1989 Doral Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Doral Cavalier

Hey Kev, not yet, I've got to remove all the old decals/stripes then give the hull a good clean n polish first. Mostly likely heading up to the PPYC and check on my baby tomorrow or Sunday, see what the weathers like. Haven't been up there since January. Have you done anything new for your yacht lately?

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JBF,

I have ordered the Buff Magic, Pro-Polish and Polisher. I plan on ordering the badges this week. I also changed my mind on the name of the boat....now called "Knot Sane". I have washed all the cushion covers and have been replacing the foam. Currently looking for a new VHF radio...but dont want to spend too much...already have recieved the stripe off wheel....found a new table top of the cabin.... lots more... about 2 months away from getting the beast out of storage.! Cant wait!

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

klab010,

My first winter job this year is to polish the decks, I get the topsides done by the slipway when doing antifoul.
Would love to hear your thoughts on the Buff Magic polish. I have been considering the old style wax polishes rather than the cream types.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

001.jpg006.jpg
Was up at the PPYC checkin on my baby yesterday, removed a bunch of the teak and brought it home to refinish as well as the seat cushion on the port side up top. Has a bit of cracking in the white vinyl stripe. Also installed some LED's above the galley that I got for my b-day back in November (see pic) All in all a fun day :D

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

JBF 1962,

That looks like real wood! The new ones like mine use a micron of timber veneer over what ever rubbish timber they can find. I do miss my old boat with its timber fittings, I re-varnished every Spring with 6 coats, great sense of satisfaction when others commented on the condition of the boat and its shining woodwork.
I was told by an expert to sand between coats with a scourer rather than paper, it worked very well, finish like a coat of glass.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a good tip! Yeah, the ol '89 has an abundance of teak which is one of the things I really like about the older boats. A little refreshing and it'll look awesome. There'll be some pics posted when the job is done :D

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

BSA, what are you using for a bottom paint? Sure, I will let you know about the Buff Magic...you can check out youtube and search "Buff Magic" or copy and paste the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYiZwc6B2k

G'Day klab010,
Most larger boats in Aust are saltwater creatures, from what I see on the forum most of you play in freshwater. I use International Ultra Antifouling on the Doral, and with the rains we have had this year I have dived on her already! I normally get at least 12 mths depending on usage.
Thanks for the youtube link, looks good. I would be interested in hearing how long the shine lasts for. I have used a few products that looked great... until they got wet the first time:(

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have sent away for the Buff Magic and Pro-Polish (Yacht Brite products) along with the polisher...I could not wait! I have not recieved it yet. I also found a local seller from Ebay for a new Uniden DSC VHF radio.
I am in the process of replacing all of the foam in the interior cushions. They were smelling like fuel, so the new foam and a wash to the covers takes care of that.
....Can't wait till she coms out of storage!

ca_boats_1509_2.jpg

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's amazing how much difference a new set of cushions and a clean makes to a boat.
I have just finished my spring clean in autumn... Lifted all carpets and cushions and went to work with a bucket of multi purpose cleaner and a scourer, my 4 year old boat looks new again:D Next are the decks! I changed marinas in November, all was well until the vessel beside me left, now the flying rats use my pulpit as their vantage point for looking straight down the arm to open water:mad:

CaptJim LYC

Cadet

I purchased my Doral Cavalier last summer. Needs some TLC as well. I had the head liner reglued by a pro. I tried to do it myself with 3M spray but it really has to be taken down, cleaned (all the glue and foam is old) and then re-streched re-glued. He did the whole thing (it is a much bigger job than you think) for about $400 that included the mid birth ceiling.
I had the steering and shift cables replaced this fall (original equipment). I also had the hot water tank taken out to give me more room for the batteries. I added a small $30 microwave from Walmart. The Norcold fridge is not working but not up to spending a ton to buy a new one yet. Ice cooler works fine.

