1991 Bayliner 2052 120 Force L-Drive Restore

B3nny422

Cadet
Hello,
I bought this boat for a $1000.00 from a friend. I purchased s Clymer boat manuel for it. From what I have read this I/O has a a B rating along with the L-Drive, but parts are cheap and the engine is easy to work on. I plan on doing everything on the restore. I replaced the impeller, it was shot, changed the gear oil, the old oil looked good no water or metal. charged the batteries, brushed up the electrical on the starter ect.
The neutral button was not working and shifter was hard to push on the remote. There was a small piece of metal broken on the inside the shifter housing that i removed and the wiring was not in the handle right, and easy fix.
I got the engine to start with the old plugs and seems to run fine in the driveway. I will post a video of that, I think it sounds ok.
I proceeded to rip out the old soft deck. The stringers and transome are good. I will replace the deck with marine plywood cover with fiberglass and west systems epoxy.
I am not sure if i want the box seats back in. I would rather put pedestal seats in to open up the deck.
I ripped out a lot of foam and plywood.
Do I need to put all that foam back in the boat? What about the foam around the engine box? Some the foam was water logged. I would rather not put new foam back in.
I would like your opinion. Also not sure how much time and money to put in this because of the reputation of the l-drive.
Any deck layouts would be plus if anyone has pics.
Thanks

Last edited:

B3nny422

Cadet
Re: 1991 Bayliner 2052 120 Force L-Drive Restore

Was told the boat was taken out about 20 times so i pretty sure it has low hours. My friends uncle bought the boat new so i am the third owner. I still consider him a friend because i dont think he new the reputation of the boat :)

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I would like your opinion. Also not sure how much time and money to put in this because of the reputation of the l-drive.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Unfortunately,... I'm thinkin' you've already put way to much money, 'n time into it,...

Replacement parts for the L-drive, just don't exist,...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I agree. Run far far away. Fast as you can.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I agree. Run far far away. Fast as you can.
Can't disarm a bomb once it's already gone off............

Post some pix of what you're working w/ and let us know how & where:
parts are cheap and the engine is easy to work on. I plan on doing everything on the restore.

If it runs, I guess you could run it til it doesn't, then consider replacing it.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

If it runs, I guess you could run it til it doesn't
Shouldn't take long ... If there ever was a "bastard" propulsion system the L drive is it. I repeat: Run!

jbcurt00

Staff member

He already owns it.

And apparently it's running and he said he has easy access to low cost parts.

I don't think
is particularly helpful at this point.

I agree it's an outdated, obsolete outdrive w/ a less then ideal rep. It is what it is......

I figure it'd be more helpful to go from where he's at currently rather then moving backwards again.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to have offended you jb. But the fact remains that outdrive was & is junk. Pity the foo who owns one. I have serious doubts that if anything really important broke he'd have 'easy access' to replacement parts.

Honestly wish I could offer the OP advice, but nobody I know'll touch one'a those contraptions.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Didn't offend me, not my thread.

B3nny422

Cadet

Thanks for your advice on this Boat. Seems I purchased the biggest piece of **** ever. I will not be rushed again when buying a boat and will do lots of research. Well I know a lot more than when I started, guess Ill chalk it up to a $1000 education. I have enjoyed learning more about boats and the work done, even the nasty deck tear out.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks for your advice on this Boat. Seems I purchased the biggest piece of **** ever. I will not be rushed again when buying a boat and will do lots of research. Well I know a lot more than when I started, guess Ill chalk it up to a $1000 education. I have enjoyed learning more about boats and the work done, even the nasty deck tear out.
So that it's clear, I don't have that opinion about the boat or your purchase of it.

There's value in learning about how a boat is put together, as you tear one apart. It also helps point you to how & where a boat becomes waterlogged & damaged by neglect & exposure to the elements so that you can better determine a boat's condition before you buy it.

Because you own it, it is up to you how you'd like to proceed. Does the motor & outdrive run as it should, and do you have access to the parts & pieces necessary to maintain it?
I purchased s Clymer boat manuel for it. From what I have read this I/O has a a B rating along with the L-Drive, but parts are cheap and the engine is easy to work on.
I got the engine to start with the old plugs and seems to run fine in the driveway. I will post a video of that, I think it sounds ok.
If so, great.

