1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Regal 17.6 Avanti restoration using composite materials

I am planning on adding one layer of 24 oz roving (epoxy resin) to my entire floor (surface veil). I will let this cure for one weak (Duratec's recommendation). Then I will wash the floor with soap and scrub pad (this removes any amine blush from the epoxy). Next I will sand with 80 grit. Then the Duratec gets applied. The Duratec will be guide coated and blocked out to get rid of imperfections. Finally the Gelcoat will be applied. I am planning on using a dump gun ES-100. It has a size 6 nozzle an spray the lower viscosity Gelcoat. The cheapest I have seen the ES-100 was at US composites for $119.00. With the patch aid I may be able to use a cheaper $15.00 gravity feed gun found at any automotive store? The final step will be to buff out the Gelcoat. Now I just need to wait on supplies and some warm weather.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am back at it again. I almost have the transome done. I laminated 3 layers of 1/2 coosa together and clamed it to the existing shell. Now I just have to put a skin of glass on the exterior of the transom. I will provide pics latter.

KP

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am REALLY glad to see you back on this one KP. Your use of composite materials has been very informative and interesting and this is a great reference thread for those considering them. Take lots of pics!!!

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Soooo....I gather you decided to keep her? Nice boat BTW. Be sure to check the other resto threads in here for using pontoon seats to put that sunsport seating you were talking about before. It looks great, and simplifies things.

Oh, and PICS PICS PICS!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I am just going to put my original seats back in. They are in good shape and I just want to get back on the water. Send me a link of the Pontoon seating if you got one. I'd like to check it out.

Transom PICS- Here are a couple of PICS of the transom. I used a total of 3 half inch thick pieces of Coosa Blue Water series. The blue water has two layers of Roving fiberglass cloth impregnated into it, so it should be strong enough. I was worried about the foam coosa board having enough compression strength, but a local boat guy told me that he drills random holes ( I used 1/2 in) in the transom. The epoxy resin then fills the holes and adds compression strength. It's kind of like rebar in concrete.

Next step is to laminate the coosa. I was planning on two layers of 18 oz roving, but not sure yet.

KP

Attachments

• Coosa transom.jpg
    Coosa transom.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • coosa  transom 2.jpg
    coosa transom 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

motor mounts.jpgfinished transom.jpgmotor mounts.jpgfinished transom.jpgNot sure if anyone is still watching, but here is the progress. I know it is slow going, that is because I have little time to work on it. The first PIC is the finished transom. It has two layers of 24oz Roving over the 3 layers of the coosa. On the motor mounts I went with wood....Yes you hear me...wood. I want something really strong and I am tired of spending huge money in composite materials. I thought about using the pourable transom stuff, but you can't beat a sheet of 3/4 inch CDX roofing plywood (exterier glue in CDX) for $20.00. It's strong and by the time I coat it with layers of epoxy resin and roving I should be fine.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ah ya blew it. Nothing but SeaCast would have been acceptable :p

Looks good. Getting closer!

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I added some two part foam today. I bought the 8 CU foot kit, but that was not enough. I need at least another 8 Cu Foot kit. The stuff is pretty cool. Do not handle the material by hand after mixing because the stuff gets super hot super fast. I had latex gloves on so I figured I could scoop out the tiny little amount that would not come out of the bucket. That was a mistake luckily I got the gloves off before I got burned.

I hate the wood motor mounts. I an not sure I can bring myself to put them in the boat. I might do fiberglass after all.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 89300View attachment 89299View attachment 89300View attachment 89299Not sure if anyone is still watching, but here is the progress. I know it is slow going, that is because I have little time to work on it. The first PIC is the finished transom. It has two layers of 24oz Roving over the 3 layers of the coosa. On the motor mounts I went with wood....Yes you hear me...wood. I want something really strong and I am tired of spending huge money in composite materials. I thought about using the pourable transom stuff, but you can't beat a sheet of 3/4 inch CDX roofing plywood (exterier glue in CDX) for $20.00. It's strong and by the time I coat it with layers of epoxy resin and roving I should be fine.

We are still watching. I will find those links for you with the pontoon seating. Just glass the wood motor mounts. Then you can only see the composite stuff. ;)

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Help!

My fuel tank is supper tight. there wasn't much space to begin with, but apparently I was a little off gluing the new stringers into place and now have no space on either side. I called Moeller fuel tanks and they said I will have problems if I don"t correct the spacing issue. Any comments?

