1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

Thanks Jay....you are a legend now. You practically have cult status among all boaters....LOL. I followed your project and have to compliment you on doing an excellent job. I can't believe how quickly you repaired your stern drive, and got your engine put in. I think your Dad kept you motivated and on track. I want to kick up the pace and get my boat done. Can you send me a link on the camera you used or recommend. I'd like to possible do some Youtube similar to what you did. I don't think I can improve upon anything you documented, but maybe since I am painting instead of gel coat it will be interesting. Please fill free to pipe in when necessary and keep me from making mistakes.

Friscoboater

Captain

I use the JVC GZ 200. The new model is the 300. It is a great camera, and is not too expensive.

I cannot wait to see how this boat turns out.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I worked on the cap today. I have some areas that still require body work on the cap. I wet sanded the entire cap and also did some body work on the cap. The interior of the boat is getting close to being ready to paint. I will need some heavy coats of primer on the cap where the vents are and where crack repair took place. Other then that the cap is also looking pretty good now.

entire cap wet sanded with 220.jpgcap taken off boat will be painted seperately.jpgsome areas on cap still require heavy primer and blocking.jpgfillet around vent.jpginterior almost ready for paint with cap off.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Prep is looking good.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The body filler used is an epoxy fairing compound. The first layer I made by myself by adding microballons and cabosil to the two part epoxy resin. The second layer is a comercial product called Quickfair by System Three. I got it on Craigs list second hand. Having done body work 20 years ago, I am use to polyester based fillers, and I would have to say that the Polyester based stuff is easier to use. For one thing the Ouickfair has to be mixed in exact ratios. This is difficult to do by volume because it's a cream and not a liquid. I had to use a mailing scale to measure the proper porportions. Being epoxy it also has to be mixed very thoughly. This is difficult to do since it's not a liquid. Mixing polyester bondo is so much easier. Simply guestimate the amount of the hardener and mix. If the ratio is a little off, it's not a big deal.

Bondo and similiar products however supposedly do not off the resistence against water and moisture the way the epoxy filler/ fairing compound does. Above the water line, I think I would have been fine with either product.

I did end up buying some high build 2k Urethane primmer. Most of the boat primmer I have seen is all epoxy primer. I like working with the Urethane Primmer for it's high build and easing sanding. It's being used above the water line. Does anyone know of any reason I should not have used the 2K Urethane? For the side of the boat I plan on buying more epoxy primer. I may even seal the entire boat with an epoxy sealer. Anyone out there with some paint knowledge...please comment?

registeroot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a real nice job so far.
my first coat of primer was high build 2k primer i rolled on and it looked really good. however i decided it wasnt required as i was rolling and tipping, i switched to pre-kote.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking very nice... I love the fact that you can just pop the top on the smaller boats and really get into them... Prep work is looking very good, and even the black practice spray area you laid down looks ok in the one shot of it you posted.

Keep up the good work! :)

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really want to work on the boat, but now we have family in town. Seems like every time I have all my materials and I am ready to go, I have other obligations. Yesturday I got to work for a couple of hours. I got my A** kicked the night before at a busy station. We actually had someone call "911" because he drank too much coffee....no he was not retarded. Someone else called because their AC went out and they can't afford to fix it, and can't take the heat. Oh well our tax dollars hard at work.

I was so tired yesturday that I just worked for a couple of hours. I got the black paint sanded off the side and washed the inside of the boat. Today I HAVE to go to the Water Park with my wifes out of town visitors. I'd really rather work on the boat. I thought I would at least post some pics today since I can't work. Tomorrow it's back to another busy 911 station for 24 hrs. Hope to work on the boat again on Wednesday.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

monster compressor.jpgwhere did the black go.jpgpressure pot setup.jpglizard shelter.jpgcleaned hull.jpgMy tools.

The Compressor I bought on craigs list. It needed some work, but is anawsome compressor. It's a two stage 24 CFM. I had to invest in new plumbing, new air filter, new regulator, and new pressure switch. It's runs my DA continuous without stopping.

The DA sander was on clearance for $10.00 at Harbor Freight. I have been beating the S**** out of it on this project and it's still working.

