1989 invader 18' VS 1991 3L merc

Darren b

Seaman
Hey guys A 1989 Invader 18' boat poped up in my area, with no motor or outdrive with it, my question is I am in the starting stages or replacing my stringers, transom and deck on my 91 bayliner, witch over all the bayliner is is poor shape, the guy who has the Invader told me it was a merc motor that cam out of the Invader, the invader looks like it is in good clean condition, I am thinking of putting my 3L merc out of my bayliner into the Invader, what should I look for to make sure that the 3L merc will mount into the invader, besides motor mount placement and outdrive cutout? thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 invader 18' VS 1991 3L merc

Hey guys A 1989 Invader 18' boat poped up in my area, with no motor or outdrive with it, my question is I am in the starting stages or replacing my stringers, transom and deck on my 91 bayliner, witch over all the bayliner is is poor shape, the guy who has the Invader told me it was a merc motor that cam out of the Invader, the invader looks like it is in good clean condition, I am thinking of putting my 3L merc out of my bayliner into the Invader, what should I look for to make sure that the 3L merc will mount into the invader, besides motor mount placement and outdrive cutout? thanks

Ayuh,.... If a Merc came out,... A Merc will bolt back in with little to no alterations....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

however....you will still need to see if the hull is sound.....why swap for another rotted boat?

if the hull is sound....and you like the boat......go for it !

Darren b

Seaman

bond o it was not really the bolt up I was concerned about, it was more of the linkage, cables and wiring. I ended up buying the Invader, I will get some pics up soon. thanks guys

Darren b

Seaman

Here is a pic of the invader, I am going to replace the transom to be safe, but as far as the deck, It inspected it real good and it seems to be real solid, and the boat has been looked after, it also comes with the complete top. I still have plans for the Bayliner as a winter project, but for $800.00 for the invader and a good trailer with 2 new tires and rims, I could not pass on it.

DSC00775.jpg
DSC00778.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

bond o it was not really the bolt up I was concerned about, it was more of the linkage, cables and wiring. I ended up buying the Invader, I will get some pics up soon. thanks guys

Ayuh,..... It still should fall right into place,....

Short of whatever is Missin',... Most of the stuff from the bayliner can be made to work....

Darren b

Seaman

Hey guys I have a few questions about my Invader, the first is the guy who had the boat put oudoor carpet on the hull floor inside the ski locker, was this origanal, or was this added after for some reason? should I leave it or remove the carpet. also the boat is an 1989 Invader Elan V 171,when I look with a light and feel up in the underside of the bow deck, the bottom side of the deck has been coated with resin, was this origanal in 1989 for the Invader, or is it possible that my deck has been replaced already? the reason why I am asking is I have a 1991 Bayliner 19' classic and the underside of the deck was not coated in resin. thanks guys