1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

It's been a while so I thought I'd post some progress.

I finished up the stringer glass work, ran pvc chase tubes for my fuel lines and venting.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

I sealed some 1"x2"s and epoxied them to the stringers and frames to increase the bonding surface for the floor. I also cut limber holes for drainage and sealed the cut areas.

IMG_1475.jpg

Right or wrong, I decided to use soaker hose to act as a wick for draining any water that may get under the foam. The hose drains to the bilge and feeds into threaded pvc caps that I can open during the winter.

Drain_Cutaway.jpg

Drain_Iso.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut and sealed my forward section of the floor. The top surface is covered with 6 oz. cloth.

IMG_1471.jpg

I fitted my seat pedestal mounts illustrated earlier.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

The pedestals will sit on 2 layers of 1708.

IMG_1533.jpg

The ss allen head screws thread into the 3/8" aluminum plate under the floor. The plate and plywood backer with help counter the load.

IMG_1526.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

It got really hot early this summer, so I had rush to get the floor down. It was in the 90s by 10 am. I found that mixing epoxy in 90 degree temps didn't leave much time to apply. Especially when adding fillers. So I bought some West Six10 in caulking tubes to glue the floor to the stringers. It let me spread the thick epoxy quick enough to set the floor down before it set up.

I also poured 4 gallons (16 cu ft.) of foam.

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

The electric caulk gun is crap. I switched to a manual.

IMG_1559.jpg

More foam and the second section of floor down. The voids in the foam were filled, but I didn't get a picture.

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the transom plate off, cleaned it up, primed and painted the parts and installed all new bellows, clamps, hose, senders and stuff. It's setting on the bench right now waiting for me to attach the bell housing and bellow to the transom plate. More pictures will follow.

IMG_1664.jpg

I also rigged the gimbal ring in hopes that it will remove the slop from my steering. It involved painting 5 layers of JB weld and filling down each layer smooth then torquing down on the shaft for 24 hours. It probably won't last, but I thought I'd give it a try before spending $500 on a new ring. Has anyone else tried this?

IMG_1676.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's far from perfect, but it's much better than it was and I'll feel safer with the new bellows. All Mercruiser parts except for the GLM sift shaft seal.

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

I still have a lot to do, clean and paint the engine, install 2 more floor sections in the stern area, glass the edges to the hull, grind and paint the bilge, new bilge pump, in-hull depth sounder, new wiring harness, replace the windshield seal, then start on the interior. It's supposed to cool off some next week with highs in the upper 80s so that will help.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Great looking boat. Excellent attention to detail. Nice progress. You'll have one solid sled when you are done. Like you I am ready for it to cool off a little around here. I hate that the boating season is coming to an end but I'm ready to do some work to my project without sweating my ***** off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Extremely nice work! Looks really solid.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ and thanks Mohican. It's good to met another DFW boat builder on this site. I hope this heat breaks soon. The power bill is a second mortgage.