1993 Vanguard Barretta

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Vanguard is 17', bought originally in Manitoba at Rond's Marine. It is powered by a 1991 115 HP Merc outboard. I think that I am the 3rd owner of this boat. Anyone else out there with a Vanguard?

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Vanguard Barretta

I have a '96 Vanguard Barretta. I bought it used in Kamloops in 2002. First time out I blew the motor (70 hp Johnson) and replaced it with a 2002 Yamaha 75. It's been a good boat for fishing and taking the kids tubing. Only negative I can say is it's a bit small, lacking storage and can really only take 4 people comfortably.

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. Mine is a little cramped to take the tube and the kids with friends at the same time. I had a good test yesterday on Okanagan Lake when the lake had about 4 footers rolling up. I had one wave come right over the bow and soak us all!! Would have scared everyone had I not been laughing so hard! It did pretty well considering the size of waves and that the boat is not that big. Definately a good starter boat, but I may upsize a few feet for more room and a higher freeboard.

Where do you boat? Shuswap Lake? The river?

Cheers,

jetfuel

Recruit

I have a 1987 Vanguard Riviera, 18'3" cabin bow with an OMC 4.3 I/O. Purchased here in Oak Island, North Carolina. Hull and engine in pretty good shape. Y'all Canucks made a good boat! I have been working on refurbing the usual parts that are past their prime. Hardest thing to find is other owners...
Mike

Last edited:

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Jetfuel Mike,

Your boat sounds like it would be perfect for your area!
I was also pleasantly surprised at the quality of my boat. She was poorly taken care of and when I got her I did a stringer and sole replacement as well as a new interior. The transom and factory glassing was what made me notice the quality. Everything was glassed in well and I am sure would not have rotten had the previous owner not let it sit for years in the lake with a broken bilge pump!

Happy Boating!!

jetfuel

Recruit

Yar,

Well this is my first boat of my own, Many fond memories but not much of the technical know how from when I was young on the old mans boats... I am a tech minded person and this boat thus far has consumed some labor hours for sure. I found a bit of rought running along a floor support parrallel to the beam supporting the left side cockpit floor, Ill deal with that in the winter. Keep it dry (inside) and play and fish till then. She sleeps two and has a porta potti installed with pumpout. Seating is standard for 6, 4 back to back and 1 each side of the engine. I replaced the plugs, set the timing and got the old fuel out, ran some Sea Foam through every orrifice and working on cleaning up half #ssed electrical fixes from previous owners. I just got done doing the first round of compounding and buffing of the upper shell. Thank God for the service manual on the engine... But why on earth would the manufactuer wire and install a winshield wiper switch when its obvious no wipers are, or were, installed...

Do you have any pics online? This brand is very scarce online and I would love to see it. I will have to snap a pic from the cell phone to upload here, as the size limits are very minimal.

Mike

Antares2000

Cadet

I am the proud owner of a 1993 Vanguard Phantom with a 140 Johnson. Sweet boat, if a bit cramped inside. No issues with the boat, motor might be a little big for the hull but it holds it well. The hull handles the mid size chop, but the heavier swells are rough. Its very quick though, and turns on a dime. With a 20SS Raker prop it has no cavitation issues. Overall, Im very happy.

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Antares2000,

Glad to hear that you like your Vanguard! Sorry I missed your post in here, I guess I didn't have my settings right!:eek:

What is the length of your boat?

Where do you boat most?

Cheers,
Yar

Antares2000

Cadet

Hello there Yar. Mine is a 16.5' with a Johnson 140. We usually do our boating in the Shuswap region and the Okanagan Valley in BC. Beautiful areas.

Rob

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My favorite area to boat is Seymour Arm on the Shuswap. I have a bud with a place up there so it makes for a perfect spot to go.
We will have to keep in touch this summer and see if we are up there at the same time!!

Take care and have fun:D

Antares2000

Cadet

Always nice to meet a fellow Vanguard owner! We are in Sicamous the first week in August.

Rob

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Rob,

I have to go back out of town again in the beginning of August, but there is a good chance we will be on the lake during the first week.

I will PM you with details.

Cheers,
Yar.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I bought a Vanguard (?)

I think I bought a Vanguard (?)

Hello:

Purchased a bowrider this weekend and the previous owner called it a Vanguard. Clearly right there on the steering wheel, but don't see any other reference. Here is the boat's i.d.plate:

Anyone know what I have? Pic of boat here also. Is this a Canadian boat?

DSC03037.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC03043.jpg
[/IMG]

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi CharlieZulu,

Unfortunately your pictures are not coming up. Try to reload the links??

Cheers,
Yar.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, I messed with the Photobucket thingie -- here she be:

DSC03043.jpg

DSC03039.jpg

DSC03037.jpg

DSC03038.jpg

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi CharlieZulu,

I am sure that is a Vanguard! It has the right tag and the boats lines look a lot like mine.

DSC02295.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

As far as I know these boats were built in Winnipeg Manitoba. Mine was really neglected and I did a full restore on her in the spring of 2008. I am going to finally get a thread in the completed boat projects forum one of these days!!!

Enjoy your Vanguard!

Yar.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, Yar.

Is that a 115 I see on there?? That thing must really fly, eh? My placard says max 72kW which is 96 hp.

Used to summer every year in Kelowna/Westbank, now in Prince Edward County ON

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey CZ,

Why yes it is a 115, and yes it does have a lot of spunk!

DSC02273.jpg

Here is a shot of the old and new.

DSC00153.jpg

DSC02071.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

I sailed as a kid through Lake Ontario and had relatives and friends in Cobourg and Kingston. Beautiful area and just far enough away from the center of the universe....

Cheers,
Yar.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Old thread, but the Vanguard guys need some more action. This is my cousins '87 Vanguard Riviera, he's had it for over 15 years and it's been a great boat (4.3 OMCobra)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Riviera Club 017 (2).JPG
    Riviera Club 017 (2).JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 0

treetall100

Cadet
1989 Vanguard Phantom

1989 Vanguard Phantom

I have a 1989 Vanguard Phantom...used to have pink anccents with grey interior (very 1980`s). Re-did all the upholstery and next will be the floor and carpet.

I have a 1990 115hp mariner pushing her and it`s a great ski boat...yuky for wakeboarders (no wake) but the kids love tubing behind it...I put in a ski pole.

Great boat and love it...although there are a few cracks at the transom that worry me!

Patrick (Ottawa Ontario)