1991 V135 - Project Engine

Dukedog

Captain
Re: 1991 V135 - Project Engine

Just one ?. Why did ya put a left hand (CC) gearcase on it or is it just tha prop?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Just one ?. Why did ya put a left hand (CC) gearcase on it or is it just tha prop?

Just the prop for when I have it strapped down for tuning on the ramp. Has about the same effect as trimming a prop down. Got it for free.

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great post super job, what paint did you use ? I have just bought a boat with a 200hp black max that could do with a new coat of paint, the stuff you have used looks spot on.

rgds
bob

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Great post super job, what paint did you use ? I have just bought a boat with a 200hp black max that could do with a new coat of paint, the stuff you have used looks spot on.

rgds
bob

Thank you for the kind words. The midsection and lower unit were shot with Dupont Acrylic Lacquer. The engine was shot with the same paint. The paint color was a black base and I added a little midnight blue to tint to to match the Merc Phantom black. I bought the paint a few years ago and never used it so I'm not sure if it's still available or not.

The cowling is shot in a two part epoxy. I don't know who made it or anything more about it. My buddy shot it for me and matched it to Merc's Phantom black.

I think you could get away with using Merc's or Moeller's spray cans and do a decent job but you have to let it "Gas Off" for a couple of weeks or I've been told it will discolor.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Final status update - This project is complete now. I took the boat to the lake this afternoon and tuned it up on the ramp. I put the counter rotating prop on it and it didn't work. It didn't load the engine enough to tune it properly. I switched to a 14x19 Merc Silverado and that did the trick.

I drained the gas tank on the boat this morning and filled it back up with 52 ounces of Quicksilver Blend 2 Stroke oil and then 17 gals of gas. That should have given me close to a 40:1 mix which is where I think I wanted to be. It seems to have worked.

It took about 15 minutes of running for the smoke to start to clear up. The 20:1 Mix from the previous day did just like I think I wanted it to. It left a lot of oil behind.

Once the smoke cleared I rechecked the timing and adjusted the in gear idle to 750 rpm off the tach in my timing light. That's a little fast but o.k. for break-in I think. I then ran it up to 3000 rpm and checked max advance. It was at 19 which is also fine for break in.

I then launched it and took it for a spin. I ran it at 1800 rpm for 15 minutes then took it up to 2500 for 5 minutes. I repeated that for close to two hours. Man was I getting anxious to just stuff it.

If your wondering why 1800 rpm, it's because that just happened to be a sweet spot I found where everything sounded really good. I think the poppet valve opened around then too because water pressure dropped a little and engine temp came up to 145. That's as hot as it ever got all day.

At 4:00 pm, just as the sun was hiding itself behind the mountains, the breeze died off and the lake turned to glass. Hammer Time!!!!!! I took it right up to 5000 rpm and she sounded soooooo sweet.. I think I saw 44 on the GPS and still had throttle left but I regained control of myself and slid it back down to 3000 and cruised it back home.

It's a little early to tell for sure but she feels like she'd be better fitted with a 17 or a 19 with a little less cup than the Silverado. I haven't found the right height and trim combo yet but with the hydraulic jack plate it's just a matter of playing with it. The 19 might be the right prop when it's all set up. We'll see.. This is a 25" shaft on a boat designed for a 20. The jack plate has a 5" offset and up to 7" of lift. The engine set so with the jack plate all the way down the cav plate on the engine is just 1" below the bottom of the boat. I ran it 3 inches above the bottom (4" lift) today and I powered it through tight turns without any venting at all. I could probably go another inch up without any problem but I think I'd need to change to a prop that's designed to work near the surface for it to make a real difference in performance. A guy could go broke buying props.

So.... here's my new dilema... It's only flippin Nov 1st and my winter project is done. Currraaap, what now!:eek:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The engine is now finished. It has WMH-31 carbs (150 hp) and that's the only difference between a 135 and 150 so the engine is now a 150. It also has a 1998 150 Optimax DFI XL Upper and lower cowling now. The cowling is a direct bolt on but I dumped the stock hood latches and opted for Southco over the center rubber pull latches instead. You can get these fast through Pegaus Racing for around 6.00 each. I used the medium size which barely fit. Next time I'd go for the large.

The cowling was shot with several coats of squirt bomb black Acrylic Lacquer, sanded with 800 wet or dry paper, then rubbed out and polished with 3M products and a power buffer. I love lacquer because of the great depth without that phony gloss. It's gloss is far superior in richness to any 2 part epoxy. The draw back is the prep work but it's worth it to me and will last forever it properly cared for.

The decals came from a company in Canada and were half the price of the Merc's which are NLA anyway. I chose blue rather than red because I like blue better than red.

The DFI cowling gets air from the back and has a channel that sends it to the airbox. This channel was cut out with a cutting wheel and the vents from the 91 cowling were cut in to provide more air flow.

I'm waiting for the cowling rigging kit still but that's just a minor detail..

So you might ask, is it done yet?... Humm.. been thinkin about changing over to EFI... I'll let you know. I'm still hunting for a trashed donor 2.5L that's priced right.

Finished.jpg

-Jim-

Seaman Apprentice

Sschefer,

After reading this thread I just had to join this forum and thank you for your efforts. I learned a lot and enjoyed the whole thing (well except the loss of the last half dozen photos deleted by Photobucket :confused:).

I recently bought (last week - I get delivery next Thursday) a 1991 Larson All American 170 Bowrider Outboard (with a 1992 Mercury 100 HP Engine with ~ 550 Hours on it - 99% in Fresh water). I got it from my Brother who's babied it since new. Even so, sooner or later I expect a rebuild may be in my future. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the great thread!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Your welcome. Take a look at my other project the FrankenMerc. More info in that one.