I put my boat cap on the side yard. I live in a HOA community, but so far the neighbors have been very understanding. Notice the lizard on the cap.

Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

inside painted white.jpginside painted snow white.jpgGot the inside painted. It turned out decent.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

KP,

What Paint R U using??

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is made by Blue water Marine. It is their Uraglow product line. It's a polyester urethane or polyester polyurethane (depending on how you want to say it). I have also heard LPU for linear Polyurethane. Alwgrip is also a polyester polyurethane, but it more expensive. The plus side is that the polyster is supose to be very durable, the negitive side is that is doesn't buff out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of equipment, guns R U Using to spray it with?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am using a pressure pot setup. It's a 2 gallon pot I got off craigslist. I just put a one qt container inside the pot anyhow. The gun is a conventional devilbiss 503 with a 1.4 nozzle. I painted the sides white today. Now I have to mask off the white and paint the blue black.sides painted white today.jpgsides painted white today.jpg

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran out of paint a few days ago, which is why there have not been any updates. I was using BlueWater Marine Uroglow Gold. This is there best paint. It is suppose to be comparable to Awlgrip. It is a Polyester Polyurethane. Polyester Polyurethanes are a class of very durable paints used in industrial coatings, aircraft, marine, water tanks, etc. The high gloss versions of these paints are often marketed as "Yacht paints", awlgrip, sterling, to name a couple. The down side is that they tend to be expensive, very hazardous to your health, and impossible to buff out. The plus side is that they are very durable, scratch resistant, excellent UV protection.

Another similiar type of paint is the Acrylic Urethane. Awlcraft is an example of this. Rather then spend another $200 for a sprayable gallon of BlueWater Gold, I have decided to try an Acrylic Urethane made by a "mom and pop" company called Tamco. They sell a lot of their products on Ebay. The acrylic urethane is still very durable and will suit my needs.

I have decided against using my pressure pot and conventional Devilbiss JGA. With a conventional spray gun 70% of the paint gets lost in the atmosphere. This stuff is nasty and I can't have it floating out of my garage giving the neighbors cancer. When I first started researching the Polyester paints I followed Awlgrips recommendations since they had the most documentation for this paint type. They suggested a pressure pot with a conventional gun. It's not necessary with the single stage Acrylic Urethane. Now I can save paint, reduce over spray and hopefully not reduce any ones life span.

I ended up ordering a Astro Pnuematic EuroHE105. It's got all machined parts, stainless steel, and good quality for the price.eurohe105.jpgside of boat hull just the white painted.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

WOW!. That deck looks great.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jay....I need the encouragement. If I named this boat it would be called "Learning Curve". What type of none skid did you use and where did you get it? I am hoping to save a little by not going with the name brands if possible. I was also wondering what's up with your carpet kit? Do you have a PIC with the carpet installed, or are you still waiting?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Astro with harbor freight disposable cup.jpgback of boat black.jpgfront of boat black strip.jpgView attachment 107730More paint, primer came in yesturday. The Astro Pneumatic EuroHE105 also came in yesturday. I decided to paint the strip this morning. I had great results with the Astro Pnuematic. I don't think I will ever go back to a conventional spay setup. I had way less overspray. I used way less product, and the clean up was way easier. I found these disposable cups at Harbor Frieght and absulutely love them. I had a problem with the primmer setting up too fast, but I will address that with Tamco.

Attachments

• port side black strip.jpg
    port side black strip.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • starboard black stripe.jpg
    starboard black stripe.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello? Anybody out there? I am starting to loose interest in posting updates. There seems to be a general lack of interest in my project. Is there something I should be doing differently to get people interested? I can't afford the video camera right now, so the youtube videos are out. Anyone have any questions or comments? Anybody?

By the way, Tamco called and said they think they sent me the winter formula of their primmer. She said she will send me the correct primmer, catalyst and reducer for free on Monday. So, far I am liking their products.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Real nice job on the paint, I don't see a spray booth . What procedure are you using on the paint set up? I want to try and paint mine but don't really have anywhere other then my garage.