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think they are 100% correct. Without the 1/4" spacing around the tank it's going to rub and wear a hole. Imagine the weight of that tank full of fuel as you wave jump in rough water - it would probably wear through in a season.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There customer service over there at moeller is to advise everyone to allow for spacing, without a real understanding for why. I just got off the phone with Ed, who I believe is an engineer over there. He said that initially a new or virgin tank goes through what is called a hydrocarbon expansion of up to 3 percent. Once this occures the tank will expand very little (probably the same rate as the stringers around it). Ed said that my tank (being almost 20 yrs old) has already expanded the 3 percent. I will use 3m 5200 around the tank to stop any chaffing that might occure. Ed said that I will probably be OK with the tank the way it is.

thank you.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More PICS. I foamed the gas tank into place. It worked beautifully. I mixed up some foam, quickly poured it under the tank and set the tank into place. I placed my body weight on the tank and the foam came up through the two holes in the middle of the tank and on the sides. I also placed a couple of pieces of coosa board in the holes in the tank. These will act as pillars for support to bridge the wide gap between the stringers on each side of the tank. I also foamed in all the compartments and have sealed the foam with a gallon of left over epoxy paint that I had. The next step is to glue in the floor. There was a little more spacing between the tank and stringer then I thought. Enough for foam to swell in front and behind the tank. I am going to also add 3M 5200 in between the tank and stringers just for added measure. I don't think the tank will ever move the way that it is, but will add the 5200 just in case.

gas tank foamed in.jpgfinished foam.jpggas tank foamed in.jpgfinished foam.jpg

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where is the hull leaking from PICs attached

How fast Were You Going When You Had Your prop Strikes?

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say I had some prop strikes at maybe half throtle. Looking back on everything I would say that the wood rot started long before I bought the boat. I bought the boat in June 2010 and my first post in Sept 2010 shows a transom that looks like mulch. I don't think there is anyway the rot could have set in that fast. I think I was basically sold a lemon. I should have done more research before buying the boat.

Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the top set into place. The boat has been completely gutted of wiring, windshield, stering...etc in prep for new paint. I am struggling with putting old interior back into the boat. I am thinking about making the interior side pannels out of fiberglass and painting them? The boat is going to look like a new boat with old interior if I simply put the old interior back into the boat....any thoughts?

Attachments

• top on no interior 2.jpg
    top on no interior 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • top on from bow.JPG
    top on from bow.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • top back on no interior.jpg
    top back on no interior.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • top on from side.JPG
    top on from side.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • interior set into boat.jpg
    interior set into boat.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your interior materials look to be in pretty nice condition in the couple pics I've seen. I wouldn't have any qualms about reinstalling them.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah....I think you are right. I had to redo the bottom interior pannels. They were carpet over wood and had factory cup holders in them. Someone along the way decided to make the cup holders bigger and enlarged them to the point where the wood was weak. They then screwed cedar fence post to the under side of it for strength with sheet rock screws.

I remade them today. I could not find a decent wood. I found exterior grade sheathing at home depot, but it was so incredibly warped that I could not use it. I then went to Lowes where they actually had a high grade marine Plywood at the toon of $70.00, but only in a thick size (3/4 or thicker). They had an exterior grade plywood that looked to be good quality for $25.00, but it was very wet. (not sure how long it would take to dry out).

I ended up using Luan. It has a really nice finish and very straight for approx $10.00 a sheet. I was told it uses exterior grade glue, and was told that the luan is in the same family of woods as Okuma? If I needed a thicker piece I could laminate two sheets together. I am glassing both side, so it should be plenty strong. With fiberglass skin on both sides, the luan will actually be more like a core material. So in reality the whole thing will be fiberglass composite. The core only has to be strong enough to hold the skins together. Once I glass them, they will be faired and painted with the rest of the boat.

Thanks for your input on the interior, I guess I have one person following my progress.

Attachments

• lower Interior pannel.jpg
    lower Interior pannel.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

They didn't have any Arauco ply at Lowe's? That stuff is NICE

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They had some really nice ply at lowes, but it was too thick for my application. I am not familiar with Arauco ply? What is Arauco. Their marine ply is $70.00 a sheet, but very straigt and very nice. Thinner piece they had was not "marine grade", but exterior grade. It was very wet, so I passed on it.