Joined the club

Scottimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading numerous posts about forgetting to put the plug in I thought I would be able to be smart enough to learn from others mistakes. Boy was I wrong...And only on my 3rd time out with the boat!!!

It started off pleasant, me and my brother-in-law heading out for some fishing. Stopped by a bait shop on the way to the lake to get some minnows, bait shop is closed, says it is for a funeral, can't be too mad ;). So all we have for bait is some nightcrawlers. Head to the lake, as we are pulling into the ramp area, a truck is pulling out. We look at the truck and low and behold, it has the bait shop name all over it. Seems like he wanted to go fishing instead! We launch the boat, and I jump in and proceed to try and start the motor. Not catching...I curse at the battery (was just fully charged!) So I head to the back to switch batteries and as I open the cover I see LOTS of water! I had forgotten the plug! So, I get the bilge pump going, put the plug in, and wait for it to go down a bit before switching batteries. As I am getting ready I slap my forehead in a 'DOH' moment. Of course it won't start, the power switch is off!!! So, I jumped back up front and flipped the switch and the engine starts up.

We caught some fish and had a good time, so it ended good, but boy, what a beginning!!!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Joined the club

Scott,
Develop a pre-launch check list, one item is PUTTING THE GARBOARD DRAIN PLUG IN, adhere to it until it is part of your cranial matter. Then this won't happen again...

Nickledimed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when I remove the key I clip the plug to it, so I cant start the boat without the key and the plug is there to remind me to put it in.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I learned my lesson two weeks ago. I don't take mine out any more.
When I take the boat out of the water I look and see if there is any
in the back. If there is I drain it and put the plug right back in.

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I learned my lesson two weeks ago. I don't take mine out any more.
When I take the boat out of the water I look and see if there is any
in the back. If there is I drain it and put the plug right back in.

You'll still need to check it...probably every trip or so. Those things have been known to vibrate loose over time and fall out while you are going down the road. Even the "screw-in" ones can do this.

The first time you DON'T check the plug is the time you'll put the boat in the water without it. Even if you leave it in all of the time you still need to remember to check it.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't worry, you now belong to a real cool club!!! ;)

Scottimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I have been wanting to make a nice laminated checklist, now I will make sure it gets done BEFORE I go out again!

I usually check it WHEN I am undoing the straps, just was in a hurry this time. I am having a good laugh about the whole ordeal...

A few good suggestions there, thanks!

Does the club have jackets??? :)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I have been wanting to make a nice laminated checklist, now I will make sure it gets done BEFORE I go out again!

I usually check it WHEN I am undoing the straps, just was in a hurry this time. I am having a good laugh about the whole ordeal...

A few good suggestions there, thanks!

Does the club have jackets??? :)

Specially ordered, if you REALLY want one...