1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nidacore is the one that is no longer made. 3M bought it but stopped making it.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
funny thing about this stuff is i think i have used it before but it was for setting material in concrete lol it smelled looked and felt same , you know how it is they come up with something and use it across different industrys under different names ... i do like the arjay stuff only reason i didn't use seacast was because i figured boat manifacture's used arjay that was good enough for me, now that i have researched more seems seacast would have been just as good

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'm not sure Mick is really working on anything with out pics ya know? :) And btw I need you warm weather guys to get me thru the winter...jonesingggggg.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i been trying to get some pics of worthwhile things lol i mean i could post pic of form work but i figured id post after i got it poured and stripped:)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well i havent done squat this week and feeling guilty about it so imma get back to grind this week with a lil time off and get it moving pics incoming Kc i promise:)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
is 60 Degrees the lowest temp you want to work on poly resins? i thought it was but wasn't sure.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
is 60 Degrees the lowest temp you want to work on poly resins? i thought it was but wasn't sure.

The catalyst mix chart for resin that I used starts at 60 degrees. I don't think it is recommended to use polyester resin below that temp.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
here is how i did it more pics to come

Attachments

• photo282783.jpg
    photo282783.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
  • photo282784.jpg
    photo282784.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Could you have laid up your inside skin and tabbed it all in ? Hopefully the transom stuff does not melt the foam when you pour ...Just thinking ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Could you have laid up your inside skin and tabbed it all in ? Hopefully the transom stuff does not melt the foam when you pour ...Just thinking ..

nope didn't melt it but wood stuck a bit because i got held up instead so i have a wee bit of grinding to do before doing inner skin, i had thought about trying to do inner skin then sliding a spacer out leaving cavity but i feared would be too flimsy and warp so i chose this method the real part of transom was only from stringers to the outdrive hole , rest was just 1/4 inch wood for through hull support of the odds and ends and the transom was actually 5 pieces of wood seperated by a thin layer of glass between them , guess thought was if one rotted it wouldnt rot all of them .

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
now comes fun part lol grinding around everything smoothing it all out and then covering it , only thing i fear is getting the outdrive hole perfectly flat, any ideas i could see where it wasn't flat before and guy caulked all around it ugh luckily i have a whole complete outdrive that's in perfect shape i will be replacing the old crap with.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good to hear it didn't melt .. That could have been a real mess ...:lol:
My luck it would have ..:facepalm:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i tried it first :) i made a square mixed a bit poured it in and tested, with the amout of money it cost i wasnt gonna chance it, i had one small pinhole and it bled a bit but other then that the wood is more what im aggrivated at lolbut pvc board was flawless pulling off , but if id left for another hour or 2 that might had been bad lol i just can't wait to get it done and recapped
looks like hell all catawaompus lol.
we have been kicking around de-capping it totally but im not sure i need to , guess depends what i find in the tank if tank in bad shape imma do it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like a challenge goin on there. Well if anyone can knock it out it would be you Mick.!;) You go boy!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So are you able to tell how the double pour turned out?

looks perfect no cold joints, i felt a ton better once i realised this stuff had fiber in it , it says there wont be a cold joint , i used acitone on the area anyways to be sure it was clean before second pour. pics to come :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well winter sux, but i got side tracked , had to put a new fence up the old one was only held together by the years of paint , the bugs hollowed it out! that being almost finished im about to get on finishing the transom ... working on boats is way more fun then working on fences! :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
looking for ideas is it better to use paint or gel cote and if painting i don't want to do acrylic again i want gloss and durability. what types of paint should i look at that will make the boat look awesome and last forever?