1989 Doral Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Doral Cavalier

Kev,

I can't get any pictures right now. My boat is already shrink wrapped. Attached is a picture from this summer, before putting on the new decals. I took the pin strips along the water line. Actually made the boat look better in my opionion. I used a pin stripe eraser, zipped them right off. I still get into the boat through the door in the shrink wrap to work on winter time projects. It's nice only 5 minutes from work.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Chief, what is this 'pinstripe eraser' you speak of? I've been doing the heat n peel thing and it's taking me forever to get them off. Way too many nicks in 'em I guess

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you go to Google and type in Pin Stripe Eraser it will come right up. It is a eraser wheel that is made to go on a air tool, or you can use a drilll to spin it. It zips the old stripes/decals right off clean. They run about $10.00 each. I would get 2 of them, I used 1 and part of another taking some of the pinstripes off from my boat.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Perfect! I'm gonna get one! thanks :)

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would like to get one too. Where did you get yours? I tried a few places on line and they ren 25$+.

Kev

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks..I ended up finding one on ebay with cheap shipping.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They work great. I am going to get another one, I have to take me Michigan Numbers off and put on Maryland Numbers.

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They work great. I am going to get another one, I have to take me Michigan Numbers off and put on Maryland Numbers.

How quick do they wear down? I want to do all the pinstriping and decals and don't want to be stuck without an extra. what do you think?

Kev

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Kev.
A lot of my stripes just peeled off with a lil heat (warm Oct. sun, lol) I'm thinking a heat gun will get rid of most and that pinstripe eraser can do the hard stuff.
John

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a good plan. thanks!

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just took off the boot stripe along the water line and one of the pin stripping lines above the rub rail and I used one. I will need another one to continue on my updating of my boat.

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya know what, I am going to order another just to be sure!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

ya, best not to run out, They put way too many tape stripes on hulls in those days
Actually, I came across an '83 Citation yesterday at the marina in Pickering, it had a completely white hull, not even the 2 tone gel and it had only 2 port holes (in the aft cabin) instead of the 6 like the newer versions had, but, without the stripes it had a nice clean look to it. Seemed to make it look larger as well. It also had that nasty old style OMC bag stern drive, next best thing to those old volvos that the Bayliner crowd seems to covet :rolleyes:

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The plan is to remove all the pintripes/name decals etc, use Buff magic and Pro polish to new up the hull, bottom paint, then add the new boat name and chrome Doral badges to each side. I am taking 4 days to work on these updates along with a page of other good stuff to do in May. I am counting the days till then. I am really looking forward to it!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Nice! Those are exactly my plans, we'll have to compare pics in the spring Kev

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JBF, what are you planning to you as far as a machine to buff and polish? The Shurhold Dual action polisher looks good, I just wish I did not have to send away to Florida for it (Ebay has them too). I would like to find a dealer in Ontario that might have them on the shelf. ANy other maching ideas?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

well, my gels actually in really good shape from always being moored in a covered slip so I'm hoping with some decent product to use my old Makita orbiting polisher and clean it up. But, you're right to be thinking about this Kev, the time is growing near. What products are you thinking of using?
John

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Hull is quite chalky and oxidized, so I will need to use something aggressive like Buff Magic before polishing with Pro-Polish. These seem to have the best reviews and Only want to do it once and then its just about maintenance.

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi JBF- Any pics of the boat with the chrome badges yet? I am going to order them...just getting the itch to see how they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.