sprayed on the mold. But really you must have done some spraying because it does look real good and that is what I would like to see on my boat. I would love to try spraying just to say I did the whole boat on my own. But I always get the gut feeling of this big run :) I will probably call in the recruits when it is spray time. I have had a couple volunteers already. Looks Great Keep it up :)

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outback,

If you have a couple of volunteers lined up, then you can't beat that deal. All this stuff is messy, nasty, toxic business. Not the best thing to be doing in the family garage. I was told by the Blue Water Marine Rep that painting my boat would probably cost 5K. I am sure I could have found someone to do it a little cheaper, but that still very expensive. I probably have half that invested anyway in paint, primmers, equipment, etc..but again a lot of my purchases were unnecessary and a lot of material was wasted. For the next project, I will be ready to go.

I now know I can now buy good paint for < 100.00 per gallon, an nice Gravity feed gun for $60.00. 2 gallons of epoxy primer for $100.00. A used 6 CFM compressor for approx. $200.00, a respirator for $20.00. A gallon of reducer $20.00. Basically for under $1000.00 someone can paint their entire boat and that's going from no equipment to everything you need.

I have painted a few cars years ago in the early 1990. Back then everything was much cheaper. Everything was sprayed out of conventional gun. I used to get pretty good results with my siphon feed conventional gun. I buffed everything out anyway, so even if it wasn't perfect out of the gun, it didn't matter. On this project I over researched and fell into a "Yacht marketing" trap which ended up costing a lot of money. Had I not been so OCD from the begining I would have purchased a less expensive "Urethane" paint (instead of Yact paint) and a gravity feed gun (instead of a presure pot).

If you keep everything clean, follow the manufactures intructions in reguards to types of reducer or harders (slow, medium, fast), mix everything in correct ratios, watch some youtube vidoes on proper spraying technique, you will have good results. Yes, there are a lot over variables here, but it's possible. The paint I am not using is only 80.00 a gallon, so if you have to reshoot it's not the end of the world.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cap is looking good. I enjoyed the video and found it informative.

I'm guilty of the same offense when spray painting. I always put too much on wanting it to look "finished" right away.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sprayed the cap and have begun putting parts back onto the cap (windshield, upolstry pads, hand rails etc. I managed to avoid getting any runs in the paint this time. I had planed on doing this days ago, but I havn't gotten much done lately due to the kids going back to school, and all the time associated with getting them prepared.

Thanks for the compliment ezmobee

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the cap on the boat, now it's time to put everything back together. I am not that familiar with stern drives, gimble housing, power trim, etc. I am debating paying someone to help me put these things back together. Does anybody no anyone near Tampa that they can recomend?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100_1330.jpg100_1328.jpg100_1329.jpg100_1331.jpg100_1332.jpgThe boat is comming along. I got ahold of a manual and now feel more confident about putting everything back together. I had to order seals, so I can't go much more mechanically.

I have a question about the rub rail. There is a gap in some spots up to 1/4 of an inch. Should I try to seal the whole thing with 5200?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iboats would only let me post 5 pics at a time. Here are some more.

A couple of the PIC below show the Gap b/t the cap and the hull. I squeezed as much 3M 5200 in there as I could. Most of it dropped back out onto my garage floor. I also had to mask off the new paint so keep the goop off the new paint. I am not sure if the 5200 is there as a sealer or as an adhesive...maybe both. I can seal most of the boat, except the bow (not accessible) from the inside of the boat (see PIC). About half of the wood screws holding the cap on will not tighten, due to the hole being bored out. I am considering drilling new holes for the one that are stripped, and then sealing the old holes with 5200? Maybe I don't need to because the 5200 is such a strong adhesive? It is not in the photos, but the rub rail will go over the seam. I might add some more sealer since I have a couple spots it didn't seal completely? Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• 100_1336.jpg
    100_1336.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1335.jpg
    100_1335.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1334.jpg
    100_1334.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

Friscoboater

Captain

Thats a good question about eh 5200. I would think it would be ok.

parrisw

Ensign

Here is a video with more details about the gap issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-IRShSlJmI

Really great work thus far on your boat. I didn't take mine near that far.

About your gap, get it all sealed up you don't want water splashing in there. I'm guessing your hull went out of shape a little bit, get some 5200 or 4200 in there, put on some rubber gloves and press it into the gaps, that'll make it stay in there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps some rivets would be a good alternative to screws.