1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Glastron Futura 227 SL Rebuild

clock that gig was a great idea and as the guys said your work is excellant. And I can't believe that boat is that old it looks great except the under deck of coarse.(sorry about the spelling)

I can't take credit for that jig. I copied the idea from someone else's restore. It did help with measuring and fitting the stringers and frames.

This boat is old and covered in whiskey dents. The closed bow is impractical and it doesn't ski well at wake board speeds. It has no head and it's tough to throw/pull anchor. But it's unique and it handles like a racer. The lines are similar to the Hammond Challenger which are rare and collectible and considered a%$ hauling machines. Here's the Hammond:http://www.classicglastron.com/82hm-2150.html

I know it's not a Hammond, but it has a similar look.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That work looks amazing. Considering what I did to my stringers and that the design is so much older AND how sturdy it is you will be far better than OK.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

That work looks amazing. Considering what I did to my stringers and that the design is so much older AND how sturdy it is you will be far better than OK.

Thanks. I'm trying to make it bulletproof without adding too much weight.

Did you have a chance to work on your swim platform?

system-f

Check my post, swim platform is done for the most part. It isn't pretty, but works.

Friscoboater

Captain

The gimbal ring I do not have. I sold that for $300.00.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've followed your advice about cleaning up the glassing areas to make it a smooth as possible. Thanks again.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's amazing to me how I can spend 20+ hours laying what seems like miles of fillets and glass tape only to stand back say, "That doesn't look I did much."

I'm trying to figure out a way to make bullet proof seat pedestal mounts. I ordered 2 12"x12"x3/8' aluminum plates this morning. I'm planning to use the plate along with an extra piece of ply as backer support for the pedestals. Something like this:

Seat1-1.gif

Seat2-1.gif

The holes in the wood will be over drilled and filled with thick epoxy. Stainless hardware. The wood will be epoxied together and possibly covered in 17 oz biax. 1708 epoxied on the surface below the pedestal.

What do you think? Pro's and con's.

Also, what's the best way to bond aluminum to wood?

system-f

That looks to be overkill. I really don't think you will need the aluminum and it will be much harder to bond to wood than wood is to bond to wood. If you got rid of the aluminum plate there would be no problems glassing that to the deck.

I just used a 3/4" sheet of plywood, screwed it to the deck, seal the screw holes with resin, and then did 2 sheets of 1708 with the larger sheet being on top. I have the bolts configured the same way you do but they are counter sunk in the 3/4" ply. I haven't heard even a creak from my mount and one of the pilots is 220 6' 4" with the seat off center due to the adjustment plate. If anything the adjustable base provides more play than the attachment point ever will.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks to be overkill. I really don't think you will need the aluminum and it will be much harder to bond to wood than wood is to bond to wood. If you got rid of the aluminum plate there would be no problems glassing that to the deck.

I just used a 3/4" sheet of plywood, screwed it to the deck, seal the screw holes with resin, and then did 2 sheets of 1708 with the larger sheet being on top. I have the bolts configured the same way you do but they are counter sunk in the 3/4" ply. I haven't heard even a creak from my mount and one of the pilots is 220 6' 4" with the seat off center due to the adjustment plate. If anything the adjustable base provides more play than the attachment point ever will.

Thanks for the reply. You seem to have a knack for structure stuff.

Overkill is what I want. Big game fish fighting chair solid. I was going to use a single backing ply, 1708 and T-Nuts. Then I ran it past a few other engineers here at work. We figured the ideal design would be plates above and below deck with bolts around their perimeter. But I want it to sit flush on the floor. I nixed the idea of studs from the bottom. Potential toe sharks. I already bought the aluminum plates and they weren't cheap. So I'm going to try to use them. I figured the aluminum wouldn't bond well, so I'm going to try to drill/tap the plate and run flat head Allen bolts from the top and add a big bolt and washer in the center. I'll ruff up the mating side of the plate and try to epoxy them on too.

Here's what I have so far:

The pedestals are too tall, but I can cut them down with a band saw.

IMG_1337.jpg

This is the layup (read only one plate though).

IMG_1351.jpg

Seat3.gif

The sliders under my seats are old and cheap with lots of slop. I'll replace them sometime down the road. The reason I'm thinking about this now is because I have to notch 2 stringer tops for it fit and I have to do that before I can cap the stringers this weekend. I'm ready to get the sole down and move on to the fun stuff. This glass work is killing my back.

IMG_1340.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a little more done last weekend. I installed the last stringer (center) and notched the secondary stringers for my seat bases. Using the last of my 3/8" marine ply I cut and epoxied 2 pieces together to create a tunnel under the center stringer.

