1990 Bayliner Capri 1700 Floor replacment. Need all the help I can get.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK guys, I jumped in knee deep today. I will start from the top.

You might remember my post about the soft spot on the floor. I pulled the carpet out completely and the whole floor was soaking wet. I started by cutting a 6"x6" hole in the middle around where the bad spot was. what i found was about 3" of water that never drain out of the boat. I tilted the boat way up and got it to drain. I proceeded to cut farther and farther back toward the stern it was all bad. My stringers look OK from in side the holes but I haven't takes the whole floor out yet. I have a few questions before I keep going, so here I go.

What is the best way to cut the fiberglass around all the seams where it was put together. for example the seat boxes and where the floor meets the hull.

is it possible that the stringers are OK under the fiberglass or should I replace them anyway?

and last but not least, do I have to pull the cap to replace the transom if I find that it needs to be done.

The more I get into it I'm not sure it is worth it.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

Jeremy.

chewch88

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1990 Bayliner Capri 1700 Floor replacment. Need all the help I can get.

chewch88

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im trying to get pics on here and cant figure it out. Help please.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

I have a few questions before I keep going, so here I go.
What is the best way to cut the fiberglass around all the seams where it was put together. for example the seat boxes and where the floor meets the hull.
is it possible that the stringers are OK under the fiberglass or should I replace them anyway?
and last but not least, do I have to pull the cap to replace the transom if I find that it needs to be done.
The more I get into it I'm not sure it is worth it. Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.
Jeremy.
I used 4.5 angel grinder with a cutting weel on it. Carefully trace the seams as parallel to the hull as you can. It was the fastest job I got done on my boat.
The stringers could be fine. When you done removing the deck, you will have easy access to them and you can get some core samples and know for sure.
Post some pictures of the transom so the experts here can tell you if it necessary to remove the cap.
Good luck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
My signature has a link on how to post your pics. A regular Circular saw set to a depth equal to the thickness of your deck should do the trick of cutting it out. Don't worry about leaving a lip aroung the outer edge. You can take care of that later. Hard to say about your stringers. We can check those later. Do you have floatation foam?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Reply to Thread -> Go Advanced -> Click the icon I highlighted in this pic -> Select Files -> Upload Files
Capture1.jpg

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

chewch88

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

album

Sorry guys Im just trying to figure out the pictures! URG!!!!!

rickryder

Commander

I use image shack for my pics..... It gives you the forum code when you upload a pic...

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

007.jpg008.jpg010.jpgboat2.jpgboat.jpg

I think I got it. Here are some pics.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

And some more.

004.jpg001.jpg

Ok here are the pics now drill me with suggestions.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now that you can get to the stringers and transom, you should drill into them about 3/4" deep with a 1/4" drill bit and check your shavings. If they are light tan and dry then you're good to go. Fill em up with 3M 5200 sealant and Re-Deck her. If they are dark brown and wet then you will be doing a complete restore.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plan is to remove the rest of the deck this weekend and go from there. still have to tackle removing the bow seats and seat boxs for the jump seats before I can get the rest of the floor out.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any suggestions on what type of grinder wheel or cutting wheel to put on my grinder to cut thru the old fiberglass? Im all amped up and want to keep going!!!!!! I need to get the seat boxes and front seating area out to get therest of the floor out. also do I have any chance of saveing the bow seating area to reuse it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IF, BIG IF, it's NOT soft then MAYBE. You might be able to "Sister" into the stringer system but we won't know that until we get below deck to see what all is going on. A Sawzall will make short work of removing those sea boxes and then the circular saw will remove your deck. BE CAREFUL with the Sawzall and be aware of where the blade will be cutting. We don't want any slices in the hull. they CAN be repaired but we don't want to if we don't have to. Make sure to set the circular say to just SHY of the depth of your decking plywood.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again, im sure I will be back soon with more questions. I hope to cut most of it out today if the wife permits. :p

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey make it a FAMILY project. Get her a Tyvek suit and some goggles and get her started. Who knows, she might really like it!!!:p

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey this is what i used for my bayliner. it works incredible! i know it seems too cheap, but it really is the way to go. the only problem is the blades are a little expensive.
i used a skilsaw where i could, then used the multifunction tool nest to the hull of the boat. i tried the grinder but it kicked up too much dust.
give it a try.
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68303.html
dino

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Dino, I had thought about using one of those. I have access to to dremel tool but wasnt sure if it would have the power to go through the glass. I will give it a shot.

Thanks again
Jeremy

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK guys here it is. I think im going to throw in the towel :(. The more I get into it the worse it gets and I just dont think the boat is worth it. The transom looks ok havent drilled into it yet but doesnt show any signs of weakness, BUT the stringers are gone the run under the bow seating which is filled with FOAM. The stearn has boxes in it that are filled with foam. So the top cap would have to come off and im not sure the boat is worth all that. Give me you honest opinions, 1990 Bayliber Capri 1700 17'5" with a Force 50hp outboard. Passenger limit is 4 and she only got up to about 23 MPH. If this was you would you fix it or part it out and find something else. Im sure Iw ouldnt have trouble selling the motor and trailer and giving the hull away. Give me your thought please. :(:(:(

Thank you very much.
Jeremy