1994 Monterey 180 run about

Lt Padgett

Cadet
Hey all, well I'm back at it again, sold my 1989 bay liner, picked up a 94 Monterey 180 boat, nice boat,hull floors and transom felt good.
All I had to do is put my engine in and be ready to go.
Well , that was not it!!!
Strated cutting the transom to fit my Volvo Penta setup,
However water started running out the back of the boat, well I first thought it was,just water running out, but after about an hour, water was still coming out,
Started checking,, pulled the carpet up found, new plywood, but it was justed painted not glassed,
Cut the wood out, found the stringers gone rotted, and now just dust.
Foam was soaked, a 1 foot by 1 foot , held 1 gallon on was, and yes I got a bucket and checked,
So now it's back to the drawing board, man I did not want a project again, will post more pic as I go..

Lt Padgett

Cadet
Re: 1994 Monterey 180 run about

Well, had a few hours last night, cut the fuel tank out. Started sanding the glass down, checked the ski locker, man I am hopeing I can cut the center floor out crew in the ski locker, and install the stringers from here,
I have noted that the stringers are only glassed on one side, or in some places not even glassed at all, not sure , will get pic up tonight,

Bondo

Staff member

Cut the wood out, found the stringers gone rotted, and now just dust.
Foam was soaked,
a 1 foot by 1 foot , held 1 gallon on was, and yes I got a bucket and checked,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Personally,.... I just Hate when that happens,....

Good luck,... lookin' forward to yer adventure,.... ;) :)

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Sorry guys can't seen to get my iPad to up load the pics,
Anyway, to day I started cutting the motor mount out, looks like a pice of 4x4 wood, 2" of gel coat on top.
Had to stop due to rain,

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Hey guys
I know I said I would get some pic up, will try and get it done, wife and kids were sick,
Got back on the boat today, had to cut the transom out, man I did not want to have to do that,
Thinking about putting 2x 10 for the rear stringers, the Volvo Penta aq125b I'm installing, does not use motor mounts, still thinking, either way it's going to be a pain, the swim platform does not leave a lot of room for glassing, started laying the transom out 3, 3/4 sheet of plywood, turning each layer 1/2 turn. Anyway washed the boat out, man looks much better cleaned up. My 5 year old daughter, helped washed the deck down, after I per cleaned all the glass out, will log back in latter with some first pic,

Lt Padgett

Cadet

:)Hey guys
Got a little work on the boat done today, cut stringers, abd transom out. Will dry fit and maybe glue up tomorrow night.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

justed wanted to add a few pic's of the gas tank area.Picture 548.jpgPicture 547.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 458.jpg
    Picture 458.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 457.jpg
    Picture 457.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Lt Padgett

Cadet

hey guys got a little more work done on the boat today.
but, now the bad news,,, lost all my measurements for the stringers, transom, motor box, fuel tank, all gone
now what,, anyway here a some pic's so far.Picture 721.jpgPicture 717.jpgPicture 718.jpgPicture 719.jpgPicture 720.jpg

Lt Padgett

Cadet

sorry but some of the pic's are upside down..
not sure what happen.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Well, after searching for hours today, on google,
I called Monterey boat, talked with the tech department,
And was told my stringers need to be 1 1/2" thick, transom should
Be 2 to 2,1/4 thick,
Stringers only need to be glassed on one side not both.????
I asked why,,
Wet foam will dry, no need to worry. Hum hum hum,
Not tonsure about that,,
However i go back and recut stringers, with plywood to 1,1/2 thick
Wide is good I guess.
Any one got any advice,
However he could not tell me the height or how long the motor department
Needs to be,or the fuel tank department,
I think after measuring the motor department, I think it will be
25" x37" ... Fuel tank area is about 23 " x 49"
Looking for input.
Thanks for the help in advance

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully Woodonglass can pitch in here. he has a very simple outline of a surefire way to do stringers deck transom etc. Or you can get in touch with him i cant help much as i am pretty much in the same boat so to speak :p

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Hi all
Rain not much work on the boat today, but was thinking about the stringers,
Can anyone tell me why we need to put a 1/8 space under the stringers ???
After a visit to a local boat shop to day, I had to ask, and was told no do not leave a space under anything, you want a solid bond and fit to the floor,, best way to do it would be to lay a bead base down, set the stringer and let set,,
Can any one help me with this??

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Frisco Jarrett's Sea Ray restoration project videos covers this well involving the issue about stringers and not leaving a gap. I believe most of the gapping was done with PL construction adhesive.

Please watch them extensively, it covers a lot of things with its video which helps that explaining here in the forums does not.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The first link in my signature has the method I recommend for fabricatiing your Stringers, Decks, and Transom. Stringers don't have to be 1 1/2". they can be but don't have to be. Your previous pics appear to show 3/4" stringers. Foam will NOT dry out. It all has to be torn out and replaced. You don't leave a gab under the stringers. You bed the stringers in PB (thickened Resin) or PL construction adhesive. As stated Friscoboater has a great rebuild and youtube vids. You'll learn a lot.

Lt Padgett

Cadet

Well guys got back in town to day, was raining, just my luck,
Anyway to the transom cut, stringers cut, got a coat of glass on
Thinking about using 2 layers of 1708 to glue the transom in.i have not tried this befor,was hopping someone had tried this
And it worked,, let me know what ya think.
Will get pic,s up latter
Thanks