I covered the bottom face of the tunnel with 1708:

IMG_1364.jpg

Strong stuff and it lays down nice on a flat surface:

IMG_1368.jpg

I sanded off the sharp edges:

IMG_1369.jpg

I layed down 1 layer of 1708 in the hull to help support the new board and center stringer:

IMG_1370.jpg

I used a thick layer of epoxy and wood flour to bond the new tunnel and center stringer to the hull:

IMG_1386.jpg

There's a few air pockets and some rinkles, but it's down. I ran out of 12 oz tape so I used 17 oz biax instead:

IMG_1377.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Notches for my seat bases. It looks uneven in the photo, but there is a butt splice and a backer board right where I had to cut:

IMG_1372.jpg

The boss says stop working on the boat, go clean the pool and take me swimming:

IMG_1255.jpg

So far I've gone thru 100 yards of 6"-12 oz tape and I'm on my second 5 gallon jug of West Systems liquid gold. I've used about 4 gallons of wood flour. It was 90-95 degrees in the garage yesterday. Too darn hot!

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Question - My stringers are tabbed down with 3 layers of 6"-12 oz biax. I'm planning to cap them with 2 layers of 17 oz extending each side to the hull 6 inches then 4 inches.

Does this sound like enough? Too much?

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like plenty, I've done 2layers of 1708 and am calling it good. I think oop's once said one layer of 1708 is plenty, and that seems to jive with what I ground out.

Should be super solid the way you are planning.
Terry

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like plenty, I've done 2layers of 1708 and am calling it good. I think oop's once said one layer of 1708 is plenty, and that seems to jive with what I ground out.

Should be super solid the way you are planning.
Terry

Wow, 2 layers of 1708 will be rock solid.

I hope my 2 layers of 17 oz is enough. This is a 60 mph boat, 2'+ chop with fat sack tow boat and cruiser wakes and I'm none too gental on the throttle.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Need an education here. Fillets are what? Wood flour mixed with epoxy and used as glue for the stringers to hull? Are stringers set off of hull to prevent hull cracking? My boat could be next.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Need an education here. Fillets are what? Wood flour mixed with epoxy and used as glue for the stringers to hull? Are stringers set off of hull to prevent hull cracking? My boat could be next.

Yep. Wood flour mixed with epoxy to the consistancy of peanut butter so the it doesn't run. Spread it on the bottom of the stringer fairly thick and mash into place on the hull. I used the same stuff to form a fillet at the base to help spread the load against the hull and help the fiberglass lay down with smooth transition. Some folks on here use PL construction adhesive for the bond. Clean up any excess before it dries. At least that's what happens in utopia.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Progress report so to speak. I got to spend about 7 hours on the boat over the holiday. I got the forward parts of the 4 stringers capped with 2 layers of 17 oz. biax. With the temps 95-100+ my epoxy is kicking off a little too fast even with slow hardener. I have to mix smaller batches which makes the whole process slower. I'll probably have to start working early morning to finish this up. I should have drilled those fuel tube holes after laying glass on the wood. Live and learn.

IMG_1399.jpg

Tools of the trade. I made a simple stand to hold my glass. The sonicrafter makes for a good sander to clean up the sharp stuff and surface boogers. I'm on my second 5 gallon jug of epoxy and hardener. West Marine loves me. I hope I have enough to finish.

IMG_1404.jpg

Brother Bob, the president of the Lake Grapevine Redneck Yauht Club, was kind enough to take me out Saturday on his brand spanking new 2010 Four Winns 210 SS. It has a 300 hp Volvo and is loaded out down to the 4-wheel disk brakes on the trailer. With only 8 hours on the motor, a 19 pitch prop, full tank and the 2 of us it hit 63 mph in a few seconds. Thanks again Bob.

IMG_1398.jpg

If anyone out there has an air conditioned work shop space for rent in the DFW area, I would certainly be interested in talking to you.

shikard

Seaman Apprentice

Great job so far...I was complaining about using 2 1/2 gallons of west systems and you are on your second 5 gallon jug!!! you've really done a nice job keeping everything where it belongs, I love your jig.

Keep up the good work!

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job so far...I was complaining about using 2 1/2 gallons of west systems and you are on your second 5 gallon jug!!! you've really done a nice job keeping everything where it belongs, I love your jig.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks shikard. It's no where near as clean as your MC though. You put your glass down nice and flat. Respect.

The West System stuff is high, but it only hurts once. I couldn't use poly. The wife is super sensitive to chemical smells and I'm doing this in the attached garage. A little extra money to keep the peace is a good thing.