Can some one tell me what the small reservoir mounted on the stern bulk head, behind the engine on the port side is for? It is white plastic. Looks like it needs some fluid but I do not know what it is.DSCN2715.jpg

Last edited:

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchased my Doral Cavalier last summer. Needs some TLC as well. I had the head liner reglued by a pro. I tried to do it myself with 3M spray but it really has to be taken down, cleaned (all the glue and foam is old) and then re-streched re-glued. He did the whole thing (it is a much bigger job than you think) for about $400 that included the mid birth ceiling.
I had the steering and shift cables replaced this fall (original equipment). I also had the hot water tank taken out to give me more room for the batteries. I added a small $30 microwave from Walmart. The Norcold fridge is not working but not up to spending a ton to buy a new one yet. Ice cooler works fine.

Can some one tell me what the small reservoir mounted on the stern bulk head, behind the engine on the port side is for? It is white plastic. Looks like it needs some fluid but I do not know what it is.View attachment 90214

You got a steal at $400 if he did the entire headliner in your boat. I have a 1990 Prestancia, I gutted the boat, took down all the headliner on the ceiling and walls. Scrapped the old glue out down to the fiberglass with a Dremel Multi Tool then reinstalled the headliner. Materials alone were just under $400 and about 30-40 hours of my own labor with some help from my wife.

I also did my shift cables and bellows last summer. Ran like a new boat after I put it back in, I was amazed at how much of a difference the new shift cables made, I also had a bad momentary switch to top it off. I had to take out my hot water heater to replace it last winter, not a fun job. I also replaced the Norcold last winter cost about $600 for a AC/DC Norcold replacement.

To your last question, I have twins, but behind them in the center on the stern is a white containter, it is mounted on top of the hydraulic pump for the trim/tilt cylinders. Mine went low at the end of the year, after pulling my boat I found they were corroded where the pistons go in as well as the lines. I replaced them with new cylinders and lines from SEI. 1/4 of the price of OEM and I haven't had any problems.

Doral-Canvas

Cadet

Hi Kevin,
Congrats on purchasing your 1989 Doral Cavalier. If you have any questions in regards to Doral Boat Canvas, feel free to ask me.
Thanks, Rick Ostler

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Rick, do you actually do the canvas to original factory specs? Mines has an as delivered 1989 top... This could be interesting and you're so conveniently close...
-John

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello new to this forum and to doral boats. bought my 89 cavalier at the end of last season from original owners, has all original sales receipt and manuals . Had bayliners in the past,but after using the doral a few times at the end of last season, im loving it. im looking to do a few updates, like restain the teak and something with the counter top and tables.
What products would yous recommend and procedures. I like what klab010 did with his counter and teak. what kind of paint was used for the counter and is it standing up with time. I have a problem with the anchor pulpit, the danforth anchor doesnt sit very secure in it. there is only a single roller on the underside so the anchor rocks. not sure if something is missing. if someone had a pic of theirs so i could see how its supposed to sit would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey mrchev, welcome to the forum, glad to see another 89 Cavalier! My anchor seems to sit securely, I'll take some pics for you on the weekend. I've just finished redoing all my teak, used Cetol (teak colour) Great stuff, used it on my old boat, it wears like iron. Hope to hear more from you and we all look forward to seeing pics of your Doral!

xEclipse

Recruit

Hey all,

Another 89 Cavalier owner here. Going on my third summer and loving it. The Missus and I spend a LOT of time on the boat escaping her 2 monsters and my 2 monsters (All teenagers). Anyways, saw mention of a microwave installed onboard. Anyone have any pictures? I am getting a BBQ this week (Magma ain't cheap), and a micro would make things even better. Actually, if anyone has done any galley upgrades and wants to share pics that would be awesome!

Happy Boating!

Darrell

georgianbaybouy

Recruit

My first post to the site.

I've had my '87 Cavalier for two seasons- a very efficient boat with excellent space utilization.

I just dropped in a new block into my 87 Cavalier.

My front hatch latches are broken- it is like an "L" shape. Does anyone know where to find replacements?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I think someone told me you need to go to Taylor, I need those latches too as well as one of the support things was missing when I got the boat last August, welcome to the site :D
Hope to see some pics of your Cavalier posted real soon

Hi I have a 1987 Cavilier well kept. I just got it a couple weeks ago. Love it! Ceiling carpet is sagging a bit to and i want to get rid of the pin stripes. Thanks for the tips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.