If not, then that's a different conversation to be had about possibly repowering your boat.

Bayliners may not have the best reputation as many are found in similar condition. IMHO, it is a huge misconception based on evidence of bad OWNERS neglecting low cost, entry level boats, NOT strictly bad quality, workmanship or quality controls. Could they have been built better? Sure. But that might have priced them out of the entry level or move up market. They aren't built drastically different then many 1950's & 60's boats, which also suffer from neglect & exposure, but they all could be in substantially better condition today, if they'd had better maintenance & diligent care during storage. And they all are rebuildable, some just take longer then others.

If you decide that you'd like to pursue the rebuild of this particular Bayliner, w/ or w/out the L-Drive, there will be plenty of helpful advice along the way.

Good luck w/ your project, and sorry your
Welcome to iboats
wasn't a friendlier encounter.

If you decide to move on to a different project or a different drive, post the running driveline for sale in as many places as you can. Somebody else may need the parts & pieces for their own L-Drive project.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Pictures???

We like pictures,..................

B3nny422

Cadet

Working on pictures.
Has anybody out there owned a 91 with an L-Drive? I would like your opinion. What kind of problems did you have?
What parts break on these? And what parts are so hard to replace? I see Force and L drive parts
on ebay.The gear case has Merc parts,
and the ignition is Merc Thunderbolt.
From what I understand,This boat appealed to entry first time boat owners who didn't maintain them
properly.
To me they seem easy to work on.
Easier than figuring out why my pictures won't download.

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

You could alwsys just throw it back together and run it till it breaks. Maybe you can get some fun out of it.:)

B3nny422

Cadet

From what I've read Its impossible to rebuild the transom for and outboard, or I/O with a different out drive, or inboard.
If I could rebuild the transom for a outboard I would do it.
This leaves me with two options. Put it back together and run til it breaks or parts it out.

I got info from a guy who owned a dealership in Texas from 83-90. Stated that he was in the business for 30yrs and L-Drive was around for 3yrs. They were able to keep their customers happy but used more of the shops recourse than other models. Issues were the water pumps Brunswick
put in would flood the engines, the exhaust tube would come off, and there was excessive noise and vibration in the steering thatwas never solved.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Can't you put a outboard bracket on it?????

Bondo

Staff member

From what I've read Its impossible to rebuild the transom for and outboard, or I/O with a different out drive, or inboard.
If I could rebuild the transom for a outboard I would do it.
This leaves me with two options. Put it back together and run til it breaks or parts it out.

I got info from a guy who owned a dealership in Texas from 83-90. Stated that he was in the business for 30yrs and L-Drive was around for 3yrs. They were able to keep their customers happy but used more of the shops recourse than other models. Issues were the water pumps Brunswick
put in would flood the engines, the exhaust tube would come off, and there was excessive noise and vibration in the steering thatwas never solved.

Ayuh,.... 3 options,.... Put it together, Runnin',.... 'n Sell It,....

B3nny422

Cadet

The L-Drive lower assembly goes though the bottom of the transom, which is a above the bottom of the boat.
Looks to me that the bottom 2'x2' section of the boat where the L-Drive comes through would need to be built in to hang
anything off the back. Then I would be messing with hull design.
But if you have seed an L-Drive that has been rebuilt or changed to mount an outboard I would like to see it.

B3nny422

Cadet

If I put it together it is going to take marine plywood and epoxy and cloth which would be spendy
on a boat that is not suppose to have resale value.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If I put it together it is going to take marine plywood and epoxy and cloth which would be spendy
on a boat that is not suppose to have resale value.
Not exactly, exterior plywood & polyester resin w/ cloth, yes

But yes, little resale value

I think Bondo was referring to the driveline, not necessarily the boat as a whole, like I mentioned earlier:
If you decide to move on to a different project or a different drive, post the running driveline for sale in as many places as you can. Somebody else may need the parts & pieces for their own L-Drive project.